Thread: RS windscreens

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RS windscreens

I just bought a 2014 RS with the standard windscreen. BRP offers a screen about 4" taller. I am 5' 10" and I am wondering is that screen tall enough. I am not looking for "Gold Wing" wind protection, just a screen to take the brunt of the wind blast so that a jaunt down an open highway is less tiring. Any suggestions ?

Spyder Garage

I settled for a Givi windshield. Did the same as you, bought the upgrade and wasn't enough...iiiiii.jpg

I like the look and not too big...OOOPS, I am a 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I did..!!

MSR from Twisted Throttle...works well and adjustable..20130220_124259.jpg Check with them for other sizes...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Adjustable windscreens

I have tried many but the best by far was Madstad. www.madstad.com. Infinitely adjustable, smooth airflow.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default calsci - madstad

the cal-sci is good, but wasn't quite tall enough for me. i'm 6-1. the madstad fits me perfectly, does a great job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coz; 06-19-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Got to throw a for the CalSci Tinted Shorty! It's about 7.5" taller than the stock RS windshield and is about the sexiest looking windshield around. Goes really nicely with the looks of the sporty RS!

2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Spyder Garage

My vote goes to MadStad also! They are very well built and fully adjustable to any riders needs. When buying a fixed mount windshield you get what you get. With the MadStad you make it what you want. Also they have a very helpful staff, so call them and explain your situation. They will tell you what size windshield to buy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSpyder View Post
    Got to throw a for the CalSci Tinted Shorty! It's about 7.5" taller than the stock RS windshield and is about the sexiest looking windshield around. Goes really nicely with the looks of the sporty RS!

That looks good and shorter than mine, I bought the CalSci taller one for winter and turned into the windshield from hell and cost me another $50.00 to fix. I have a BRP sports/touring windshield and love it for summer riding and I love it.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RS windscreens

Thank you for all of the advice. It narrows it down to a few GOOD choices.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

hey i just installed a new wind screen on my 2009 GS - Cee Baileys, check out the web site, very affordable at $150.
    Just the job also, just came back from a 3 day ride of more than 900 miles and really made a big difference in the fatique factor.

Spyder Garage

Cool

I have the 14" Can-Am windshield and like it just fine. It blocks wind and debris from my neck down basically, so my helmet still gets plenty of airflow thru it's vents and scoops and such to keep me from sweltering in the Texas summer heat! And it looks much better than the OEM 10" windshield the RS machines come with (which reminded me of an overgrown toe-nail in fact... yuk!). I'm 5'10" also.

Regards!

- Michael

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

madstad is the way to go!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    My vote goes to MadStad also! They are very well built and fully adjustable to any riders needs. When buying a fixed mount windshield you get what you get. With the MadStad you make it what you want. Also they have a very helpful staff, so call them and explain your situation. They will tell you what size windshield to buy.

Spyder Garage

I bought the adjustable windshield from baggershield.com. It is 14" with the base shield and 21" with the extension piece. I love it because you keep your sport lookuploadfromtaptalk1403491761069.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403491783156.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Badgershield

I went through a couple for my RS-S. I'm using the "Badgershield" right now, which offers a second, flip-up portion that you have to screw-in and tucks when not in use. It's wider and higher than OEM but not as silly looking as the "touring BRP" one. Changing out to the higher-option it comes with requires you pull-over. There's other names for this screen, such as ShowChrome, but I got the "Badger Shield" one because I liked the name better.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/catalog/...Windshield.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...363147&vxp=mtr

I found the other offerings tended to be very H.R.Giger of Alien design like the queen Alien from the film Aliens (1986) and it was too crazy. The Badger Shield (when down) keeps the OEM "look" in my opinion and provides decent protection. You're still hit by the wind but it's more like a double-bubble sport-bike wind-feel if that makes sense. I have a "db" on my Honda CBR 600RR/A and it has the same feel. When extended, it does a good job deflecting wind but there's a bit more buffeting sound around the upper helmet area as if the wind is trying to grab at you but misses its slipping wind-fingers at you. The clear upper-portion lends to an invisible portion that does not detract from the OEM look, though I noticed it's very slightly tinted as well.

All-in-all, after trying a few, I found this one to be a good compromise between function and form without distorting the Can-Am design and makes 90+ mph riding less of a panic-attack and you can concentrate more on other matters than being beat-up.

Note* My RS-S 2013 screen used for 1 week is for sale with the bright-red/orange decal still in-place if anyone's interested.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have one of those big BRP touring windshields that goes out over your hands I bought and used for one ride. Don't know if it's a 23 or 25 but it's horrible. If anyone is local and wants to give it a go let me know. I'll make you a good deal on it...haha.

Otherwise I thought about cutting it down for a winter shield to use only as hand protection.......