Spyder Garage

Default After 3yrs of ownership only 2 continuing complaints

We have had our 2011 Spyder for 3yrs now and have 40,000+ miles and we still have 2 issues we have not gotten resolved in the time we have had the Spyder.

1. When we are with friends and we use the cb it NEVER goes back to the IPod when we are done talking, it ALWAYS goes to AUX. I then have to pull off and turn off spyder and take out key. I come back start spyder and all is well until someone talks to us on the CB.
    The wife gets really ticked as she loves her music . The cb was part of the communication system that was an option we elected to have to be able to communicate with our kids and others that we ride with. The other part of this that the passenger on our spyder can't hear what the person who is talking to us is saying and when she pushes the push to talk button they can't hear her. Wife is usually passenger and she has been getting big time frustrated with the whole cb issue. Wife likes to communicate with the kids and grandkids in the car when we are doing trips with them and she can't.

2. the GAS smell you get when stopped.
    They purged valve was supposedly replace last yr. I believe. Still it gets really strong to the point of gaging strong.

Over all outside of these 2 issues our Spyder has never left us stranded or had to be towed.
    If we could get these 2 issues resolved then I would have a Happy Wife and a Happy Life.

Happy Ryding
    Darrell & Cindy
    2011 Orbital Blue CanAm Spyder RT-S se5 w/ Communication System & trailer hitch, Arm Rests, Elkas shocks, Baja Ron swaybar & spark plugs and wires, Custom dynamatics fender lights & third brake light, Seal floorboard "PUP" floor boards, CycleMate utility Trailer and Sena 20s with dongle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ability of 2011 may not able to provide what you wanted. Then you can always get people and pay what ever you need to get done. Consult electronic store that deals with what you need. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Interesting. Your whole CB issue sounds like a mess. I would have probably junked it by now and tried a different option or technology. Why do you continue to try to use a system which is does not fulfill your needs and leaves you frustrated? Not sure what other options are out there as I have only researched helmet headsets for communication while ryding.

The gas smell doesn't sound very good either. I don't have it with my 2012 RSS at all, weird. Did they address the gas smell issue with 2012 models or is your 2011 an outlier and abnormal? I don't think I would mind it as I love the smell of gas lol. Maybe I'm weird because I also love the smell of exhaust! But regardless, it shouldn't be smelling like gas clearly.

Other than that though it sounds like you have had a good experience with the overall!
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you might have a ground problem.

Are you using the correct iPod cable for the 2011, the one with the small box on the cable?

Also, she is using the inline cable PTT button for the rear headset, correct?
    Last edited by stevedfive; 06-19-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Getting a CAT bypass at Durango and hoping that will help with the rising heat around the gas tank. i.e. gas fumes. I have the same annoying problem only when temps are 95+

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Couple View Post
    We have had our 2011 Spyder for 3yrs now and have 40,000+ miles and we still have 2 issues we have not gotten resolved in the time we have had the Spyder.

1. When we are with friends and we use the cb it NEVER goes back to the IPod when we are done talking, it ALWAYS goes to AUX. I then have to pull off and turn off spyder and take out key. I come back start spyder and all is well until someone talks to us on the CB.
    The wife gets really ticked as she loves her music . The cb was part of the communication system that was an option we elected to have to be able to communicate with our kids and others that we ride with. The other part of this that the passenger on our spyder can't hear what the person who is talking to us is saying and when she pushes the push to talk button they can't hear her. Wife is usually passenger and she has been getting big time frustrated with the whole cb issue. Wife likes to communicate with the kids and grandkids in the car when we are doing trips with them and she can't.

2. the GAS smell you get when stopped.
    They purged valve was supposedly replace last yr. I believe. Still it gets really strong to the point of gaging strong.

Over all outside of these 2 issues our Spyder has never left us stranded or had to be towed.
    If we could get these 2 issues resolved then I would have a Happy Wife and a Happy Life.

Happy Ryding
    Sounds like you've had pretty good luck with your Spyder. I have the same 2011 with 18k miles no problems. Couple of questions if you don't mind. What mileage did you have to put plugs in and did you have the valve clearances checked as recommended? Thanks, John

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    Sounds like you might have a ground problem.

Are you using the correct iPod cable for the 2011, the one with the small box on the cable? yes

Also, she is using the inline cable PTT button for the rear headset, correct?
    yes
    Last edited by Spyder Couple; 06-19-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Darrell & Cindy
    2011 Orbital Blue CanAm Spyder RT-S se5 w/ Communication System & trailer hitch, Arm Rests, Elkas shocks, Baja Ron swaybar & spark plugs and wires, Custom dynamatics fender lights & third brake light, Seal floorboard "PUP" floor boards, CycleMate utility Trailer and Sena 20s with dongle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    Sounds like you've had pretty good luck with your Spyder. I have the same 2011 with 18k miles no problems. Couple of questions if you don't mind. What mileage did you have to put plugs in and did you have the valve clearances checked as recommended? Thanks, John
    John, Yes we had valve adjusted. We did sparks plugs and wires at 21,800 only because we were having over heating issues. Plugs and wires were from Baja Ron.
    Darrell & Cindy