Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    First, I am so thankful that while some have posted their preferences for more protection, I haven't seen anyone name calling or being condescending. Thank you Spyderlovers one and all. We all have preferences and choices.

I wear a Bell Evo modular (pic below) almost always when traveling. Especially super slab and with my wife because of all the features like a transition shield and Bluetooth headsets.

However, for short trips around town, to work, or a solo cruise,, I love my half helmet. And I may wear the half helmet on group rides where we have frequent stops. But like the OP,,, I didn't want the mushroom head. I searched high and low for the right helmet. The link below will take you to the absolute lowest profile helmet I could find that was still DOT. I have included a pic of me with my half helmet that I ordered from the linked site.

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Half-Face...ets/2/284.html

My Bell EVO that I love and then my half helmet.

My wife wears one of the 1/2 helmets you linked to. She likes it a lot. Me? Not so much. I like the 3/4 helmet. The 1/2 seems too noisy for me.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

The think I don't like about 1/2 helmets the lower half of you face is tan or sun burned and the upper half is white. That is for us white people.

Mike

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    My wife wears one of the 1/2 helmets you linked to. She likes it a lot. Me? Not so much. I like the 3/4 helmet. The 1/2 seems too noisy for me.

Funny. Just the opposite for my wife and I. She will rarely wear anything other than a full face. She wears contacts and the full face protects her eyes from drying out. This is our first year with the modular helmets, but I think we will like them a lot. Very convenient to flip up at a stop light for a drink, etc. . And I agree with you, at interstate speeds, for noise reduction in addition to the items I mentioned above, I prefer the modular.

Spyder Garage

Those are very good looking helmets. This is the first time I really gave them a long look.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Be prepared for a lot of answers.

Helmets, seats, gear, and oil questions will always give you a lot of things to think about.

Yes, half helmets are lighter, some much more stylish than the full face, modular, and open face type helmets. Which to wear is a choice that we are all entitled to make.

The "least" helmet I will wear is an open face with a shield attached. Nolan N43 or N44, in my case. I have always been afraid to be "less" protected--but in the event of an ejection from the , I am guessing that full face helmet is the way to go.

One can never choose the time and gear when an accident happens--so my recommendation--even though I do not follow it 100% is full face protection.

The cab yellow version of the Nolan N44 is my latest. Baja Ron--a SL sponsor, has good prices on these at the moment.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For your safety stay with full face

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't you just love when you post asking for recommendations for a half helmet and half of the responses you get are opinions on whether you should even wear one or suggesting you wear something else. Fortunately there are a few who stuck to the question at hand and made some suggestions based on their experience.

BTW, I wear a full face helmet but I am interested in the responses to the questions asked as to good half helmets for summer wear on occasion. Being of sound mind I feel like I can make the decision when or if I want to wear one or not.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Don't you just love when you post asking for recommendations for a half helmet and half of the responses you get are opinions on whether you should even wear one or suggesting you wear something else. Fortunately there are a few who stuck to the question at hand and made some suggestions based on their experience.
    . I think they are just sharing their own thinking process, and are really not intending to be judgmental, at least I hope so.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Neat looking lid, but keep in mind that lower offers only decorative wind-and-bug protection, no safety protection.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post

BTW, I wear a full face helmet but I am interested in the responses to the questions asked as to good half helmets for summer wear on occasion. Being of sound mind I feel like I can make the decision when or if I want to wear one or not.
    . I think they are just sharing their own thinking process, and are really not intending to be judgmental, at least I hope so.

I agree Dan. I say, well done overall!

And Dick, I hear what you are saying. But let me toss this out there,,, I am actually happy with the posts so far here. I understand what you are saying, in that they could just stick to answering the question,,, But some have a very strong passion about full protection helmets, and I think they feel a sincere desire to express that by sharing their passion for safety.

But,,, in this thread, unlike MOST in the past,,,, the differing opinions were offered with respect. No comments that were demeaning to the OP, and no calling anyone a moron or worse. We have seen that far too often in the past.

In fact, I think I have never been more proud to be a Spyderlovers member. Some may laugh at that and say B.S.!!! But I'm dead serious. A thread about helmets that hasn't become venomous!!! Yes. Some of the posts didn't specifically address the OP question. But that's OK! I still think this thread has been a huge success so far. Just my 2 cents bro!

Hey Dick, will I see you at any events this year????

Spyder Garage

been on two wheels forever (still have a vtx 1800) and I am terrible about riding gear. If I have a windshield, I wear a half helmet, if not I wear a full face. In the summer I cannot ride full faced at all, TOO HOT! I've tried just about every helmet out there and none of them vent enough. I never wear what most spyder people wear either again too hot...I wear tennis shoes, shorts and a t shirt in the summer....sometimes flip flops..lol But to answer your question, there are low profile half helmies that are dot approved and look cool. I have a fulmer cheapie and it is pretty nice looking, just flat black with flames that are less flat.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just saw an ad for the smallest profile DOT approved helmets. http://www.bikerhelmets.com/
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 06-04-2014 at 04:51 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Modular for me... Sorry!

If you do the math on these strike point numbers the yellow area (unprotected by a 3/4 helmet) comes out to a bit over 45%.

So a 3/4 helmet protects a little over 1/2 of what a a full face protects.

Do the numbers again and you'll find a 1/2 helmet protects less than 40% of what a full face protects.

Of course the numbers don't mean a thing, until you need them....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I just saw an ad for the smallest profile DOT approved helmets. Bikerhelmets.com

Thanks for the link. Will check it out!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

If you do the math on these strike point numbers the yellow area (unprotected by a 3/4 helmet) comes out to a bit over 45%.

So a 3/4 helmet protects a little over 1/2 of what a a full face protects.

Do the numbers again and you'll find a 1/2 helmet protects less than 40% of what a full face protects.

Of course the numbers don't mean a thing, until you need them....
    This is a truly sobering chart. Thank you far caring enough to share it with us.
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 06-03-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

with those who wear modular helmets. Though some where in the middle you do have them both with you at all times. I like to run open face around town and slower country roads and full face on freeways or dusty buggy areas....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Schuberth C3 Pro

Neither the wife nor I was comfortable with the HJC full helmets, wrong construction to fit us comfortably and too inconvenient to take a drink while taking a pause during a ride. We went with the Schuberth C3 Pro. This modular is great fit for us, very good venting and we like the built in sunshade. The Pinlock shield eliminates fogging of the main shield. A bit pricey but it is a great helmet. Just wish it was a bit lighter.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cycle Gear

Go to your local Cycle Gear store or go on line to www.cyclegear.com
    they have several you will like that are not junk cheap stuff.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rworell View Post
    I ride with a Full Face all the time, but I also wouldn't mind having a 1/2 helmet to enjoy the wind in my face openess that it would provide as well. My issue is every single helmet I've tried makes me look like I have a Mushroom on my head And I see other riders both bike and spyders occasionally that have the coolest better fitting or lower fitting on the head helmet that actually looks awesome. Now I don't want to purchase a low grade, I want it to be very safe and rated correctly...

Any suggestions?? or pics of your helmet on?

Thanks
    Rich

Spyder Garage

Default I couldn't agree more with the great comments and civility of this post...

Steve, this is fantastic and I couldn't agree more... I'm looking for the right helmet... yes.... but I also thougtht this would prevoke some great conversation and a discussion as to what everyones preferences and likes as well as dislikes are....

Again, thanks for the link and your input!!!
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    First, I am so thankful that while some have posted their preferences for more protection, I haven't seen anyone name calling or being condescending. Thank you Spyderlovers one and all. We all have preferences and choices.

I wear a Bell Evo modular (pic below) almost always when traveling. Especially super slab and with my wife because of all the features like a transition shield and Bluetooth headsets.

However, for short trips around town, to work, or a solo cruise,, I love my half helmet. And I may wear the half helmet on group rides where we have frequent stops. But like the OP,,, I didn't want the mushroom head. I searched high and low for the right helmet. The link below will take you to the absolute lowest profile helmet I could find that was still DOT. I have included a pic of me with my half helmet that I ordered from the linked site. Mine is the Outlaw Slim DOT. Be aware. They sell both DOT and non DOT. So read the product descriptions closely. And I do really like the Pit Boss. That will be my next Half Helmet.

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Half-Face...esc/2/284.html

My Bell EVO that I love and then my half helmet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that a lot of us started yammering on about full-face helmets, because we care what happens to each other...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Couldn't agree more.....

Well Said!!!! Love my Spyder friends even If I haven't met all of them yet

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that a lot of us started yammering on about full-face helmets, because we care what happens to each other...