Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My upper heat block mod

The heat from the radiator on my 2013 RT was too much for my foot when I have it up on my highway peg. I decided to make my own using a 2014 RT right side grill.

First I cut the bottom of the grill and a couple of tabs off and then heated and reshaped the bottom to more closely match the shape of left side grill.

Grill mod.jpg Grill reshape.jpg

Next I cut a piece of aluminum sheet to fit the perimeter shape of the grill. Using aluminum duct tape I taped it to the grill plastic. Aluminum duct tape can take the heat and sticks for ages. It's painted flat black on the side that shows through the grill.

Cut sheet metal.jpg Metal taped to grill.jpg

I cut a couple of holes in the duct plastic behind and below the radiator. I had earlier removed the bottom plastic shield when I installed the Spyder Pop's Bump Guard. Then I used a Dremel with a right angle attachment and spiral cutter to enlarge the hole. This is to allow as free a flow of the radiator air as possible.

Dremel cutting.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 06-26-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Part 2

Here's a pic of the grill in place. I left the tab on the grill and drilled a hole the same size. A push pin left over from the bump skid install holds the grill in place.

Grill in place.jpg

This is what it looks like when finished.

Final fit.jpg
    Best of all, in what little testing I've had time to do, it works great. I can now leave my foot on the highway peg without it getting burned up.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 06-26-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

great job. That will certainly fix the problem of heat on your foot when on the highway pegs. Looks great and others can benefit from the pictorial...thanks and congrats..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is really ingenious! Ever think of marketing a kit?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice work!

Registered Users Top End Unlimited's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Very Nice !

I will be building one this week. Does your temp stay good on the gauge ? Thanks, Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Top End Unlimited View Post
    I will be building one this week. Does your temp stay good on the gauge ? Thanks, Chuck
    Yes.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Can I use these parts and process on a 2011?
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Default Being new to Spyders, I wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here's a pic of the grill in place. I left the tab on the grill and drilled a hole the same size. A push pin left over from the bump skid install holds the grill in place.

Grill in place.jpg

This is what it looks like when finished.

Final fit.jpg
    Best of all, in what little testing I've had time to do, it works great. I can now leave my foot on the highway peg without it getting burned up.
    ...what effect blocking this air flow has on the engine? I have read about blocking the hole, but how does the engine get enough air flow to keep cool? I have a 2010 RT SM5... and my foot gets HOT!
    flame-fire-orange-flammable.jpg

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Arrow Hot enough to pop corn

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    ...what effect blocking this air flow has on the engine? I have read about blocking the hole, but how does the engine get enough air flow to keep cool? I have a 2010 RT SM5... and my foot gets HOT!
    He blocked the upper but the lower is still open. If you notice he uses highway pegs and blocking the upper keeps the heat off when his legs are up. Would still get the heat if he was on the stock pegs. It's a trade off....block one or the other but not both and you'll be fine.

Edit: If you do not have the NEW upper air vents that came about because of the heat issues, you should do that too. Those, along with blocking which ever radiator discharge hole you decide on will make a world of difference.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 03-29-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Remove the plastic panel underneath. I don't know if the 2010 has the plastic shroud like I show, but if so you have to cut a hole in it. Yeah, you do have to make sure you leave a path open for the air to flow away from the radiator. I saw no heating problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default I do see the difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    He blocked the upper but the lower is still open. If you notice he uses highway pegs and blocking the upper keeps the heat off when his legs are up. Would still get the heat if he was on the stock pegs. It's a trade off....block one or the other but not both and you'll be fine.

Edit: If you do not have the NEW upper air vents that came about because of the heat issues, you should do that too. Those, along with blocking which ever radiator discharge hole you decide on will make a world of difference.
    ...between the upper and lower holes on that side. I will go out and look at my 2010 RT SM5 and see what I can do to get that heat off my foot. I guess I could ryde with my right foot up on the handlebar...

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up FYI

...between the upper and lower holes on that side. I will go out and look at my 2010 RT SM5 and see what I can do to get that heat off my foot. I guess I could ryde with my right foot up on the handlebar...

You can fab something yourself or...... RT LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE - SPYDERPOPS

If your legs are long enough you could add stirrups to the front fenders too

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't need this mod (2014) but I'm impressed with the pics. I wish more would post good pictures of their custom farkling so others could follow suit.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The heat from the radiator on my 2013 RT was too much for my foot when I have it up on my highway peg. I decided to make my own using a 2014 RT right side grill.

First I cut the bottom of the grill and a couple of tabs off and then heated and reshaped the bottom to more closely match the shape of left side grill.

Grill mod.jpg Grill reshape.jpg

Next I cut a piece of aluminum sheet to fit the perimeter shape of the grill. Using aluminum duct tape I taped it to the grill plastic. Aluminum duct tape can take the heat and sticks for ages. It's painted flat black on the side that shows through the grill.

Cut sheet metal.jpg Metal taped to grill.jpg

I cut a couple of holes in the duct plastic behind and below the radiator. I had earlier removed the bottom plastic shield when I installed the Spyder Pop's Bump Guard. Then I used a Dremel with a right angle attachment and spiral cutter to enlarge the hole. This is to allow as free a flow of the radiator air as possible.

Dremel cutting.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Yankee ingenuity at it's finest!

He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799