Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2,273.5 Miles Later

Hi all, just got back from a trip that started in Bryant Arkansas, went to New York City and then to the Poconos (in PA) and back to Arkansas, 2,773.5 Miles

4 people (2 couples).

2 Spyders, 1-2014 RT-S Pulling an after market trailer, 1-2012 RTL Pulling a BRP trailer.

2014 used about 28% less fuel.

Both Spyders performed fantastic, absolutely no problems and neither Spyder used any oil.

Lessons learned:

You can't take a trailer through the Holland Tunnel.

The toll to take a Spyder pulling a trailer through the Lincoln Tunnel = $27.00 (ouch).

Certain Highways in New York prohibit trailers (big fines).

Did 700 + Miles on two two different days and with the New backrest for the 2014 Spyder it was a dream ride, very comfortable (Stock seat and BRP driver backrest).

Good rain gear that is easily accessible is important.

Good cup holder with an ample supply of cold water is priceless.

Glad to be home and really should be out cleaning my Spyder right now.

CuznJohn, sorry about not being able to meet up with you but it was a hectic time and we had a lot of things to do.

Just noticed that the header says 2,273.5 miles it was actually 2,773.5 miles

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 06-02-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Glad to see you had a great trip!
    So how did you deal with the trailers (i.e. how did you find out and what did you do with them in the meantime)?
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your update on your trip! Glad all went well, i.e. no issues, Spyders ran well, enjoyed your trip, and stayed safe!!

Yes...I really enjoy the MPG boost on my 2014 RT vs. 2012 RT....however, like the 2014 overall performance the most in regard to the smoothness, lower rpm's, backrest is great for me, etc. Enjoyed my 2012 RT, enjoying my 2014 RT even more!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Glad to see you had a great trip!
    So how did you deal with the trailers (i.e. how did you find out and what did you do with them in the meantime)?
    The way i found out about the Holland Tunnel was i drove up to it, was politely redirected over to the Police Officers and told to go another way.

Just have to use the roads that will allow trailers, it is something like, Parkways, No No, Expressways, OK, or something along that line

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post
    Thanks for your update on your trip! Glad all went well, i.e. no issues, Spyders ran well, enjoyed your trip, and stayed safe!!

Yes...I really enjoy the MPG boost on my 2014 RT vs. 2012 RT....however, like the 2014 overall performance the most in regard to the smoothness, lower rpm's, backrest is great for me, etc. Enjoyed my 2012 RT, enjoying my 2014 RT even more!

, me too.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We noticed that you had been conspicuously quiet...
    Glad to hear that the trip well!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Happy to hear you guys made it safely............

Also assume the girls didn't feel compelled to stay in NY and return to their roots. Sounds like all 4 of you made it without any divorces or violence between yourselves. I'm sure there were a few lectures from Sheila and Kathy directed at you, Joe.

Glad you made it safe.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerkc View Post
    Also assume the girls didn't feel compelled to stay in NY and return to their roots. Sounds like all 4 of you made it without any divorces or violence between yourselves. I'm sure there were a few lectures from Sheila and Kathy directed at you, Joe.

Glad you made it safe.

Jim
    I am always the BAD guy...

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a really fun trip... glad to be back I'd bet.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Good news..!!

sounds like a great trip outside of finding out about travel in new york.. Hope the rain was little and short lived. Great to hear how well your roadsters performed. Always good to know great rydes are being had. So a good cleaning and where to next..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the report. $27???? Wow. I was complaining that I had to pay $3.50 instead of $2.70 on the Ks Turnpike with my trailer! Won't complain about that again. . . . Sheeeeessh!

So what's the rule for towing a trailer in NY state? If I go there in Sept I will need to know.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Great to hear you had a safe trip and fun was had by all!
    With those gas savings the upgrade will pay for it self in no time!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting about the trip and for the NY travel information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    sounds like a great trip outside of finding out about travel in new york.. Hope the rain was little and short lived. Great to hear how well your roadsters performed. Always good to know great rydes are being had. So a good cleaning and where to next..??

Colorado for the owners event

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Thanks for the report. $27???? Wow. I was complaining that I had to pay $3.50 instead of $2.70 on the Ks Turnpike with my trailer! Won't complain about that again. . . . Sheeeeessh!

So what's the rule for towing a trailer in NY state? If I go there in Sept I will need to know.
    You can take the trailer on Expressways ( ie Long Island Expressway) but not sure on the other highways (ie Parkways etc)

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Sounds like a really fun trip... glad to be back I'd bet.

JT

Glad to sleep in my own bed and have my shop to clean up the Spyder.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am glad you all had a great time. You need to visit Michigan sometime.

ToM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    I am glad you all had a great time. You need to visit Michigan sometime.

ToM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes i am sure that you would like to go to your home state eventually. 9,459 mile on my 2014 so far

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    You can take the trailer on Expressways ( ie Long Island Expressway) but not sure on the other highways (ie Parkways etc)

Cruzr Joe
    No to the belt parkway or the Northern state parkway. Hell, you can't even take a commercial licensed pick up truck on those roads. I took an unmarked p/up on the belt one time while working at JFK...that didn't work out so well as they forced me off in Brooklyn somewhere.(pre gps days) Got lost in brooklyn and ended up back on the belt 2 exits before where i already was pulled over I went for it and made it to the Verranzano Bridge as fast as i could
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    No to the belt parkway or the Northern state parkway. Hell, you can't even take a commercial licensed pick up truck on those roads. I took an unmarked p/up on the belt one time while working at JFK...that didn't work out so well as they forced me off in Brooklyn somewhere.(pre gps days) Got lost in brooklyn and ended up back on the belt 2 exits before where i already was pulled over I went for it and made it to the Verranzano Bridge as fast as i could

Get out of NY

Spyder Garage

you never called i was waiting
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    you never called i was waiting

John

Like i said in the original post, it was hectic and time got away from me, sorry buddy maybe next time.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I am always the BAD guy...
    I wouldn't say that. You were polite and courteous when we spoke at SF and I would have liked to chat with you
    for longer.
    Bad guy...Nah! Maybe a little misunderstood!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    I wouldn't say that. You were polite and courteous when we spoke at SF and I would have liked to chat with you
    for longer.
    Bad guy...Nah! Maybe a little misunderstood!!

yeah, that's me ...... MISUNDERSTOOD ..................... Thanks

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Glad you are back. See you soon.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black