Spyder Garage

Default strange e mail today don baker

i ordered the baker built air wings from don baker @ baker built, i paid through paypal and received the wings yesterday. now today i get a upsetting e mail from don about a bill from 2007 saying he never received the 200 i said i would pay him. has anyone else who has dealt with him received a e mail saying you owe him money. i am thinking his e mail might of been hacked because i always pay for a service or product. i wrote back to him and i am waiting for a reply. it has to be a mistake being the sale say's it was in 2007.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i ordered the baker built air wings from don baker @ baker built, i paid through paypal and received the wings yesterday. now today i get a upsetting e mail from don about a bill from 2007 saying he never received the 200 i said i would pay him. has anyone else who has dealt with him received a e mail saying you owe him money. i am thinking his e mail might of been hacked because i always pay for a service or product. i wrote back to him and i am waiting for a reply. it has to be a mistake being the sale say's it was in 2007.
    Sounds like spam. Expand the header & see where it came from. Make sure your machine doesn't have malware on it.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would call him directly and ask him about it. If his site has been hacked, he'd want to know.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

i tried calling today and they are off for the weekend. i responded to the e mail and asked for him to explain it to me. the e mail came from paypal with his name and a transaction number but i can't find the transaction i will call monday
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Strange e-mail

Shortly after I made a purchase on E-Bay that I paid with PayPal, I got several e-mails trying to get me to responde to what was supposed to be a quetionable purchase. When I previewed the email, My mail program allows me to preview without opening, I noticed spelling errors and forwarded them to spoof@paypal.com.

The crooks are out there and they are always seeking the less than careful. Can't tell you how many emails I've gotten offering me millions if I would just send responde to their offer by opening the attached form.

A request for payment on a purchase that was supposed to take place 7 years ago sounds like a phishing scam.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

I haven't had any problems with eBay, but haven't used it in a while and did change my password after the hack.

I did order something from one of the vendors here that uses Paypal and got a call from the card place a couple of days later due to lots of fraudulent activity. The fraud started the same day I used PayPal... I'm not convinced that PayPal didn't get hacked right along with eBay.

I'm gonna try it again as I still have stuff to order, but will use a card that we haven't used in months so that will be the only thing on it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

i tried calling today and they are off for the weekend. i responded to the e mail and asked for him to explain it to me. the e mail came from paypal with his name and a transaction number but i can't find the transaction i will call monday
    Don't wait and not do something. Here's a list of actions/questions.

Does the sender's email address and/or the reply to address show PayPal? If so, that means nothing. Those addresses are easily spoofed, and always are by scammers. You really should not have replied. That simply confirms to the sender they made a good hit.

Expand the header for the email. You will see several entries for "Received from" followed by "For." This gives the trail where the message came from. If any of them look suspicious, then the email was most likely a phishing email.

Do you have the same password for PayPal and eBay, or have it set so eBay can automatically connect to your PayPal account? If so change your PayPal password NOW! Remember on the news a week or two ago about eBay accounts being hacked? You may be one of the unlucky ones. If you can't access your PP account with your current password get on the phone with them or eBay. Your account has been hacked.

I really doubt BakerBuilt website has been hacked. More likely your email was harvested from the computer of some individual with whom you have corresponded. Personal PCs are thousands of times more likely to give up your address than is any business computer. People are derelict in keeping internet security up to date on their personal PCs.

Do you use a credit card or direct bank withdrawal to make your PayPal payments? If a credit card then your CC may have been compromised. It happened to my Amex account last December.

IMO, since you replied, the email purportedly came from PayPal coupled with the use of the Baker Built name for a seller who you just did business with, and the fact that eBay was hacked recently, you are at VERY HIGH RISK of having your PayPal account hacked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    I'm not convinced that PayPal didn't get hacked right along with eBay.
    Ebay tries very hard to get you to set things up so that your PayPal account can be accessed directly from eBay, by eBay. If you have allowed the automatic connection, or have used the same password for PayPal as for eBay, then absolutely, your PayPal account will be hacked, no question about it.

My eBay account got hacked years ago. The only thing that kept my PayPal account safe was a different password, and no automatic connection.

The really paranoid and/or cautious folks have established a separate bank account just for PayPal with a low balance. If their PayPal account gets hacked they lose very little money. I always change the payment method to a credit card when I use PayPal. PP won't let me set a CC as the default payment source so I have to change it every time.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 05-31-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you owed a 7 year past due bill, you would have heard about it a lot sooner than this.

A bill such as this would have been written off within a year. $200 is not enough of a material amount to even try and collect 7 years later.

This sounds like scam, scam, scam to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Responding to the email, will only go to the scammers email.. You need to go to their website and contact them through there or better yet call them. I have had many suspect emails supposing from paypal, I delete them as nobody emails you about money owed, besides the original bill. JMHO.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Very fishy..!!

Considering most vendors don't send product without payment. I would let him know (as you did) and wait for his response. Ebay has had some problems lately this could be part of their problems...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John, did you contact them about the e-mail?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    John, did you contact them about the e-mail?
    yes but no answer
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME