Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Loaded qeistion about half helmets

I ride with a Full Face all the time, but I also wouldn't mind having a 1/2 helmet to enjoy the wind in my face openess that it would provide as well. My issue is every single helmet I've tried makes me look like I have a Mushroom on my head And I see other riders both bike and spyders occasionally that have the coolest better fitting or lower fitting on the head helmet that actually looks awesome. Now I don't want to purchase a low grade, I want it to be very safe and rated correctly...

Any suggestions?? or pics of your helmet on?

Thanks
    Rich

Spyder Garage

you can look into kevler helmets, they are low profile and light weight
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Be prepared for a lot of answers.

Helmets, seats, gear, and oil questions will always give you a lot of things to think about.

Yes, half helmets are lighter, some much more stylish than the full face, modular, and open face type helmets. Which to wear is a choice that we are all entitled to make.

The "least" helmet I will wear is an open face with a shield attached. Nolan N43 or N44, in my case. I have always been afraid to be "less" protected--but in the event of an ejection from the , I am guessing that full face helmet is the way to go.

One can never choose the time and gear when an accident happens--so my recommendation--even though I do not follow it 100% is full face protection.

The cab yellow version of the Nolan N44 is my latest. Baja Ron--a SL sponsor, has good prices on these at the moment.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-03-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HelmetImpactChart_zpse4dbd104.jpg Modular for me... Sorry!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    HelmetImpactChart_zpse4dbd104.jpg Modular for me... Sorry!
    Good Choice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ll-Half-Helmet

I have this one and really like it a lot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've tried 1/2 helmets but didn't have a face shield and my eyes would get too dry. I have a Scorpion modular (EXO900), but it's about 4.25 lbs and heavy to wear on a long day of ryding. So I just bought a Shoei RF1200 full-face helmet that's a lb less than the Scorpion. I'll take the shield and chin-bar off the Scorpion and wear it as a 3/4 helmet with the prescription goggles I just ordered.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rworell View Post
    I ride with a Full Face all the time, but I also wouldn't mind having a 1/2 helmet to enjoy the wind in my face openess that it would provide as well. My issue is every single helmet I've tried makes me look like I have a Mushroom on my head And I see other riders both bike and spyders occasionally that have the coolest better fitting or lower fitting on the head helmet that actually looks awesome. Now I don't want to purchase a low grade, I want it to be very safe and rated correctly...

Thanks
    Rich
    If you look closely, many of those with the cooler, better, lower fitting helmets are wearing helmets that are not DOT or Snell approved.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wear nothing but a halfy with a clear half shield on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm looking at the Shark Evoline 3 St Arona Modular. The chinbar will pull all the way back so you can ride as a 3/4 helmet or as a fullface.
    I wish I could find one to try on before I order one. The only place I've seen one is revzilla.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    I'm looking at the Shark Evoline 3 St Arona Modular. The chinbar will pull all the way back so you can ride as a 3/4 helmet or as a fullface.
    I wish I could find one to try on before I order one. The only place I've seen one is revzilla.
    Revzilla's pretty good about returns, in my experience. But you have to buy it to try it and then get the refund when it's returned/exchanged.

I did that a year or so ago with the Evoline 3. It was too round for my head.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wear a hi-viz Scorpion EXO 500. It has a drop down sun shade and great venting.http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...st-neon-helmet
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I would love the wind-swept freedom of a half-helmet or even a 3/4 helmet.

Alas, I'm paranoid, and with complete personal justification: I saw what just a "dinky" 20-mph spill off her scooter did to my GF's full face, had she been wearing an open helmet there wouldn't have been much left for me to kiss.

Anyway, I saw this design a few years back; appears nobody has made one since. I don't know of any structural reason why a helmet chinbar needs to be solid-- something "football style" strikes me as a perfect compromise. Might still bust my nose, but I've done that before, another crack might be an improvement!

roof-rats-black.jpg
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Revzilla's pretty good about returns, in my experience. But you have to buy it to try it and then get the refund when it's returned/exchanged.

I did that a year or so ago with the Evoline 3. It was too round for my head.

The new Evoline 3 is supposed to be a more neutral head and not so round. I hope so. It's not due out for about a week.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    I would love the wind-swept freedom of a half-helmet or even a 3/4 helmet.

Alas, I'm paranoid, and with complete personal justification: I saw what just a "dinky" 20-mph spill off her scooter did to my GF's full face, had she been wearing an open helmet there wouldn't have been much left for me to kiss.

Anyway, I saw this design a few years back; appears nobody has made one since. I don't know of any structural reason why a helmet chinbar needs to be solid-- something "football style" strikes me as a perfect compromise. Might still bust my nose, but I've done that before, another crack might be an improvement!

roof-rats-black.jpg
    That design does seem to offer the best of Both Worlds!

Plus; you never know when a game of football is gonna break out!

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Rich
    Many say riding a motorcycle is a risk but we do it anyway because we enjoy it so much. There are those of us who ride who prefer skid lids, half helmets or open face. They like the comfort or as some have said the "wind in the face" feel. As long as you know the risks go for it. I for one prefer a full face, modular to be exact. I had a high side on two wheels a few years ago. I came out with only some cuts, minor abrasions and a sprained ankle. But as I was sliding along the asphalt along the edge of the street all I could see was the concrete curb sliding past my face as my face was pressed up against it. I was wearing a full face modular and the helmet and face shield took all the abrasion. My face would have been hamburger had I been wearing ANYTHING other than a full face. You know the risks - you make the decision.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Dress for the crash; not for the ride..."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Dress for the crash; not for the ride..."
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

While I normally wear a Shoei RF 1100 I have a Scorpion EXO-100 half helmet with a drop down visor I wear in parades or slow charity runs. It's the most comfortable half helmet I've ever tried and it's DOT rated. They've discontinued them though they can still be found on the interwebs. They also have an upgraded model that might be good.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Rich

Rich, my wife and I have both ridden with half helmets year round for many, many years. In winter we simply wear balaclavas underneath.

Here are some pics. Her's is a Scorpion and mine is a Fulmer. both purchases came after trying on several different makes both in stores and trying and sending stuff back from on line.

I don't have a problem with wind noise but she does. We find that by using the Sena SPH-10H headsets the open area around the ears are filled in quite nicely and the headsets also act as noise suppressors. On the Fulmer I had to do a bit of surgery with the strap to get the headset to fit but once done it works quite well.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I have a full face modular, half and 3/4. Summer time it's half or 3/4 for me. The wife can't wear a full face or modular, she's claustrophobic. My half helmet is a Daytona. Very comfortable. HJC makes a very nice half "cruiser". The Bell Rouge is nice with a removable chin guard and the Bell Drifter is nice. The HJC IS-2 has a drop down sun shade.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Nolan N44

I wear the Nolan N44, you can remove the chin bar and adapt the helmet in many other ways. I had the N-comm fitted to it as well.
    N44_14_250_.jpg
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Bell Rogue Helmet maybe? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...aW2lkLPfDw_wcB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

First, I am so thankful that while some have posted their preferences for more protection, I haven't seen anyone name calling or being condescending. Thank you Spyderlovers one and all. We all have preferences and choices.

I wear a Bell Evo modular (pic below) almost always when traveling. Especially super slab and with my wife because of all the features like a transition shield and Bluetooth headsets.

However, for short trips around town, to work, or a solo cruise,, I love my half helmet. And I may wear the half helmet on group rides where we have frequent stops. But like the OP,,, I didn't want the mushroom head. I searched high and low for the right helmet. The link below will take you to the absolute lowest profile helmet I could find that was still DOT. I have included a pic of me with my half helmet that I ordered from the linked site. Mine is the Outlaw Slim DOT. Be aware. They sell both DOT and non DOT. So read the product descriptions closely. And I do really like the Pit Boss. That will be my next Half Helmet.

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Half-Face...esc/2/284.html

My Bell EVO that I love and then my half helmet.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited by SteveMac; 06-03-2014 at 06:23 PM.