Spyder Garage

Default land of the lost under the seat

has anyone ever dropped something down the back of the seat and how do you get it back. my never ending story of me working on my bike. i put the whole bike back together today after a very long and trying hand break instillation yesterday. as some of you may have read my post, things didn't go right but i got it done. so today i am finishing the bike and i had my cell phone, smokes and lighter in my hand and i went to close down the seat.the seat wouldn't latch so i put everything i had in my hand on top of the seat and i lifted the seat, well guess where mt lighter ended up, YUP down that hole of no return. i have tried everything to get it back but to no avail. so how do we get under that black top plate to retrieve anything lost under there. it looks to me that the seat and a whole bunch of plastic has to come off to get under there, my other question is just how much heat is under there and will i be riding a bomb when i ride.

the bike goes in on the 9th to have the xm radio installed and the entertainment harness so i will ask them to get it being they have to remove a lot if plastic to install the radio kit. after you stop laughing i would appreciate any answers you can give me, and i also know i shouldn't smoke so that doesn't need to be mentioned either. thanks
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Two weeks ago a buddy was telling me that he went out to his car, light his cigarette with a Bic lighter that was in his closed car (temps outside were in the high 90's), put the lighter down, and the lighter blew up. He said it was a loud pop, and did not see any flames. You did not say what kind of lighter you lost, but if a Bic I would assume if it blows all the butane will quickly burn up.

n 2010 I dropped a small brass washer that fell into the handle bar space above motor area of my old RS, and no matter what I took off could not find it. I just replaced it, and went on my merry way. Never had any problems, and to this day do not know if it worked its way out to the ground, or is still where it fell to.

My guess (and might not be a good one) is as long as it is not next to the exhaust pipe you should be okay to wait until you appointment on the ninth.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I dropped a socket down there when I was putting on my Ultimate seat, but was lucky enough to retrieve it with a magnetic probe built specifically for fishing stuff out of inaccessible places.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As mentioned in earlier threads, whenever I work in around the seat, I put some cut up sponge in those holes. I know that is not much help now, but will help out the next time! Not sure how to get it out now, and know it is annoying not knowing where it is, as I dropped a bolt when I removed my dash, and was unable to retrieve it. Replaced it with a new one, but always bugged me that I could not find it!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've replaced that black plastic piece that is part of the rear wheel well. (Damaged by dealer when they did warranty repair on ACS...that's another story)
    Yeah, you've pretty much got to take it all off...plastic, both side cases, rear fender.
    But eventually when you've got just about all of it off, you can get a hand in there.
    Good luck man.

Spyder Garage

Could have been worse john. You could have dropped it down into your previous bike and literally lit the fuse
    Last edited by spyder3; 05-31-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of the glitch with the lighter John. I am guessing not to much to worry about. Let the dealer go for it when he has to tear everything apart.

I lost a fairing mount bolt on the 2009 and never found it. My last installation (Utiopia seat back), I put a towel over everything just to make sure.

Murphy is always there, just waiting to strike.

Oh, and smokes can be bad for you. Just kidding, but could not resist.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    has anyone ever dropped something down the back of the seat and how do you get it back. my never ending story of me working on my bike. i put the whole bike back together today after a very long and trying hand break instillation yesterday. as some of you may have read my post, things didn't go right but i got it done. so today i am finishing the bike and i had my cell phone, smokes and lighter in my hand and i went to close down the seat.the seat wouldn't latch so i put everything i had in my hand on top of the seat and i lifted the seat, well guess where mt lighter ended up, YUP down that hole of no return. i have tried everything to get it back but to no avail. so how do we get under that black top plate to retrieve anything lost under there. it looks to me that the seat and a whole bunch of plastic has to come off to get under there, my other question is just how much heat is under there and will i be riding a bomb when i ride.

the bike goes in on the 9th to have the xm radio installed and the entertainment harness so i will ask them to get it being they have to remove a lot if plastic to install the radio kit. after you stop laughing i would appreciate any answers you can give me, and i also know i shouldn't smoke so that doesn't need to be mentioned either. thanks
    On the 2014 RT under the back of the seat there is a black plastic peace between the passengers hand hold and the center of the bike
    They are separate pieces and are held on by 2 bolts
    I found my dropped bolt under one of these pieces
    The back bolt is a little hard to get to. but if you unlatch the seat shock at one end you can lift it far enough to get a 1/4 inch socket and ratchet with the correct bit in there
    Hope this helps
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Could have been worse john. You could have dropped in down into your previous bike and literally lit the fuse
    Or maybe that would have been better,,,just commenting,,, not suggesting a felonious act!

Spyder Garage

Been there don't that, lost a socket down there. The last time I put tape and left it there, not sure if it is a problem leaving it there? anyone know if it will be an issue?
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Spyder Garage

Default Like that game..!!

Plinko...you have to stop and listen close to see where the sound of the falling object takes you. Well you should be good till the dearler is handed the challenge. What usually happens is it rattles it's way out and you never find it. Likr freeway traffic jams..you never see why..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just have seventeen of your friends over to watch the game...
    Before it starts; invite them out to the garage to see the new bike...
    Ask them to see if they can pick it up...
    Then; have them turn it upside down, and shake the living Bejeepers out of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black