Spyder Garage

Default What are the vents for?

There are two vents at the top of the tuberware, just behind the wind deflectors. Does anyone know why these exist? Is it to let air in, or to let air out? If it is to let are in, then why have the wind deflectors? If it is to let air out, then why have it on the front of the Spyder?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    There are two vents at the top of the tuberware, just behind the wind deflectors. Does anyone know why these exist? Is it to let air in, or to let air out? If it is to let are in, then why have the wind deflectors? If it is to let air out, then why have it on the front of the Spyder?
    We were just talking about that in another thread. The collective wisdom is that they're to let hot air out and that the deflectors creat a vacuum behind them to help suck it out.

Spyder Garage

Default Just what I asked

This is what I asked on another thread.

"One question I would like to ask, behind the side deflectors I can see a black grille, what is the purpose of that grille ?
    Is it to let hot air from the engine escape ? if so wouldn't a closed deflector as comes as standard inhibit this grille performing at it's maximum capacity ?
    With the deflector in the 2nd or 3rd open position you have a flow of cool air going past the grille, this will in effect assist by drawing the warm air out, just my thoughts."
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

with they are to allow the hot air out of the engine compartment. Air flowing by them helps pull the hot air out. Don't know that the deflectors help do the same. They have other functions....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default vents

Never noticed any hot air exiting from the vents below the mirrors until after I replaced my air-cleaner with JT's model. Now the hot air coming out the vents while sitting or moving is very noticeable. Purchased a set of adjustable vents from another spyderlover. After installation I feel that they did make a big difference. The fixed vent hot air was directed back at me. Nice in cool weather but when it get warm not the best. Now I can direct the air away or simply allow it to mix with incoming air. Tupperware is no longer hot and no gas smell or boiling gas. Lots of space above the engine now and in my opinion the vents are doing the job as designed.

Spyder Garage

If you wear gloves, they are for drying gloves while you ride. They also tend to warm your hands in cooler months when you are not on the heated grips.

Honestly, the airflow of the exterior bodywork is a shape that will tend to create a low pressure behind the the plastic deflector helping to draw the rising hot air out from under the bodywork. When stationary, it also allows a means for the heated air to escape.

In regards to the black vents, the black vent / grille is decorative. The opening through the bodywork accomplishes the task.

The adjustable deflectors alter airflow around the bodywork opening. This may or may not effect the efficiency of how well the opening works.

In summary, the opening is in a lower pressure area, pulling the heat out. I do not know the "official" cooling airflow path under the body work, but if the upper opening were turned into a positive "ram air" setup, trying to cool better, the inlet and out pressure may become closer to equal and the airflow would or could be hindered.

The obvious best is not to introduce heat that needs to be removed. Sounds simple, but you guys are working intensely on that.

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    We were just talking about that in another thread. The collective wisdom is that they're to let hot air out and that the deflectors creat a vacuum behind them to help suck it out.
    This is actually correct and I have watched how it works using sailors ribbons.
    The deflector causes a low pressure area behind it and it also has a vortex behind that. This causes heat up near the vent to be sucked out!

Why did I test this myself? Because 2 weekends ago I installed the adjustable deflectors. I was running them fully open to get more air over my body. Let me tell you HOT FOOT! I couldnt figure out why I was now getting hot foot even on 70 degree days doing 65 down the freeway! I said to myself....... OK what changed? I never had a hot foot issue before at these kind of temps. Then I thought about it and decided to break out a few sail ribbons and stick them to the outside of the deflectors. Sure as hell, when they are closed heat is coming up out of those vents. When they are open heat is getting pushed down and coming out the lower side vent. Thus I was getting more heat than usual on my foot!

I basically confirmed this was the cause of my hotfoot this AM ride to work. This AM was overcast and about 65F. I had the deflectors open and noticed hot foot which normally I would NEVER feel on a morning like this. I reached down and closed the deflector. Within a few minutes the hot foot completely went away!

Now when I say hot foot it's not like painful or anything just that you can feel your foot and inside ankle getting heat I normally did not feel.

So just an FYI to my experiences with the adjustable deflectors.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black