Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS - Test Ride

Wife and I decided to take a test ride on the new 2014 RTS. Local dealer had a white one available for a test ride. Started out and about a mile into the ride we started to hear a clicking noise. Figured something was loose and flopping around (side panel, etc). I got louder and louder as we drove. Then it stalled when I went to take off from a stop sign. Thought maybe I was doing something wrong as this is first time on the semi-auto tranny. As we started back to the dealer the noise became louder and louder and now was sounding like a piston knocking. Next, the oil light came on and service engine (yellow) light. We pulled over and called the dealer to come get us. Please keep in mind, I do NOT trust the service dept. at this dealer as they messed up service several times on my sleds. Hoping this is not a systemic problem but rather a dealer who did not setup the machine correctly, forgot to add oil, etc..

I'm a bit more nervous about pulling the trigger on a 2014 now but all the reviews on here have been great. If I do it won't be from this local dealer for sure!

Spyder Garage

What happened to you should not happen on a test ride, or when a is delivered to the customer. If the dealer has a bad history when it comes to servicing, I would take that as a large clue.

If you read about the 2014's on this site, you will see that what happened to you is the exception rather than the rule.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm guessing it's the dealer/service people. I hope you'll test drive again at another dealership.

How many miles did the demo-Spyder have on it?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

did they tell you what the problem was..?? It is strange....first I've seen this happen. These new machines have been very good and have had no real problems. I would get a test ryde somewhere else. It is worth it..you will be thrilled..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That dealer sure didn't do any justice to the machine... or to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

60 miles on the Spyder. Going to try another dealer. Tough to find a good one in these parts. Ingles is 2hrs away.

Spyder Garage

you need to find a diferent dealer. I drove 130 miles to purchase mine because I was not happy with the one that is 2 miles from me. As for the 14's mine has been troble free in 3100 miles and so much better than my 13. You owe it to your wife and yourself to test drive one from a dealer who knows how to set one up.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue