Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Confused

So I'm confused. In your signature you say you have Elka's ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Springs are what hold you up so you have to get them right. You can do some things to get the oem springs to offer more performance, but in the end, the spring rate doesn't change.

Extra spacers increases the preload but you can only get so thick of a spacer in there. On my 2012 I tried a spacer; it helped set the sag but could not help max load. I found I still was bottoming out.

The rubber wedges keep the spring from compressing between the coils they are wedged in between. That can help keep the bike from bottoming out (scraping the bottom of the chin of the bike), but the bike is still is in effect bottoming out as the wedges are simply reducing the amount the springs can compress. The use of rubber reduces (a bit) the impact you and the bike are going to experience every time you hit that new limit. You should know, since the wedges don't change the spring rates, you are going to "bottom out" a lot more often.

Its best to get your springs rates right. Either buy better after market shocks with better springs or change the springs like I did: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ont-Suspension

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Default I'm surprised by these posts

To each their own, and of course, my opinion is my very own and no one else's.
    Having said that, I'm surprised at how many people feel the need to upgrade the suspension of their RT's.
    The 2010 was a dog. It needed a lot of work to keep it from rolling around like a sailboat in a storm.
    New shocks and the RonBar were essential, even for daily commuting.
    But the 2014 RT............ Frankly, I think BRP hit a home run. I'm very happy with the stock suspension and I'm putting my mod money into lighting improvements.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Having said that, I'm surprised at how many people feel the need to upgrade the suspension of their RT's.
    The 2010 was a dog. It needed a lot of work to keep it from rolling around like a sailboat in a storm.
    But the 2014 RT............ Frankly, I think BRP hit a home run. I'm very happy with the stock suspension and I'm putting my mod money into lighting improvements.

I have an 2016 rt and found the elka shocks allowed me to ride more aggressive in the corners

Spyder Garage

Default New shocks or An-awy bar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktd1911 View Post
    I have an 2016 rt and found the elka shocks allowed me to ride more aggressive in the corners
    WE recently rode in the Texas hills and I found the front end loose on some of the more challenging curves. My 2017 RTL does not have adjustable shocks.

In order to stiffen the front end should I replace the shocks with Elka stage 2 or Bajaron's anti-sway bar. Most of my ryding is on county and city roads. Some county roads in my area have some mild curves.

Spyder Garage

I have replaced both the sway bar and the front shocks (Elka Stage 2). Noticed better handling with both upgrades (done at different times). I would definitely start with the sway bar as it made the most noticible difference and go from there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I felt like the two upgrades were about the same in ride enhancement (shocks and anti sway bar.) I installed the shocks first and noticed a great improvement. I took some pictures on the install of them here.

When I had the stock shocks off and compared them to the Fox shocks, there was definitely a difference in quality. The stock shocks had pressed metal and was a softer spring. Plus they were heavier.

Three years and 30K miles later, they are still running strong! I like the ability to make the stiffer, and will probably go to Elkas next. Definitely will switch out the rear shock. Way too soft for me, too.
    2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyRider View Post
    WE recently rode in the Texas hills and I found the front end loose on some of the more challenging curves. My 2017 RTL does not have adjustable shocks.

In order to stiffen the front end should I replace the shocks with Elka stage 2 or Bajaron's anti-sway bar. Most of my ryding is on county and city roads. Some county roads in my area have some mild curves.
    Both are improvements, however, to me the Elka shocks made the bigger improvement.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My Elka Shock experience

I put 2 new Elka shocks on the front of my 2014 when new back in May of 2014...Within a month the oil leaked out of the left front one...Elka said to sent them both back and they would repair them and return ASAP...They repaired 1 shock only and returned them both... Their ASAP was NOT even close to my ASAP expectations...

Now, 26,000 miles later my Spyder sits in the garage with TWO oil spots on the floor under BOTH Elka shocks...So here we go again...Just glad its winter and not prime riding season...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post

2014 RTL Platinum