Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Going to a car tire

I am going to mount a car tire on the rear of my 2014 RT-S. Would like some input on the make and size that you are running.
    Are there any that are the exact size as the OEM?
    Any input will help.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richard123 View Post
    I am going to mount a car tire on the rear of my 2014 RT-S. Would like some input on the make and size that you are running.
    Any input will help.
    Thanks
    Kuhmo ast 225/50 R15 is a good choice...12000mi on mine and showing no real sign of wear...

freebob...

Spyder Garage

Default Car tire

Kumho ecsta is the same size I buy mine at tire direct for 81 dollars with free shipping takes about three to five days to get it. Thats the tire alot of people use on here.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

search tires here and you will get everything you need to know and then some. Then pick who you trust the most and get what he's got. But if you go with a car tire in the back then go with the same in front...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't like the choices in the stock size. Went with 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy. There are a lot of choices in this size, I went for wear and traction. The tire was $140 at a local tire store that mounted it on the rim for me. I did the rest of the work and there is no difference in feel from the Kenda. Still running the stock Kendas up front and see no need to change them. The speedometer is almost right on with the GPS now.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Throw another vote on the Kumho Ecsta AST pile...
    In the OEM's 225/50-15 size!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA T

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    search tires here and you will get everything you need to know and then some. Then pick who you trust the most and get what he's got. But if you go with a car tire in the back then go with the same in front...
    I'm not going to get into a p*ss*ing contest about this BUT ....There is no valid reason to change out the KENDA front tires until they are worn out.......For all intensive purposes the only absolute difference between KENDA CAR TIRES ( 4-ply )and KENDA MTC. TIRES.( 2 ply )).........the mtc tires state they are MTC tires ..........What you never want to do is mix tires on the SAME AXEL ..................Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-25-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Throw another vote on the Kumho Ecsta AST pile...
    In the OEM's 225/50-15 size!
    I just picked up one this morning at Discount Tire in Aurona, CO for $81 and will see about having it mounted at the Fun Center in Durango on Saturday
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Rear...

Front...
    Nice looking tires..Good brand..Hope they work out for you.....

Freebob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not going to get into a p*ss*ing contest about this BUT ....There is no valid reason to change out the KENDA front tires until they are worn out.......For all intensive purposes the only absolute difference between KENDA CAR TIRES ( 4-ply )and KENDA MTC. TIRES.( 2 ply )).........the mtc tires state they are MTC tires ..........What you never want to do is mix tires on the SAME AXEL ..................Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richard123 View Post
    Any input will help.
    Thanks

Hi,

Curious as to why you are going with a car tire.

Joe

Spyder Garage

Following this thread with great interest. 7200km(4500miles) and I'm down to the wear bars. That's just not acceptable.

Spyder Garage

Default Why I replaced my OEM

Quote Originally Posted by tplayer49 View Post
    Hi,

Curious as to why you are going with a car tire.

Joe
    I ran only OEM, Kendas, on my 2010 RT. Satisfied with the life of those tires.
    Then I purchased the 2014 RTS. Why did I replace my rear Kenda with a car tire? 3800 miles at wear bars and I do NOT..spin out or in anyway over use. As an FYI..trailer tires on '14 (purchased same time as RTS) 622 (also Kendas) gone at 3000 miles. Front Kendas on '14...are cupping...IMHO I'm thinking that BRP has either asked Kenda to create a formula for the tires that is not holding up OR BRP got a "bad" batch .. don't know, but not acceptable to me. I am at Owner's Event and I will be taking all my data with me to meet with BRP directly. I have the best dealer in the world, Len of Pitbull Powersports and he is "taking me" to the BRP person. So I will let SL's know what my results are. I have already replaced the rear tire...certainly not safe to drive it, but I have everything I need to "discuss" situation.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    Actually ...
    "Guyver" has a pretty valid point!
    They'll wear-out soon enough on their own ; just change them at that time!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post

Not sure why you seem to be disagreeing with Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911). He makes a very valid point.

I see nothing wrong with the "same" tires on the front wheels & a different brand on the back. Our Spyders are not 2 wheeled motorcycles where it is a no no.
    Last edited by oldgoat; 06-26-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike does sometimes; bring out the best in folks...

Spyder Garage

What is the possibility of running a slightly wider rear tire than stock on an RSS? How much extra room is there inside the rear fender back there? I never really looked to see what could be possible. Nothing crazy, maybe a 235 or 245 as opposed to the stock 225?

Curious to hear if anyone has gone slightly wider without removing rear fender.

By the way...the yokohoma S drive tires are awesome!! Really badass looking and they are an excellent sport performance tire!! I had my 4.2 V8 S4 wrapped in them and the AWD loved them!! They were really grippy and excellent in rain as well. Highly recommend.
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Spyder Garage

Default " S " DRIVE

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSpyder View Post
    What is the possibility of running a slightly wider rear tire than stock on an RSS? How much extra room is there inside the rear fender back there? I never really looked to see what could be possible. Nothing crazy, maybe a 235 or 245 as opposed to the stock 225?

By the way...the yokohoma S drive tirs are awesome!! Really badass looking and they are an excellent sport performance tire!! I had my 4.2 V8 S4 wrapped in them and the AWD loved them!! They were really grippy and excellent in rain as well. Highly recommend.
    OMG.....Someone actually took my advice ( from 4 months ago ) 185/55-14 ( for front ) these have the widest footprint of any tire that will fit inside the front fenders .....Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default WIDER REAR TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSpyder View Post

By the way...the yokohoma S drive tires are awesome!! Really badass looking and they are an excellent sport performance tire!! I had my 4.2 V8 S4 wrapped in them and the AWD loved them!! They were really grippy and excellent in rain as well. Highly recommend.
    ....Good Luck with that....( rear tire ).........Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default YOU DEVIL YOOU

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike does sometimes; bring out the best in folks...
    ....I try Bob, I try ....................Mikeguyver..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Good Luck with that....( rear tire ).........Mikeguyver

Please elaborate, oh wise one
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd be just guessing...
    But you've got the swingarm and rear brake stays, to worry about!
    (And we haven't even mentioned the drivebelt yet!)
    But then; I haven't looked all that closely at it...

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As a tire shop & spyder owner i would not recommend using the kumho ast. kumho is one of our house brands & are good tires, first the ast is being discontinued, second it is an all season tire & i don't like to mix a/s & summer tires on the same car & more so on a bike. the load index & speed rating come up good but if the ground were wet or you go through a puddle there could be some problems on under steer. ABS braking system requires the same type of tires to work correctly.

For the computer to work correctly the rolling circumference for front & rear should be within 3% of each other.
    Unfortunately i can't get m/c tires but i still will stay with the correct ones for my bike. 2013 rt-s fully fully loaded, just got it in May of this year.
    My wife & i wear full riding gear & i take no chances with a bike.
    I bought my spyder because my wife & i believe it is the safest motorcycle we have ever seen & to save a few dollars i won't compromise.

I am doing my wheels color matched pearl yellow to my bike next week, full yellow with cnc/brushed face. Pressure 15f 28r 76 torque.

AL'S HUBCAPS & WHEEL REPAIR
    490 JERICHO TPKE.
    MINEOLA, NY 11501
    516-742-6823

P.S. we can mount & road force syders just can't get the tires wholesale. I am also looking for spyders on long island that want to ride on sundays.
    al

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"ABS braking system requires the same type of tires to work correctly."

There's really nothing magical about ABS... it merely senses wheel lock-up, and applies braking forces to the affected wheel(s)...
    Noboby is saying that you have to use something other than the Kendas...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Not sure why you seem to be disagreeing with Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911). He makes a very valid point.

I see nothing wrong with the "same" tires on the front wheels & a different brand on the back. Our Spyders are not 2 wheeled motorcycles where it is a no no.
    Why is that? On my GL1800, I run a michelin Primacy Alpin run flat winter tire on the back, and a Bridgestone G709 on the front and feel it is one of the best set ups for traction and safety. There are many that run differeent brands, and even types of tires from front to rear with no issues depending on what they are looking for.
    Last edited by bug's zedi; 06-26-2014 at 11:33 AM.