Thread: GoPro Mount

Spyder Garage

Default GoPro Mount

I'm trying to catch up to Karyl... I'll have a GoPro mounted, my Garmin and I need to think of one more.

GoPro Mount 01.jpgGoPro Mount 02.jpg

Do you think I need to clean the windshield???

JT

Spyder Garage

Default GoPro Mount

What did you place between the ball on your bracket and the GoPro ball? I can't quite identify it on the list of RAM mounts. Wonder if there is room for both the GoPro and a RAM X-Mount for an iPhone.

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    What did you place between the ball on your bracket and the GoPro ball? I can't quite identify it on the list of RAM mounts. Wonder if there is room for both the GoPro and a RAM X-Mount for an iPhone.

ken tompkins
    I used the RAM Mount Plastic Short Arm B-Socket RAP-B-201U-A. For my GPS I need the medium arm.

JT

Spyder Garage

JT, it's hard to keep up with Karyl!! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Default You reading my mind?????

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I'm trying to catch up to Karyl... I'll have a GoPro mounted, my Garmin and I need to think of one more.

GoPro Mount 01.jpgGoPro Mount 02.jpg

Do you think I need to clean the windshield???

JT
    working on GoPro mounting before I head out on Weds. How much vibration..distortion did you get with GoPro mounted. I reallllly like your dash bar...and your dual fill air thingy is
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post

ken tompkins
    I have mine set up with the Ram X-Mount for my iPhone and my GoPro sits right next to it. I used a 6in Ram extension for the iPhone so it hangs just over the dash.

IMG_0387.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    working on GoPro mounting before I head out on Weds. How much vibration..distortion did you get with GoPro mounted. I reallllly like your dash bar...and your dual fill air thingy is
    LOL, I can't get it out of the garage the road is too muddy to drive out or I'm working too hard... I hope to take it out Sunday for a spin. Looks like no rain till Monday so the roads should be ok by Sunday. This has been the wettest winter since I've moved here.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhhhhh come on now....

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    JT, it's hard to keep up with Karyl!! ;-)
    I know for a fact that Rattigan-Roger makes me look like a slacker in the gadget dept AND he knows how to operate all of his.... to Roger
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Unhappy GPS mount

I tried a universal GPS mount for my Drift camera and just had too much vibration for the stabilization circuit to handle. I'm still looking for a mount.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I know for a fact that Rattigan-Roger makes me look like a slacker in the gadget dept AND he knows how to operate all of his.... to Roger
    and me too...

Your dash looks impressive for sure.

Karyl01.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

I did some testing today with various ways to mount the GoPro and now I'm creating a video with a photo start showing the ways I tried. GoPro software is broken but to my amazement Windows Media Player Movie Maker thing works well... now I just need to upload to putube so I can show you what I got.

JT

Spyder Garage

Test #1

JT

Spyder Garage

I did the same but use soft foam so it dose not rub and used a zip to hole it on..

Spyder Garage

Test #2

IMHO less successful than test #1

JT

Spyder Garage

Don't take this the wrong way; but, shooting thru the windshield and seeing reflections was not for me. I've had my GoPro all over my spyder with different mounts, and never could get rid of the slight roll you pick up on when viewing the video. The only place with no roll, and it's what I call a dynamic position, is on your helmet. Just another person's point of view.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-14-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Test #3

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way; but, shooting thru the windshield and seeing reflections was not for me. I've had my GoPro all over my spyder with different mounts, and never could get rid of the slight roll you pick up on when viewing the video. The only place with no roll, and it's what I call a dynamic position, is on your helmet. Just another person's point of view.
    I agree the windshield bars show up and detract from the video. I don't pick up the roll you speak of but hey it's only my 15th GoPro video.

JT

Spyder Garage

I agree the windshield bars show up and detract from the video. I don't pick up the roll you speak of but hey it's only my 15th GoPro video.

JT
    I didn't notice any rolling shutter artifacting going on there….and if anything you'd see it on the trees….

to beat the reflections, you need to tent the camera against the windshield…treat the windshield like the front filter in a Matte Box or like the glass in a TelePrompTer…these reflections are from light coming in from BEHIND the camera and reflecting off the glass in the field of view of the camera.

Unfortunately, the only way to beat this is to get the camera lens as close as possible to the windshield, and then block out any light from hitting the glass that the camera sees, from the camera side of the windshield…which of course is no easy feat with the GoPro's 359 degree field of view!

imagine punching the bottom out of a red solo cup, putting the camera lens in the bottom & jamming the lip of the cup up against the windshield….something like that…in black (of course) and not as deep….

M

2014 Spyder RT-S, Black on black, no mods (unless you count the BRP backrest!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frelancr View Post
    I didn't notice any rolling shutter artifacting going on there….and if anything you'd see it on the trees….

to beat the reflections, you need to tent the camera against the windshield…treat the windshield like the front filter in a Matte Box or like the glass in a TelePrompTer…these reflections are from light coming in from BEHIND the camera and reflecting off the glass in the field of view of the camera.

Unfortunately, the only way to beat this is to get the camera lens as close as possible to the windshield, and then block out any light from hitting the glass that the camera sees, from the camera side of the windshield…which of course is no easy feat with the GoPro's 359 degree field of view!

imagine punching the bottom out of a red solo cup, putting the camera lens in the bottom & jamming the lip of the cup up against the windshield….something like that…in black (of course) and not as deep….

M
    I understand now, closer to the windshield is better. I had it quite a ways back from the windshield. I'll have to do some more experiments. Overall I'm happy with the results less the reflections. I wonder if just blocking the light from the top would work... I'll have to see.

As you can see in this photo the GoPro was back about 2-3" from the windshield.

GoPro-03.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

I understand now, closer to the windshield is better. I had it quite a ways back from the windshield. I'll have to do some more experiments. Overall I'm happy with the results less the reflections. I wonder if just blocking the light from the top would work... I'll have to see.

As you can see in this photo the GoPro was back about 2-3" from the windshield.

GoPro-03.jpg

JT
    try rotating the RAM arm down & to the left….keep the camera on, loosen the knuckle/knob on the arm, and position the ARM parallel to the mount plate (horizontal to the ground)…optimally the knuckle would be straight up, but the RAM arms don't really like that, so the knob will possibly run into the dash or the glass…then you can get the camera closer to the windshield without having it creep up into your eyeline

the trick is still to keep the lens as close as possible to the windshield without having to tilt the camera…you still may need to shroud it against the windshield to keep any wayward reflections down….OR maybe re-position it so that it looks thru an area that doesn't see the reflections of the mounts….

and here's another idea…get some BLACK paper/artist's tape and black out the 3 brackets that are causing the reflections…it looks like its the 2 outside & center brackets that are doing the damage

and THAT'S why I always wear black!

2014 Spyder RT-S, Black on black, no mods (unless you count the BRP backrest!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frelancr View Post

M
    The roll I spoke of is due to the inherent vibrations of my 2008GS. The RT being the touring model is probably a lot smoother, and I believe that is what JT has. Also, the roll was most noticeable when at idle, on my spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For vibration isolation you should check out ebay and check out the mounts used on RC quadcopters and hexacopters...there's one that consists of two CF plates with silicone ball shaped dampers that cost anything up to around $50.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-...item2c7826074e

Try this...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Please not that these types of mounts have the camera putting the "balls" in tension so you'll have to make sure that the camera sits on top of the mount to put the "balls" in compression....the proper way....should be no problem for you hackers out there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    The roll I spoke of is due to the inherent vibrations of my 2008GS. The RT being the touring model is probably a lot smoother, and I believe that is what JT has. Also, the roll was most noticeable when at idle, on my spyder.
    Yes, I have a RT, and I did notice from time to time at idle a little movement in the body of the Spyder.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    For vibration isolation you should check out ebay and check out the mounts used on RC quadcopters and hexacopters...there's one that consists of two CF plates with silicone ball shaped dampers that cost anything up to around $50.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-...item2c7826074e

Try this...
    I had something similar. Its cost was over $75, and those dampers did nothing to help with the vibration. Of course, that doesn't mean that it wouldn't help in someone else's application.