Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Fox adjustable shocks for RT w/ price and PN

Just so it doesn't get lost in the clutter, here's what I found at the dealers this morning

My dealer quoted me $500 for the kit (plus installation) and the kit PN is 219400588 Personally, I now have to make up my mind if the difference in cost and the lack of downstream warranty issues is worth it or if going with the higher priced Elkas (which is known to work) is the way to go

In looking thru the installation instructions, the new Fox shocks seem to be only pre-load adjustable, I see no provision for damping adjustment.
    Last edited by sddinnh; 06-13-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

to be honest i would go with the tried and true elkas, for the 100 + i think they are worth it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I made the mistake of adding elkas before I installed the better sway bar (torque rod) on my 11. The shocks make for a stiffer ride but did not help cornering as I was told. I felt every pebble on the road and pot holes were bone shattering. For racing I like a stiff multi stage shock, for touring not so much. Since 99% of my riding is touring I just went with the sway bar this time on my 14 as the stock shocks are really pretty good. The shocks may look sexy and I will keep an eye out for a hydraulic shock that is of better quality some day but not at the sacrifice of comfort. So many better things to spend the money on....

Spyder Garage

I made the mistake of adding Elkas before I installed the better sway bar (torque rod) on my 11. The shocks make for a stiffer ride but did not help cornering as I was told. I felt every pebble on the road and pot holes were bone shattering. For racing I like a stiff multi stage shock, for touring not so much. Since 99% of my riding is touring I just went with the sway bar this time on my 14 as the stock shocks are really pretty good. The stock shocks may not look sexy and I will keep an eye out for a hydraulic shock that is of better quality some day but not at the sacrifice of comfort. So many better things to spend the money on....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Is it so that installing Elkas must be done professionally? Not just a bolt on item? Is this true with Fox as well?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My dealer gave me the installation instructions and they don't look too hard. 4 bolts to take out and 4 new ones to put in.

To be fair they do say "For safety reasons, this kit must be installed by an authorized BRP dealer"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    Is it so that installing Elkas must be done professionally? Not just a bolt on item? Is this true with Fox as well?
    Either shock system can be installed by the owner. I don't believe that the Fox shocks have adjustable valving. Only the spring Pre-Load is adjustable. Where the Elkas have adjustable valving (more adjustment options with the more expensive models). But even these can be owner adjusted if the correct information is applied and adjustments are made properly.

Still, it is probably a good idea for most to have the Elka's professionally installed so that at least you have accurate adjustments based on Elka research to give you a good baseline starting point to work with if further adjustment refinements are needed.

But if you don't know what you're doing I would recommend that you leave the valving adjustments alone. If you get these out of whack it can make for a bad ride. Some have even gotten the spring pre-load adjustment wrong (which is actually very simple and designed for owner adjustments).

The Fox are a decent shock and will definitely give you an upgrade over the stock, OEM RT version. But if the price is close I'd spend a bit more for the Elkas, which are definitely a superior product.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-14-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Easy swap out, I take the frunk off to make the install more enjoyable. Elka will sends the shocks custom made to you by weight and riding style. They ask a series of questions when you order. They also give you good advice on how to set the valving and instruction with the bike.

Spyder Garage

Default Go with the Fox

I tried an RT with the Fox shocks and went back and bought a set. I put them on and started dragging over speed bumps. I took them back off and adjusted them all the way up and reinstalled them. I loved the ride but still had the sway in hard turns. Went with Ron's anti-sway bar to finish the project. I've got a wonderful ride and no sway in turns. My wife even picked up on the amazing difference from the stock shocks and sway bar. Definitely worth the price.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When i first bought my rt, it rode and handled like crap. Had to fight to make the slightest of turns. After riding my arms were jello. Installed Baja rons anti sway, then installed shock relocators, finished with Elka stage 5. Rides and handles like a charm now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    Just so it doesn't get lost in the clutter, here's what I found at the dealers this morning

My dealer quoted me $500 for the kit (plus installation) and the kit PN is 219400588 Personally, I now have to make up my mind if the difference in cost and the lack of downstream warranty issues is worth it or if going with the higher priced Elkas (which is known to work) is the way to go

In looking thru the installation instructions, the new Fox shocks seem to be only pre-load adjustable, I see no provision for damping adjustment.
    If you want your shocks a bit stiffer, spend $20 for some rubber inserts and give that a try. I cut mine into wedges, four per shock, and it gave me what I wanted. The nice thing about cutting the inserts into small chunks is they are easy to put in, you can add more if you desire, or remove if you want.
    I have some left over and will send you 8 wedges if you want to give them a try. Return if not satisfied.

If interested, PM your address.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Confused

So I'm confused. In your signature you say you have Elka's ?

Spyder Garage

Springs are what hold you up so you have to get them right. You can do some things to get the oem springs to offer more performance, but in the end, the spring rate doesn't change.

Extra spacers increases the preload but you can only get so thick of a spacer in there. On my 2012 I tried a spacer; it helped set the sag but could not help max load. I found I still was bottoming out.

The rubber wedges keep the spring from compressing between the coils they are wedged in between. That can help keep the bike from bottoming out (scraping the bottom of the chin of the bike), but the bike is still is in effect bottoming out as the wedges are simply reducing the amount the springs can compress. The use of rubber reduces (a bit) the impact you and the bike are going to experience every time you hit that new limit. You should know, since the wedges don't change the spring rates, you are going to "bottom out" a lot more often.

Its best to get your springs rates right. Either buy better after market shocks with better springs or change the springs like I did: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ont-Suspension

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Default I'm surprised by these posts

To each their own, and of course, my opinion is my very own and no one else's.
    Having said that, I'm surprised at how many people feel the need to upgrade the suspension of their RT's.
    The 2010 was a dog. It needed a lot of work to keep it from rolling around like a sailboat in a storm.
    New shocks and the RonBar were essential, even for daily commuting.
    But the 2014 RT............ Frankly, I think BRP hit a home run. I'm very happy with the stock suspension and I'm putting my mod money into lighting improvements.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    My dealer gave me the installation instructions and they don't look too hard. 4 bolts to take out and 4 new ones to put in.

To be fair they do say "For safety reasons, this kit must be installed by an authorized BRP dealer"
    if you need help you could all ways take a ride down here and i could help you i know when i had my 12 RS i had the fox shocks never needed the swaybar

Spyder Garage

Default Re stage 5

Quote Originally Posted by gorchris1 View Post
    When i first bought my rt, it rode and handled like crap. Had to fight to make the slightest of turns. After riding my arms were jello. Installed Baja rons anti sway, then installed shock relocators, finished with Elka stage 5. Rides and handles like a charm now.
    I would assume the Elka stage 5 is for the back what is involved in the install on back do you have to remove the air bag or just disable it what is the part no and will it work on a 2014RTS Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    I would assume the Elka stage 5 is for the back what is involved in the install on back do you have to remove the air bag or just disable it what is the part no and will it work on a 2014RTS Thanks

A couple of years ago I called Elka about their products. (I ended up buying the stage 2 fronts) When I spoke to the rep about the back shock he said the air bag remains in place and functional. The air bag acts as a spring assist and sets the ride height. I did not make the purchase, so I can't personally verify this information.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Having said that, I'm surprised at how many people feel the need to upgrade the suspension of their RT's.
    The 2010 was a dog. It needed a lot of work to keep it from rolling around like a sailboat in a storm.
    But the 2014 RT............ Frankly, I think BRP hit a home run. I'm very happy with the stock suspension and I'm putting my mod money into lighting improvements.

I have an 2016 rt and found the elka shocks allowed me to ride more aggressive in the corners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post

2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default New shocks or An-awy bar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktd1911 View Post
    I have an 2016 rt and found the elka shocks allowed me to ride more aggressive in the corners
    WE recently rode in the Texas hills and I found the front end loose on some of the more challenging curves. My 2017 RTL does not have adjustable shocks.

In order to stiffen the front end should I replace the shocks with Elka stage 2 or Bajaron's anti-sway bar. Most of my ryding is on county and city roads. Some county roads in my area have some mild curves.

Spyder Garage

I have replaced both the sway bar and the front shocks (Elka Stage 2). Noticed better handling with both upgrades (done at different times). I would definitely start with the sway bar as it made the most noticible difference and go from there.

Spyder Garage

I felt like the two upgrades were about the same in ride enhancement (shocks and anti sway bar.) I installed the shocks first and noticed a great improvement. I took some pictures on the install of them here.

When I had the stock shocks off and compared them to the Fox shocks, there was definitely a difference in quality. The stock shocks had pressed metal and was a softer spring. Plus they were heavier.

Three years and 30K miles later, they are still running strong! I like the ability to make the stiffer, and will probably go to Elkas next. Definitely will switch out the rear shock. Way too soft for me, too.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyRider View Post
    WE recently rode in the Texas hills and I found the front end loose on some of the more challenging curves. My 2017 RTL does not have adjustable shocks.

In order to stiffen the front end should I replace the shocks with Elka stage 2 or Bajaron's anti-sway bar. Most of my ryding is on county and city roads. Some county roads in my area have some mild curves.
    Both are improvements, however, to me the Elka shocks made the bigger improvement.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My Elka Shock experience

I put 2 new Elka shocks on the front of my 2014 when new back in May of 2014...Within a month the oil leaked out of the left front one...Elka said to sent them both back and they would repair them and return ASAP...They repaired 1 shock only and returned them both... Their ASAP was NOT even close to my ASAP expectations...

Now, 26,000 miles later my Spyder sits in the garage with TWO oil spots on the floor under BOTH Elka shocks...So here we go again...Just glad its winter and not prime riding season...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I put 2 new Elka shocks on the front of my 2014 when new back in May of 2014...Within a month the oil leaked out of the left front one...Elka said to sent them both back and they would repair them and return ASAP...They repaired 1 shock only and returned them both... Their ASAP was NOT even close to my ASAP expectations...

Now, 26,000 miles later my Spyder sits in the garage with TWO oil spots on the floor under BOTH Elka shocks...So here we go again...Just glad its winter and not prime riding season...
    I had heard that about Elkas that is why I went and got the Fox shocks ...why pay more and get more problems. There was a rumor going around at some stage that if you owned Elkas you have to send them back every year to get the seals changed out and to keep them in warranty, the rumor was squashed by Elka saying that sending them back once a year only applies to their racing shocks. Here is an example of Elka shocks both leaking oil at 26,000 miles just my point of view and I am sure there are many Spyders with Elkas on that have not had any oil leaks and the owners are very happy with Elkas I just did not want to go through having to take off shocks possible during prime riding season which some times is very short and have to wait on Elka so send them back.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White