Spyder Garage

Default Looking for options to quiet Hindle Exhaust at night

I like to take my Spyder out late at night to go get a drink or two, I always worry about my neighbors complaining. Someone mentioned my late night ride last night (asking if I saw someone suspicious) but that was enough to confirm it is quite noticeable when I come back at 2am...

Is there a slip in baffle or anything else I can do on a temporary basis to quiet the hindle but not permanently install to achieve this goal?

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Really..!!!

when we were kids we would put our foot covering the tip of the exhaust. Worked well for a while... We learned where the term hot foot came from..!! Later when we got to cars we had a "Y" Joint with a cable to switch from straight pipes to mufflered pipe. These options are not viable today. You could try to make a slip in baffel but don't know of any ready made ones....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    when we were kids we would put our foot covering the tip of the exhaust. Worked well for a while... We learned where the term hot foot came from..!! Later when we got to cars we had a "Y" Joint with a cable to switch from straight pipes to mufflered pipe. These options are not viable today. You could try to make a slip in baffel but don't know of any ready made ones....

Too bad my foot doesn't reach back that far

I wouldn't even know where to start in building something from scratch... i would think something springloaded that could lock against the inside of the tailpipe and drop the sound a few db would be perfect....

I looked up active noise cancellation since I have a headset for flying that uses that. Apparently there is a college that was experimenting with speakers around the exhaust of a car and completely cancelling out the sound... but thats not on the market... that would be cool, press a button and you are in silent mode.... press it again and you are rattling windows

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

could look into it but it would have to be a unit just used to get out of your nieghborhood. Then pull it out and do what with it..?? Cause you will need it for when you come home..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You can cap it but that's a manual deal. My 2012 Corvette Grand Sport has the NPP exhaust that has a vacuum actuator that opens 2 additional exhaust ports which I wired on a footswitch. It normally opens at 4k rpm based on pressure. You could rig something like that, like a hinged-cap that is weighted down with a high-temp glue or weld on the bottom and opens after a certain pressure RPM range, dissecting the cap's diameter by drilling two tiny holes and a 1/8" aluminum "pin" for it to pivot on. You could also drill a few tiny holes into the cap-disc so some pressure can escape. Should quiet things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post
    You can cap it but that's a manual deal. My 2012 Corvette Grand Sport has the NPP exhaust that has a vacuum actuator that opens 2 additional exhaust ports which I wired on a footswitch. It normally opens at 4k rpm based on pressure. You could rig something like that, like a hinged-cap that is weighted down with a high-temp glue or weld on the bottom and opens after a certain pressure RPM range, dissecting the cap's diameter by drilling two tiny holes and a 1/8" aluminum "pin" for it to pivot on. You could also drill a few tiny holes into the cap-disc so some pressure can escape. Should quiet things.
    It's MacGuyver!!!
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Spyder Garage

One of the downsides to having a "sporty" sounding muffler. We have a neighborhood Dodge truck with the loudest mufflers I have ever heard. He likes to roar through the neighborhood late at night sometimes.

I am surprised someone has not done something bad like shooting out his tires as he goes by.

As others said, probably a MacGuyver thing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    One of the downsides to having a "sporty" sounding muffler. We have a neighborhood Dodge truck with the loudest mufflers I have ever heard. He likes to roar through the neighborhood late at night sometimes.

I am surprised someone has not done something bad like shooting out his tires as he goes by.

As others said, probably a MacGuyver thing.
    I get complaints all the time when i drive my truck at night. I live in a primarily military neighborhood, and they really dont like being woken up at 2am by my magnaflow competition exhaust on my dodge ram.

bottom line, and this goes for my motorcycle too... i'm not breaking any noise laws in my city nor county (i checked) and therefore, as ****ty as it sounds, i just dont care. true, i do try to keep my late night drives to a minimum, but its a free country. i dont force them to go to sleep early.

so i guess all i have to say is this. be as courteous as you can, try not to make it a nightly thing, but then, i wouldnt spend time nor energy hoping to not piss off neighbors.

Spyder Garage

If you live in a hilly neighborhood, you can always track your way home going downhill and cut the engine off!
    Unless you live on top of a hill...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

If you have a SM, short-shifting cuts down on the noise.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Put the oe exhaust back on if you know you are coming back late.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Put the oe exhaust back on if you know you are coming back late.
    That sounds like a lot of work every night, especially since I have the BRP saddlebags which the exhaust is then mounted to :P

I wasn't looking to go super quiet... just lower the sound a bit. The past few days I've been letting it roll down the driveway when I take off to avoid idling.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Agreed, but watch out for the forum hooligans that will tell you you'll burn up the clutch.....haha

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    LOL... yeah, I have the SE5.... with the Hindle it really backfires everytime I shift.... neighbors probably think they are getting shot at....

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    LOL... yeah, I have the SE5.... with the Hindle it really backfires everytime I shift.... neighbors probably think they are getting shot at....
    Where in Champlin do you live? I live in Dayton right off South Diamond Lake and Dayton River Road, right off 169. I have not seen any other spyders around!

Spyder Garage

Wink Don't Sweat it

I really wouldn't sweat it too much. I'm located a few miles east of you with an RSS Se5 and Hindle exhaust. When I'm out late and driving through the neighbor hood I keep my shift points a little lower 3600-4000 and try not to roll heavy on the throttle as I would normally do in the day time. As far as the backfiring goes, let your rpm's drop to about 3600 with out using the throttle before down shifting into the next lower gear. If you have an automatic garage door opener that helps too. (You don't have to let it idle while trying to open the door)

If you think the Hindle is loud now, start it up and go for a ride on a -15 degree winter night!

Another thought to ponder is this:
    Why is it when you try to be quiet, you end up making more noise in the first place!!

Hope to see you around sometime. Over 28,000 smiles without any complaints of noise from the neighbors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    I like to take my Spyder out late at night to go get a drink or two, Someone mentioned my late night ride last night (asking if I saw someone suspicious) but that was enough to confirm it is quite noticeable when I come back at 2am...
    The "Dutch-Methodist Bluenose Insurance Guy" in me is biting his lower lip, and not saying anything...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I forgot to add this

Here's a few things you can check or do for your back firing issue.
    1) If you have over 12k on your plugs you can change them.
    2) You may want to check out your wire set
    3) Check your Y gaskets
    4) I noticed if I'm running up through the gears holding a steady half throttle or less, or completely steady full throttle she will not back fire with the Hindle.

But for some reason if I'm holding a steady throttle just over half but less than full she will backfire every time. If I hold a steady full throttle and roll off the throttle slightly before shifting she will backfire.

5) When I down shift, if I'm half throttle or more and go to down shift she will back fire. If I roll off the throttle to less than half and let the rpm's drop below 4000, 9 times out of 10 she don't backfire.

Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H.L.Spyder Guy View Post
    Here's a few things you can check or do for your back firing issue.
    1) If you have over 12k on your plugs you can change them.
    2) You may want to check out your wire set
    3) Check your Y gaskets
    4) I noticed if I'm running up through the gears holding a steady half throttle or less, or completely steady full throttle she will not back fire with the Hindle.

But for some reason if I'm holding a steady throttle just over half but less than full she will backfire every time. If I hold a steady full throttle and roll off the throttle slightly before shifting she will backfire.

5) When I down shift, if I'm half throttle or more and go to down shift she will back fire. If I roll off the throttle to less than half and let the rpm's drop below 4000, 9 times out of 10 she don't backfire.

Hope this helps

I have an all new ignition system as BRP has been throwing things at the wall trying to determine why my machine acts up once a week or so ... so the plugs and wires are new (Not smiling about them unable to find the problem after a year of looking)

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The "Dutch-Methodist Bluenose Insurance Guy" in me is biting his lower lip, and not saying anything...
    Haha, its more likely to be damaged by the other drunks.... most days I only have a bottomless coke and at most one beer, I'm not much of a drinker myself... I just like the company, especially mid week when its slower and its only the steady regulars and the staff members I've gotten to know

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Banehaven View Post
    Where in Champlin do you live? I live in Dayton right off South Diamond Lake and Dayton River Road, right off 169. I have not seen any other spyders around!
    I live on the west side of Jefferson a few blocks from Culvers. You'll find me most nights parked at Clive's Roadhouse after 11pm.

I've seen a few RT's around over the last year. I passed either an RS OR ST the other night on Zachary near the park reserve, didn't see which one. I've also seen an identical orange and black RSS on Elm Creek Rd last year.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder: