Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question RT Humming Any Ideas?

You know that sound when you turn the key? Sounds sort of like a fan hum then shuts off and you start your bike. Well I am hearing that humming sound constantly. It almost sounds like its coming from the back but I am unsure. I will take it into the shop Tues. but had a little further to go today. Any ideas ? All temps and gauges shows fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

14 RT...probably the fuel pump...mine whines (more of a whine rather than a hum to my ears) as well. My dealer tech says it's the fuel pump. Believe I read a post by one SL that had the fuel pump replaced under warranty but the replacement pump whined louder than the original one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    14 RT...probably the fuel pump...mine whines (more of a whine rather than a hum to my ears) as well. My dealer tech says it's the fuel pump. Believe I read a post by one SL that had the fuel pump replaced under warranty but the replacement pump whined louder than the original one.
    That was me! The replacement pump has been worse and louder than the original. Have been harping at the dealer for 2 mos now. Got a call last week and a new pump is being shipped to the dealer for my 2014 RTL. Factory told the dealer that they received a bad batch of pumps and guess what; my original was faulty, and the replacement was also in the same batch. Now waiting on the third new pump. Sure hope this one don't sing to me loudly anymore. It has been really irritating. If you suspect your pump is giving you the same problem, tell your dealer, as you may have one of the faulty pumps. By the way, none of the pumps have failed; they are just very loud and whine away at any speed.
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    That was me! The replacement pump has been worse and louder than the original. Have been harping at the dealer for 2 mos now. Got a call last week and a new pump is being shipped to the dealer for my 2014 RTL. Factory told the dealer that they received a bad batch of pumps and guess what; my original was faulty, and the replacement was also in the same batch. Now waiting on the third new pump. Sure hope this one don't sing to me loudly anymore. It has been really irritating. If you suspect your pump is giving you the same problem, tell your dealer, as you may have one of the faulty pumps. By the way, none of the pumps have failed; they are just very loud and whine away at any speed.
    Dose the sound change with the rpm's of the engine?
    Ours has had a whine or growl since we got it but since the 3000 mile service it hasn't
    been as bad but can still hear it some.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by saint999 View Post
    RT Humming Any Ideas?
    Try to sing along with it?

Seriously though, this has been talked about, and almost every RT has this sound. It is nothing to be alarmed about.

Spyder Garage

Our 2013 RT LTD SE5 whines when the key is turned on. I have always thought that it was the fuel pump loading up, never hear it when riding or when shutting down.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like..!!

the fuel pump..good exhaust system will drown thst right out..!! if not one of the faulty one can the warp it..??
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

RT Humming Any Ideas?
    No, but if you can get it to whistle Dixie you've really got something there!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try to teach it the words . . . that might stop the humming . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a very loud whine and a very loud growl
    Got rid of all the noise when I got divorced

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    Yeah thats what this one sounds like. Small jet engine going on in the middle of the bike. Not too loud now but concerning. It didnt do this till about the 800 mile mark.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    Your right more of a whine then a hum. It sounds like a tiny jet engine at idle. Is your dealer going to replace it ?

Spyder Garage

Default I may just may

I may try some seafoam on my next fill up before Tuesday. See if running some fuel cleaner will help the noise some. Hope this is nothing to be concerned about, my dealer doesnt like to replace anything till it dies and I dont like that too much. Can leave you on the side of the road philosophy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your right more of a whine then a hum. It sounds like a tiny jet engine at idle. Is your dealer going to replace it ?
    Nope. Kinda got the impression from the tech that "they all do it". Gonna have them contact BRP to see if there is something coming out on "bad fuel pumps".

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I believe the sound is the purge pump.
    Take heed of what he says.

​Chris

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I believe the sound is the purge pump.
    What is a purge pump?

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

What is a purge pump?

The following is taken from NancysToy in an earlier thread. Perhaps this might help.

Gas fumes have to be vented from the gas tank, especially as the tank heats and the gas vaporizes, building pressure. The tank also has to be vented to allow air to enter the tank as the fuel level drops. Because any air exiting the tank contains hydrocarbons that are consdidered to be environmentally harmful, the EPA demands that the tank emissions be recycled or limited. The canister contains activated charcoal, which can absorb the harmful vapors. Any that are released are recycled through the intake when the engine can suck them in and accept them, via the purge valve. When the engine is off, the purge valve solenoid opens the atmospheric vent and directs these gases to the atmosphere...or allows air to enter the cooling fuel tank so it doesn't collapse. Think of the evap canister as a wide spot in the line that contains a sponge of sorts.

​Chris

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RTL hums too. It is continuous when the engine is running, and does not change in pitch -- it's about F above middle C. It's annoying.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far; we've got Whines, Hums, and Swishes...
    What's next?

snap-today.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-18-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default How about some "Whaa Whaa Whaa" at running speed?

The whine I hear at idle increases as the speed increases and when cruising steadily there's a monotonous repetitive sound like "wha, wha, wha." Would the purge valve be making that sound? It sounds mechanical. I had a good many miles on mine before I started noticing it. As said above, "they all do it".
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

​If you could name the tune it is humming perhaps it would quit!
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Humming hmmmmm...perhaps it doesn't know the words. Sorry I couldn't help it.

Spyder Garage

Smile Comedians

You are all funny and I did get a laugh. I did take this to the dealer and they confirmed it was a very loud fuel pump but since BRP has no noted failures they won't replace it. I dont want to be the first failure on a long trip though so what to do?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine does it but I can't hear it....my son complains about it though.

Spyder Garage

You are all funny and I did get a laugh. I did take this to the dealer and they confirmed it was a very loud fuel pump but since BRP has no noted failures they won't replace it. I dont want to be the first failure on a long trip though so what to do?
    If you want to compare it to mine, lets meet up somewhere. I'm down in lower end of Davidson County on Rt 150, retired, so can meet anytime, anywhere. Otherwise, I think you can tour with confidence; theres hundreds (thousands??) of '14's on the road and I've not read of any failures. Mine hummed and went "wha, wha, wha," flawlessly 2200 miles out to Springfield Mo and back with 2700 mi on the clock. 7700 now and no issues other than "DESS" popping up occasionally when I turn key on.

Thinking about it, maybe we need to organize a weekly Can Am meet for breakfast somewhere in the Triad area.
    If anyone is interested, PM me.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 06-24-2014 at 04:42 AM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)