Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How many of Spyder Riders still ride motorcycles?

Hello:

I took my MSF class, bought a 2012 RTS-SE5 Viper Red and love it and ride two up with my wife.

I truly enjoyed riding the Honda Rebel 250cc in my MSF class. I have a yearning to buy a motorcycle been looking at a used 2009 Suzuki Boulevard S50 with only 5200 miles on it and only $3700.00.

I am aware of the risk of two wheels vs. three, and am just curious how many others ride two wheels and 3 wheels.

I am 52 years old and 5'3" am I totally "NUTS" my wife doesn't think so but I just am not sure.

Already looked at insurance and taxes and tags it's all good and cheaper than the Spyder of course but not sure if I am crazy in my thinking or what.

I rode 2 wheels back when I was like a kid on a farm and like I said in my MSF class and loved it still.

Any insights and so forth might be a good thing to know. Thank you ahead of time.

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Go ahead, I have both, but whenever my wife is joining me, it's the RS
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Done with 2 wheels

It's only the Spyder now and for good.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TWO WHEELED ?

....Even if I could I wouldn't go back to my Wing.......and I really really loved that Bike............But the new RT has far exceeded my expectations of BRP could produce .........................really..... ...........Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It can be a tough choice ...
    There's nothing like the feel of banking a bike over into a broad, sweeping turn, that just never seems like it's going to end!
    But I wouldn't go back to a "tipover"; even if I could!
    If you can keep one or two of each type of ride around:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Even if I could I wouldn't go back to my Wing.......and I really really loved that Bike............But the new RT has far exceeded my expectations of BRP could produce .........................really..... ...........Mikeguyver
    My thoughts exactly Knight
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Even though the doctors say not to ride it, I just can't get rid of my BMW R1200R. I sneak it out every once in a while and run it 30 miles or so, but I shouldn't and one of these days that's going to catch up with me I really love that bike

Spyder Garage

Well 30 years of riding and 3 motorcycle accident. I stop riding 2 wheels when I pick up my spyder in 2012. I will not go back.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

Default Both

Every once in a while I need a 2 wheel fix....so I ride one of my Harley's I still have....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It can be a tough choice ...
    There's nothing like the feel of banking a bike over into a broad, sweeping turn, that just never seems like it's going to end!
    But I wouldn't go back to a "tipover"; even if I could!
    If you can keep one or two of each type of ride around:
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default This would be in addition to my Spyder

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I do worry reading that some of you have had accidents on the 2-wheels. That is NOT what I am wanting to get into myself. Don't care to drop it, and I didn't drop anything in my MSF class. This bike I am looking at for an 800cc bike is like at 471 pounds.

I would be keeping my Spyder as well. Think someone was thinking I was giving that up but can ride the 2-wheels solo---and ride Spyder with my wife. Height differences.

Sadly I am like a bunch of you and collecting vehicles. Not so sure that is good at 52 years of life. if I buy this two wheeler- I will have 5 vehicles plus a darned boat.

I am paying my share into the tax bucket! Good Grief!!!!

Thanks again for all your repsonses.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

I loved the two wheelers but love the spyder for one main reason. that is my wife joins on my spyder! I do however also own a very farkeled 09 Suzuki 650 Vstrom ABS. I love both of them.image-6w.jpg
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Sadly I am like a bunch of you and collecting vehicles. Not so sure that is good at 52 years of life. if I buy this two wheeler- I will have 5 vehicles plus a darned boat.
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I do worry reading that some of you have had accidents on the 2-wheels. That is NOT what I am wanting to get into myself. Don't care to drop it, and I didn't drop anything in my MSF class. This bike I am looking at for an 800cc bike is like at 471 pounds.

I would be keeping my Spyder as well. Think someone was thinking I was giving that up but can ride the 2-wheels solo---and ride Spyder with my wife. Height differences.

I am paying my share into the tax bucket! Good Grief!!!!

Thanks again for all your repsonses.
    I still ride a motorcycle. I currently have a 2014 HD Ultra Limited. My wife rides with me on both.

Not everyone should ride a motorcycle, or Spyder for that matter. Riding a motorcycle is not like it was in your MSF class, where you are on a enclosed area, which is generally flat.

Riding a bike requires considerably more awareness at all times than a Spyder, since a Spyder is so much more stable and can stop in more stable attitude - which makes a huge difference, especially on uneven, wet, or slick roads.

I would encourage you to ride, but do not go into it with any complacency.

Good luck!

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

many have both..many have sold the two wheeler for lack of use..if you never had one I would say go for it but with caution. If your a newbie to both it can be difficult. I retired from bikes, once, but my wife won't let me. She loves to ryde with me so she bought me an RS. You would think an RT but she knows me and loves the sport of it...your choice in the end...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hello:

I took my MSF class, bought a 2012 RTS-SE5 Viper Red and love it and ride two up with my wife.

I truly enjoyed riding the Honda Rebel 250cc in my MSF class. I have a yearning to buy a motorcycle been looking at a used 2009 Suzuki Boulevard S50 with only 5200 miles on it and only $3700.00.

I am aware of the risk of two wheels vs. three, and am just curious how many others ride two wheels and 3 wheels.

I am 52 years old and 5'3" am I totally "NUTS" my wife doesn't think so but I just am not sure.

Already looked at insurance and taxes and tags it's all good and cheaper than the Spyder of course but not sure if I am crazy in my thinking or what.

I rode 2 wheels back when I was like a kid on a farm and like I said in my MSF class and loved it still.

Any insights and so forth might be a good thing to know. Thank you ahead of time.

Reid, I think you answered your own question in the first line. You bought the Spyder, love it, and ride it with your wife, so she is probably comfortable with it as well. I still have the two-wheeler but would like to sell it because the Spyder is so much fun to ride. My often quoted stats for the first year I owned the Spyder was Spyder = 7,800 miles and the Harley Ultra = 400 miles. Far be from me to advocate anything but getting the toys you want and can afford, but you will have to make a choice every time you leave the garage about which one to ride. I'll bet I know which one will win out. Good luck with your decision. ...Don

P.S. Wanna buy a Harley Ultra? ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA T

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS!!
    Hey, that' my MANTRA ............Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

yep still have both

Spyder Garage

i have and as you see ,and i love them all i ride them ever day the weather permits.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife rides the RT and I ride the Vulcan. I like to ride both. When it's two up we are on the Spyder.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT SM 5 with 34,000 miles and a 2012 Vulcan 900 with 17,500 miles. Since I got the Vulcan I don't seem to ride the RT near as much but still like it. It does take me a couple of hundred miles to get comfortable on the RT.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

A hard but also easy decision. Do what you want that gives you some enjoyment in life.

I rode my last two wheeler (Vulcan 900 LTD) up until July of 2012 when I had to let it go. Even though the 900 fit me ergonomically well, I was afraid that with my gamey hip, I would eventually have a problem supporting the weight when I may need to. The Vulcan was traded off on akspyderlady's 2011 RT. At least it went to good use.

Do I miss riding on two wheels? Heck yes! I was lucky to own over 40 machines since 1965. From 80cc to 2000cc (Vulcan 2000 LTD) and everything in between. Those rides on two wheels were some very enjoyable times. I still wish I had one to ride. Happy though that I can still ryde, and that the continues to make it possible.

I still read Rider magazine and am still drooling about the latest and greatest. I can only ride these through reading about others experiences--but--it suffices. PS. The Valkerye is now back. Sorry about that F6B.

Bottom line: if you still have a yearning for two wheels and can afford it--by all means go for it. No one here is going to fault you for that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Going from 3 wheels to 2 do you ever forget to put your feet down when you stop?

Spyder Garage

Default Still ride motorcycles

The Norton just sits in the garage and the kid will get her some day , the best thing about the Spyder is the wife loves it and feels safe and we enjoy it together . It's three wheels for us, besides it rains here in the PNW and our riding season is longer on three wheels .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still like to peek...
    http://www.erikbuellracing.com/
    Some of what is out there is stunning!