Spyder Garage

Default Question on rear airbag

Well we took our first extended road trip this past weekend, about 300 miles around Lake Lure NC. Trip was awesome and weather perfect. Before we left I manually adjusted the rear airbag to 65 psi. The next morning when we set up to leave, I checked the pressure and it had dropped to 25 psi so I adjusted back up to 65 psi. Pressure had dropped to 57 psi when I checked late yesterday so I sprayed fittings and valve but didn't find any leaks so far. Should the pressure drop like that? I did take a compressor with us but you shouldn't have to add air everyday, I wouldn't think. Also the suspension display on the dash only shows up when I adjust the windshield up or down, shows for a few seconds and then goes back off. It continually shows 4 bars no matter what the psi is in the airbag. Why is that?

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 Rt and have set my rear psi only once in the past year. If you dont find a quick fix here, go back to the dealer.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your going to have to go deeper. Pump up the system, start pulling some plastic and go at soaping down the components and look for the leak.
    Shouldn't be to difficult to find, just time consuming.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Your going to have to go deeper. Pump up the system, start pulling some plastic and go at soaping down the components and look for the leak.
    Shouldn't be to difficult to find, just time consuming.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Yeah that's what I did yesterday. Only fitting I couldn't get to was the one on the top of the airbag. Didn't have enough time to take the plastic off under the seat to get to it. Why does the suspension display 4th bar all the time no matter how much psi is in the airbag?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    Well we took our first extended road trip this past weekend, about 300 miles around Lake Lure NC. Trip was awesome and weather perfect. Before we left I manually adjusted the rear airbag to 65 psi. The next morning when we set up to leave, I checked the pressure and it had dropped to 25 psi so I adjusted back up to 65 psi. Pressure had dropped to 57 psi when I checked late yesterday so I sprayed fittings and valve but didn't find any leaks so far. Should the pressure drop like that? I did take a compressor with us but you shouldn't have to add air everyday, I wouldn't think. Also the suspension display on the dash only shows up when I adjust the windshield up or down, shows for a few seconds and then goes back off. It continually shows 4 bars no matter what the psi is in the airbag. Why is that?
    My 2012 RT leaks down to 10 psi or less overnight. I mentioned it to the service manager at my dealer and he said he had NEVER heard of that problem before. He wanted to keep the RT for a week to see what could be diagnosed. The weather was too fine for that to happen so I declined. Never seem to find the time to leave it there. I just routinely air up each time I get ready to ride. I have not had an overnight ride yet but carry a small compressor in the rear trunk for tire troubles. I am going to dealer again next week and see what they will do. I note from earlier posts on this subject that the air bladder is NOT covered under warranty. Wonder how many HUNDREDS of dollars that will cost me?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    What Model RT do you have? From the write up you have a Model that has the compressor and you can adjust the bag from the switch on the console. If this is true this explains why you see 4 bars. The Automatic Control Sensor is working and setting the bag to what the last setting in the computer that the switch set. Without adding air start the SPYDER up, the compressor will add air to the bag bassed on the computer setting if needed. Now check the air pressure. While setting you stated you are slowly loseing air and I would suspect it is the fitting on the bag.
    I have a RT audio and convience model. It doesn't have the button on the console for the compressor. So I have to add air manually. But for whatever reason it always shows 4 bars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you DON'T have the ACS system; forget whatever you see on the dash about bars and settings.
    It's not hooked up to anything on the bike...
    Use your pressure gauge, and check it before each ride. (While you're also checking your tire pressures! )
    Leaking isn't normal; have your dealer fix it!
    And NEVER run it with less than 10 psi anyway; you'll bust something expensive!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you DON'T have the ACS system; forget whatever you see on the dash about bars and settings.
    It's not hooked up to anything on the bike...
    Use your pressure gauge, and check it before each ride. (While you're also checking your tire pressures! )
    Leaking isn't normal; have your dealer fix it!
    And NEVER run it with less than 10 psi anyway; you'll bust something expensive!
    Ok that helps alot. I think I'll get a small bicycle pump and keep it the trunk for adding air until I get the leak fixed. Seems like most of the leaks come from the top fitting. Aggravating getting the compressor out everytime.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The top fitting?
    If the Schraeder valve needs to be tightened up a bit; you can pick up a tire valve cap, that has the correct tool built right into it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redflasher View Post
    My 2012 RT leaks down to 10 psi or less overnight. I mentioned it to the service manager at my dealer and he said he had NEVER heard of that problem before. He wanted to keep the RT for a week to see what could be diagnosed. The weather was too fine for that to happen so I declined. Never seem to find the time to leave it there. I just routinely air up each time I get ready to ride. I have not had an overnight ride yet but carry a small compressor in the rear trunk for tire troubles. I am going to dealer again next week and see what they will do. I note from earlier posts on this subject that the air bladder is NOT covered under warranty. Wonder how many HUNDREDS of dollars that will cost me?
    Had the same issue on a 2014 RT. I would set it to 60 then next day would be 30. I tried giving the fill valve a half turn tightening it and it seemed to do the trick.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The top fitting?
    If the Schraeder valve needs to be tightened up a bit; you can pick up a tire valve cap, that has the correct tool built right into it.
    Yes, if I'm correct there should be a fitting on the very top of the airbag. Not the schrader valve under the seat. I checked that and the hose yesterday.

Spyder Garage

I had to replace the air bag on my 2010 RT, do not remember how much. I added the Baker built (SL sponsor)set up to it and use that to change air pressure when I need to. The compressor on this system can be taken out and used. It has about a 5 ft cord or more on it.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Leaks..!!

all the above covers what you can do if you can get deeper in you may find the leak. It should not leak down and your next step should be to have the dealer check it and see what they find.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's one thing to remember about that rear shock pressure...
    It's a very small supply of air, so it is VERY sensitive to temperature changes...
    It is really best to try and take your readings under consistent temperatures and conditions...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    Yes, if I'm correct there should be a fitting on the very top of the airbag. Not the schrader valve under the seat. I checked that and the hose yesterday.

I've tried tightening the valve core and also changing caps for the valve. Still leaks. Just talked to the dealer. I'll be bringing it in next Tuesday so they can take a look.