Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP *** Bolt found while washing ST

spy7.jpgspy6.jpgspy2.jpgI was just out washing my ST L getting it ready for a trip later on this week. I found this bolt sticking out from my right side panel where the white panel meets the black panel. It was just hanging there. Does anyone have any idea where it came from by looking at it? I am so frustrated.... Thanks for any opinions. I just need to know if it will be safe to ride to my dealer 40 miles or so away.

Spyder Garage

by looking at the bolt it looks like the lock tight they used was not touched, so i would say it is just a bolt that has been stuck some ware on the bike and decided to drop out now
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a way to jack the bike up enough to take a look under it's skirts? It appears to have some thread-loc on it...
    My guess (and that's ALL that it is! ), would be that it holds a piece ot the Tupperware to a solid mounting position...

If you can look the bike over, and find an empty hole ; double-check against the other side.
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    by looking at the bolt it looks like the lock tight they used was not touched, so i would say it is just a bolt that has been stuck some ware on the bike and decided to drop out now
    It does have some kind of thread lock on it, but it obviously did not work... Thanks John.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you have a way to jack the bike up enough to take a look under it's skirts? It appears to have some thread-loc on it...
    My guess (and that's ALL that it is! ), would be that it holds a piece ot the Tupperware to a solid mounting position...

If you can look the bike over, and find an empty hole ; double-check against the other side.
    Good Luck!
    Thanks Bob. I wish I did have a way to jack it up. I do not. I looked everywhere I could see while washing it. Don't have a clue. My main concern (not that I wanted to take a trip to the dealership) was that it would be safe to ride to find out what my problem is. I have just put probably 800 miles on the bike in the past 7 days. To see that while washing it was a bit unnerving...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 03hdjill View Post
    It does have some kind of thread lock on it, but it obviously did not work... Thanks John.
    What John is trying to say (I think) is that if the thread locker doesn't look like it was touched, it probably wasn't ever actually installed in the bike. Like someone during assembly dropped it inside the bike and grabbed another bolt out of the bin and finished assembling without looking for the lost soldier.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob. I wish I did have a way to jack it up. I do not. I looked everywhere I could see while washing it. Don't have a clue. My main concern (not that I wanted to take a trip to the dealership) was that it would be safe to ride to find out what my problem is. I have just put probably 800 miles on the bike in the past 7 days. To see that while washing it was a bit unnerving...
    Remove the Tupperware and look around
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

They use a bolt similar to that to hold the rear turn signal bars in place. Where on the bike was it? There are several places where the black meets the white plastic.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    What John is trying to say (I think) is that if the thread locker doesn't look like it was touched, it probably wasn't ever actually installed in the bike. Like someone during assembly dropped it inside the bike and grabbed another bolt out of the bin and finished assembling without looking for the lost soldier.
    Oh...Thanks for explaining that to me... I did not understand. When I feel the threads on the bolt though, they feel like they are worn down. I have no idea. Wish I was more knowledgeable... I will hope that John is right.....

Spyder Garage

spy7.jpgspy6.jpgspy2.jpgI was just out washing my ST L getting it ready for a trip later on this week. I found this bolt sticking out from my right side panel where the white panel meets the black panel. It was just hanging there. Does anyone have any idea where it came from by looking at it? I am so frustrated.... Thanks for any opinions. I just need to know if it will be safe to ride to my dealer 40 miles or so away.
    Looks like the bolt that holds the piston to the rod! (NOT!) Most likely some lazy factory tech. that dropped a bolt and was to lazy to retrieve it.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

They use a bolt similar to that to hold the rear turn signal bars in place. Where on the bike was it? There are several places where the black meets the white plastic.
    It was right where I took that photo...right above the center of the area..between the rider and the passenger floor boards where the black meets the white plastic.

Spyder Garage

Other possible places it could have come from #50 on the image or 130b on the image (circled)
    spyder frame.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default That bolt

My RT is still in lots of pieces from an almost total dis-assembly..........that bolt is not a common PANEL fastener....If you POP up your seat you will see TWO in about the middle of the tray covering the frame ..............You will also find a lot of them used in and under the main COWL piece to hold down lots of parts like the WINDSHIELD assembly........I would start shaking things to see if you can find something that's loose........PS every bolt on the Spyder has thread lock of one sort or another............Mikeguyver....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-15-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

It's difficult to determine what purpose this bolt has when all that is shown is it's placed on the running board and not the location where you found it. If the bolt were to work it's way out from behind the plastic wear it would show some kind of damage to the plastic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take the bolt with you on your trip. Also take along a wrench that fits it.

Who knows? You might find where it goes while on your trip. It would be handy to have it, along with the tool to replace it.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default HMMM...

Maybe someone is playing a cruel joke on you? Do you know anyone who would do that? Seems odd that that bolt would just materialize. POOF!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightening View Post
    On my RTL there are similar looking bolts holding a black plastic cover over the radio on the right side. I would check under the seat if you have not already.
    Thanks. I checked under the seat. Saw no bolts.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Ready, fire, aim...
    The ST has, as I recall a history of losing the factory belt guard.
    That bolt looks suspiciously like the ones that hold the RT belt guard in place.
    Nope.....Been there and done that....Mine got sucked into my belt last year returning from Spyderquest. This bolt is larger.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Maybe someone is playing a cruel joke on you? Do you know anyone who would do that? Seems odd that that bolt would just materialize. POOF!
    The bolt was sticking out of the (falling out) the tupperware. It was between the two pieces. I lifted the white piece a tiny bit and it fell out.

Spyder Garage

Here's my take.....
    • It doesn't hold the motor in the frame
    • It doesn't hold the wheels on
    • It doesn't hold the brakes in place
    • Your bike is under warrranty

RIDE IT!!!!! Then take the bolt with you next time you're at the dealer getting the oil changed and see if they can locate a home for it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here's my take.....
    • It doesn't hold the motor in the frame
    • It doesn't hold the wheels on
    • It doesn't hold the brakes in place
    • Your bike is under warrranty

RIDE IT!!!!! Then take the bolt with you next time you're at the dealer getting the oil changed and see if they can locate a home for it
    I like your take.....

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

is that the stock seat..?? Did you have any work done or do any yourself like installations..?? It's not a tupperware bolt but a frame seat or latch type so check under tge seat on down...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    is that the stock seat..?? Did you have any work done or do any yourself like installations..?? It's not a tupperware bolt but a frame seat or latch type so check under tge seat on down...
    All of my work is done at the dealership where I purchased it. My seat is stock. When I lifted the seat I could not see any bolts.

Spyder Garage

If it is under warranty, have the dealer pick it up. If there is any possibility of a safety related problem, they and BRP should be very interested in finding out where it came from.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    If it is under warranty, have the dealer pick it up. If there is any possibility of a safety related problem, they and BRP should be very interested in finding out where it came from.
    Talked to the dealer today. I will take it in to have them take a look. Hopefully they will figure it out.