Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Still ride my vstar, but I spend more time on the spyder
    That's a real nice-looking 650 Classic!
    (I had two of them: 2000 and 2002. )
    It looks especially lean and mean, with the pillion pad removed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    love that thing, it's so easy to work on compared to the spyder. I am thinking of converting it to a bobber.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Sonny-Boy is finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a street-ride.
    He wishes that he could afford a Spyder; that ain't happening!
    My questions:
    Which NEW streetbike would you suggest for a beginning ride?
    (He would want new because he's even LESS mechanically inclined than I am! )
    He's six-foot tall, and 235 pounds.. His ladyfriend is not exactly a lightweight; but she's only about five-foot two...
    Riding would be secondary roads in the Central portions of New York, and the occasional commute to work on those roads is about 40 miles.
    So far; he's narrowed the list down to:
    Honda CB500
    Honda Shadow
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Harley "Street" 500 & 750
    He knows that this forum is loaded with biking experience; so what do you think?
    thanks!
    Personally, in order, a Suzuki Boulevard C (or M) 50, Kawasaki Vulcan, Honda Shadow (may be too small), Harley Street 750. He also might want to look at a Triumph America.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I ride the Spyder, a conventional trike, and 2 big crusier two-wheelers. The trick is you have to treat it like you kids, do not have a favorite and ride a different one everyday, it keep your skills up and keep them exercised. If you find yourself leaving one out of the rotation, it is time to put it up for adoption to a good home.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I ride both... There's nothing I won't ride. No I don't forget to put my feet down, kickstand up, and turn off my blinker. Well sometimes I leave the blinker to keep people guessing.

Bob denman: if I was your son i would not overlook the new yamaha fz-07. 750 cc twin. They are just now starting to drop on showroom floors to rave reviews.

I have the new yamaha fz-09 847cc triple cylinder... It's fully farkled with AK-20 fork cartridges in front, penske shock out back, Akra exhaust, ecu reflash, etc, etc. Here she is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

This is a real interesting thread that shows how so many people with different thoughts about what is fun to ride are brought together by a bucket of bits and bolts with personality we know as the Spyder.

I have a 2009 Limited Edition Goldwing that I ride about equal to the Spyder. I actually bought the Spyder with the hopes that my wife would drive it... but it is probably best that she only get behind the wheel of her car and she is quite happy to just sit back and enjoy the ride while supervising the driver.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I actually bought the Spyder with the hopes that my wife would drive it... but it is probably best that she only get behind the wheel of her car and she is quite happy to just sit back and enjoy the ride while supervising the driver.

JT
    Same here!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Everyone's different. I went back to a 2 wheeler after 2 seasons on an RT.

With unlimited storage space and friendlier bank manager, I would have kept the Spyder for 2-up riding, but it only happens a couple of times a year so it is not worth it.

...Benoit...

Spyder Garage

I've gone around full circle with this issue. We got our 2012 Spyder RTL when we decided to get back into riding. Our last bike before the Spyder was a 1998 Harley Road King Classic 95th Anniversary Model which I sold in 2000. I originally wanted a Goldwing or a Harley Ultra but she wanted to ride as well and I was more comfortable with seeing her riding a 3 wheeler. Once she got the hang of it, she had me buy my own bike as she now claimed the Spyder for herself. I bought a couple other bikes but got the itch to have my own Spyder and ended up with an ST. That didn't last as it was too small. I then got my Blue RTS and was happy for the last year more or less but was really missing riding 2 wheels.

I was at an event in April and saw then fell in love with the Honda Goldwing F6B and had to have it so I ended up trading my Spyder for one thus putting me back on 2 wheels. We still have "Her" Spyder so I'm covered either way but I just love this new bike. Yes, the new Valkyrie is nice too but the F6B is more versatile. Handles amazingly and is pretty quick too. And yes, the mods to it have begun...lol. Here's a pic..

His-2012 Spyder RT-S Quantum Blue ​SOLD / ​Hers-2012 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    love that thing, it's so easy to work on compared to the spyder. I am thinking of converting it to a bobber.
    But... then it would just be a "V-Star Custom"

Unless you're doing something more radical,than they did at the factory...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've been riding since '64, took up 3 wheels in 2009 on an RS, traded in 2011 for an RT, retired, went broke sold it, fixed my finances, got a Victory Cross Country Tour and my wife fell out of love with it, but she wants to ride- so a 2013-2014 RS-T is coming on fast. I am hot to buy but a little surprised by the heat complaints at this late date.

I guess I would spring for a 3 cylinder Rt if the heat is not to be resolved, but it's a $10 grand jump from an incentive laden 2013 RS-T to a 2014 RTS and that is just about a deal breaker.

Anyway- for a while there I was strictly 2 wheels, then strictly 3, now I am going to do both.Lucky me!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default meanstreak

Sonny-Boy is finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a street-ride.
    He wishes that he could afford a Spyder; that ain't happening!
    My questions:
    Which NEW streetbike would you suggest for a beginning ride?
    (He would want new because he's even LESS mechanically inclined than I am! )
    He's six-foot tall, and 235 pounds.. His ladyfriend is not exactly a lightweight; but she's only about five-foot two...
    Riding would be secondary roads in the Central portions of New York, and the occasional commute to work on those roads is about 40 miles.
    So far; he's narrowed the list down to:
    Honda CB500
    Honda Shadow
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Harley "Street" 500 & 750
    He knows that this forum is loaded with biking experience; so what do you think?
    thanks!
    I had a 2004. Low maint and shaft.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After years of riding 2 wheels, it seemed like new bikes just kept getting taller and wider and heavier and, at 5' 4", I had a harder and harder time holding them up, especially riding two up. So, I bought a 2010 RT, loved it, and about a year later sold my BMW R1100RT. But after a while I got to thinking, "OK, I'm not too old to ride 2 wheels now, but if I don't get another 2 wheeler I might get too old." So about a year ago, I found a 2003 BMW F650CS, bought it and love riding it when I ride solo. It's light, fairly short, and runs and handles great. I love the Spyder, too, and when we're two up it's always on the RT. I'm 76 and I never really gave up 2 wheels because I always had the dirt bikes but it's fun to be back on 2 on the street again.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RS and recently bought a 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure bike - both are different rides and like your children, I love them both for their unique characteristics.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. I do worry reading that some of you have had accidents on the 2-wheels. That is NOT what I am wanting to get into myself. Don't care to drop it, and I didn't drop anything in my MSF class. This bike I am looking at for an 800cc bike is like at 471 pounds.

I would be keeping my Spyder as well. Think someone was thinking I was giving that up but can ride the 2-wheels solo---and ride Spyder with my wife. Height differences.

Sadly I am like a bunch of you and collecting vehicles. Not so sure that is good at 52 years of life. if I buy this two wheeler- I will have 5 vehicles plus a darned boat.

I am paying my share into the tax bucket! Good Grief!!!!

Thanks again for all your repsonses.
    First of all, 52 is not old, just ask anyone that is 62 like myself. I've rode two wheelers all my life and still have 6 in the garage with the spyder. Just can't seem to let them go and very seldom ride them after the spyder came. I still pull over to check out two wheelers i see for sale on the side of the road.
    can't help it.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Hey! I did not know that you were a 650 V-Star Owner. That was my welcome back to motorcycling ride after a five year hiatus or so. I decked mine out with windshield, crash bars, and saddle bags. The next year--they had that package as the Silverado model. It was purple and I loved it. I brought that one to Alaska with me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a Honda Shadow 750 Phantom that I ride solo and the Spyder ST Limited that we ride 2-up for now. My wife is getting her license and we will be riding together someday. 2 wheels are definitely more dangerous and in my opinion is much more fun riding solo. I bought this one so we could ride 2-up, but now that we have the Spyder I'm thinking about the 2014 R1200GS.

DSC_0533.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Hey! I did not know that you were a 650 V-Star Owner. That was my welcome back to motorcycling ride after a five year hiatus or so. I decked mine out with windshield, crash bars, and saddle bags. The next year--they had that package as the Silverado model. It was purple and I loved it. I brought that one to Alaska with me.
    GREAT little bikes!

My 2000 was a red and maroon Classic. I traded it for the 2002, because the factory floorboards were available with the heel/toe shifter, and that's about when my left ankle decided to take the rest of my life off! (I couldn't upshift anymore!) The 2002 was a white and steel blue combo; I also decked that one out with the full Silverado package... Oh! the soft saddlebags... I cut the connecting leather off of them, and hung them on each side of the bike permanently by the mounting bolts for the rear fender supports... Very sano; you couldn't tell that the Yama-Dudes didn't build it that way...

Spyder Garage

I'm currently riding my 2012 H-D Road King, but have decided that the move to a 2014 Spyder RTS is in order. Will continue lurking here on SpyderLovers...

Phil
    2014 RTS / SE6 Yellow

YouTube Channel
    MotoVlog

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roddenby51 View Post
    I'm currently riding my 2012 H-D Road King, but have decided that the move to a 2014 Spyder RTS is in order. Will continue lurking here on SpyderLovers...

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sorta got forced back on to 2 wheels because of the issues with my 2013 Spyder RTS so we are currently riding a Honda VTX-1800F3. It's a nice bike but it's no Goldwing and hopefully it's a temporary ride pending the Spyder ordeal.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE