Spyder Garage

Default POSS.HELPFUL INFO. FOR TIRE WEAR/PROLONGING TIRE LIFE?

For those of you worried about squeezing the most mileage out of your tires,here's a trick that has helped me in the off-road world,I.E.much larger tires on 4x4 trucks and jeeps. What I do is take a piece of white chaulk(any vibrant color will do though) and draw a line rt to lt across the tire tread.then I fuel,load said vehicle as I would when I am using it for the intended purpose,then I drive said vehicle up or down my driveway about 10 to 15 feet(enough to give the tires one or two complete rotations)and check to see how the chaulk line has rubbed-off.If it has rubbed-off in the center of the tire there is too much air,if it has rubbed-off on the outside edges,there is not enough air in them. With alittle experimentation with the air hose you could be runnig straight across the tread pattern, For our 14 RT LIM. it seems to be 24lbs. in the front and 32lbs. in the rear(I noticed with the recomended press. in the front, the tires looked like they were "rolling-under" on the sides from cornering). I hope this helps some of you folks out there in spyder land. Be safe and ride on!!

Spyder Garage

Default Great advise. but

What happens when you start riding and the air in the tyre heats up and the pressure increases ?
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE WEAR......

Good point and yes that could be a factor. Most press. change I have noticed in my off-road vehicle tires(pavement driving of coarse) is 3 lbs. by then you will be burning fuel off,cleaning bugs off windsheild(vehicle becoming lighter)ect.,so could it make a differance,I say possibly. WE could be splitting "hairs" here but in my unprofessional experience I have been able to squeeze an extra 3,000 to 5,000 miles out of a set of mud lug tread type tires.Ride safe and ride far!
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 06-28-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

what about the balooning factor when traveling at speed. The outer edges wear at low speeds and the center at higher speeds. If you run the pressure on the high side your gonna wear the centers a lot faster. The 14's have the new engine and it produces more horse power and more low end torque. Those used to ryding the prior RT's are used to getting on them harder because you needed to be up on the rpm's to get into the torque range. This carries over and the tires are wearing out prematurely. Though there is also talk of some bad tires...nice trick on the inflation will try it out..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    what about the balooning factor when traveling at speed. The outer edges wear at low speeds and the center at higher speeds.
    That is the biggest issue with the stock tires. In countless threads no one has been able to give a definitive tire pressure for wear throughout high and low speed use. Whether low or high pressure, it's going to egg in the center at high speed. Solution is to use stiffer car tire. The chalk idea is a good one and would be more useful with a tire that doesn't dramatically change its shape.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Front tire pressure...

I've been running 22 psi in the original front tires of my 2010 RT. I have 28,000 aggressive miles on them, and they look almost like new. I have been running 32 psi in my rears (Kenda, Kuhmo, Kuhmo), and getting much better wear from the Kuhmo's.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Kenda tires are not even good on my other trike,... less than 400 miles had the center tread scrubbed off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default You have to determine what works for you

Having run two car tires on my previous '11 RT, I'm now on the first one on the '14. Kenda was nearly shot by 4500mi. With 8000 now on the Pirelli, its wearing evenly as best as the eye can tell, with no discernible wear. With the '11 and now with the '14 I find a low pressure seems to work best for me. I'm running 24 in the rear, 18 front.

Since all of us have diff riding styles, diff roads, diff speeds you have to work out what wears best for you.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)