Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Again

So, I've got the Mel's Monster Garage windshield - the high touring one - but kinda skinny. Head wind blast is OK but I'm getting the stuffing beat out of me from the sides. Actually getting whipped back and forth - head looks like one of those bobble dolls.

What windshield has the height like Mel's but also takes care of the sides ( 54 - 56 " chest ) and without lookin like I'm riding down the road in the "cone of silence" from Get Smart ?

Bottomline - What's max height , max width and still looks GOOOOOOOD toolin' down the road ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

BRP is supposed to be developing a new "Tour" version. May be worth waiting to see what they have in mind. The most effective ones are too tall for my taste and the ones that look good on the Spyder, don't seem to work too well based on most posts here.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Industries 7 will have an adjustable (both height and rake angle) screen out in a few weeks. See http://spyderryders.net.au/products.html#windscreens

Spyder Garage

I saw a picture that my dealer took of the new one that BRP is coming out with. Looks very nice. I think I saw a few spyders at homecoming with this same shield from some canadian spyder owners.

I will try to get a copy of the picture and post it here.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Final CalSci windshield comments. Although I had a couple of initial issues they have all since been resolved by Mark. Windshield is on and I am happy. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I've had the pleasure of trying almost every popular screen made for the spyder with exception of the adjustable units.

I've riden Spyder's with F1, Evo II, EVO III, Mels and the CalSci.

Hands down, the CalSci worked the best and looks the best in my opinion.

Ask me which one I have on my Spyder.
    The laser-cut precision of the CalSci gives an amazing fit and the holes are perfect. I did round the edges a bit with my dremel for a 'softer' edge, but might add some edge moulding anyway.

The adjustable units look interesting, especially the Industries 7 unit - but fortunatly my height doesn't change that often.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

booglasti,

Where in MI are you, what size Calsci do you have and did you adjust your clutch lever or just deal with the full lock hit?

Spyder Garage

I'm south of Marshall - how about yourself?

Yes, I did adjust the clutch slightly - still a bit tight - but really not that big of a deal as I rarely turn that sharp.

I may put that aftermarket clutch lever on - waiting for them to do a carbon fiber one -

Also- I may add the Helibars unit - after I see them-
    Last edited by boogllasti; 09-11-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm in Jackson, so we are not far apart. You did not indicate what size Calsci you have.

Spyder Garage

I got the XL sized CalSci shield - figured just better to go big.

I don't keep it on all the time because I like the look of the BRP touring - but the Calsci look is growing on me.

Maybe the carbon fiber wrap would be a good option - not sure how much they are.

I ride to Jackson here and there - we'll have to hook up sometime and look at each others mods!

I've done tons to mine.

CalSci Shield, Race Airflow, O2 Mod, Fuel Pressure Mod, Backlight kit, HID kit, Talon Alarm, Grips, Zumo GPS, Carbon Fiber intake vents (soon), various bags, etc.

Can't remember them all to be honest. Guess I should take an inventory sometime!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do you notice either a back pressure or a feeling of a vacuum in front of you with the CalSci windshield? I noticed both at highway speeds with the Evo III which I had the opportunity to test drive this past weekend.

Spyder Garage

For the people with the CalSci shield.....Is anyone 6'3" or taller? Did it work for you with the XL version?

I am getting ready to get another windshield from marcel too try....but the first one was way too tall and I had to look through it. The 2nd one wasn't tall enough and my head became a bobble head. This one hopefully will work or I will be looking at the other companies.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Did you try taking your EVO II and cutting it down yourself SpyderDude? I cut about 3 or 4 inches off the top of mine and it still pushed the air about 6 inches over my head. Now it is at about chin or mouth level for me so I don't look through the windshield at all unless I want to "hunker down" on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    For the people with the CalSci shield.....Is anyone 6'3" or taller? Did it work for you with the XL version?

I am getting ready to get another windshield from marcel too try....but the first one was way too tall and I had to look through it. The 2nd one wasn't tall enough and my head became a bobble head. This one hopefully will work or I will be looking at the other companies.

My gut feeling is that the CalSci won't work for you if you are 6'3". I'm 5'8" and got the XL - and it works GREAT - no bobble and not very much backpressure.

I doubt the F1 or Evo will work for that height either. I wasn't impressed with those units.

I think at that height your best choice right now will be Ind 7 adjustable unit - but I have not tried one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boogllasti View Post
    I doubt the F1 or Evo will work for that height either. I wasn't impressed with those units.
    I am 6'4" and the EVO II works great for keeping the wind off of me, even after I cut 3" off of it.

Spyder Garage

Interesting. Does your head get bounced around a lot?

Considering they are all different, maybe you got one different enough to work or did some of the adjustments to make it work.

For my money, the guys at CalSci really did their homework.

I'd still like to try that Chad unit from IND 7 - just for kicks.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about you but I wouldn't call a windshield great if it bounced my head around a lot. Like I said a few posts earlier, with my EVO II cut down 3", the air was still flowing about 6" OVER my head. I can understand that, for various reasons, Marcel's windshields are not for everyone but the EVO II works great for me. The F1 did not work for me but it works for shorter riders. My wife, at 5'6", had one that worked good for her. She upgraded to the EVO III and she just loves that windshield, no head bouncing. I have one of Marcel's adjustable windshields on the way I would really like it to be my perfect everyday windshield that is short enough for good looks and low speed riding comfort and can be adjusted tall enough for a nice quiet and smooth expressway ride.
    Last edited by bjt; 09-12-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Marcel took my money

I have one of Marcel's adjustable windshields on the way I would really like it to be my perfect everyday windshield that is short enough for good looks and low speed riding comfort and can be adjusted tall enough for a nice quiet and smooth expressway ride.[/quote]

Marcel I think have screwed me up big time. He initially quoted me a price of $260 for the adjustable windshield ( after discount ) but took an extra $118 from my acct.

I have sent him 2 emails over the last 7 days and he has not returned my emails or answered my calls.

I am not too worried about the money but am getting antsy at his antics.
    I ordered the windshield about 4 weeks ago the money was taken out but no other news from him.

Go figure.

Spyder Garage

I just put a Cee Bailey on mine. I got the 21" unit, I'm 5'7" and I wish I would got the 22'. Cut outs for bars a little large. Finish is great and at $159 its is so much better than the high brp. I also us a bailey on my 07 fjr.
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to try what worked for me to get rid of strong wind buffeting.

Background:
    My Yamaha FZ1 (new model at the time) brought with it the inevitable windshield quest for many riders. I don't think anyone succeeded in getting the perfect windshield - always a compromise.

After reading hundreds of post and purchasing 5 windshields in my failing quest, I came up with an approach that worked for me and some others purely by accident.

I removed the rabbit ear mirrors and liked the more streamlined look of the bike, so I bought and installed bar end mirrors. First ride I noticed something was different - WOW! I was no longer a Bobble Head, well some people may think I am still a bobble head but that is another story.

I now prefer to ride with a shorter windshield that let's the wind hit me but have minor wind buffeting at higher speeds.

I plan to order or buy a Spyder during this winter or early next year and I'll definitely remove the mirrors and do a quick test ride to see the effect.

Spyder Garage

Well - removing the Spyder mirrors is going to cause many problems.

They are also the front blinkers.

Mounting mirrors onto the bar ends really won't work well on the Spyder as you are really turning the bar much more than on a typical bike.

Nice idea, just don't think it will work here though.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am 6'4" and am trying to find the best windshield for me. Read posts from the 9-12 era and wondered if anything new has come up since then for the taller riders. I have always looked just over a windshield before but got a lot of wind still on my Goldwing. Any suggestions about the cal-sci 25". I'm guessing that's the xl model you said might not work for someone my height. thanks.

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'4" tall and I've tried 7 different windshields since I've owned my Spyder. The first two, the BRP stock and the BRP Touring windshields performed very similarly, no wind protection at higher speeds.

My wife had an F1 (23") and has the Evo III (26") and neither one was tall enough for me. They kept the wind off my chest but concentrated a lot of the deflected wind at the base of my helmet, greatly increasing wind noise and giving me the bobble head feeling that many have described.

I had an Evo II (30") windshield that worked the best for keeping the wind off of me and greatly quieted the high speed ride as the wind was being deflected well over the top of my helmet. The downfalls of that windshield were that it was so huge that it looked goofy on the Spyder and I had to look through the top of the windshield while riding. I cut about 3" off the top and it still performed great without me having to look through the windshield. However, it still looked too big and goofy. I was removing the Evo II for all my riding except for long highway rides and after about 6 times of reinstalling it, it developed cracks around two of the screw holes and one of the holes cracked all the way through.

I got an Evo III slider that turned out to be too short for me. Even with the slider fully extended, I still got a lot of wind on the top 1/3 of my helmet which caused a lot of wind noise and head buffeting. Marcel made a tall version (about 3" taller) of the Evo III slider that I have now and I like it. Fully extended, it puts the wind right at the very top of my helmet. I don't get the head buffeting but I still have some wind noise. Its not as protective of the Evo II I had but it looks 100 times nicer on the Spyder and it works well. I keep it installed on my Spyder all the time.

Unfortunately, the only way you can know what will work for you is to test ride the different windshields. You'll find ride reports vary on all the different windshields, what works great for one person is horrible for someone else.
    Last edited by bjt; 11-13-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I am 6'4" and the EVO II works great for keeping the wind off of me, even after I cut 3" off of it.
    What did you use to cut it with? As plastic chips and cracks real easy when cutting it.

I think I will be looking into the Industries 7 C.H.A.D

I have the EVO III right now and I do get too much Bobble Head effect.
    Last edited by Putt-Putt; 11-13-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
    What did you use to cut it with? As plastic chips and cracks real easy when cutting it.
    Fine toothed metal cutting blade in a bandsaw. No chips or cracks while cutting. None have developed on the cut edge over time either. Too bad I can't say the same about the mounting holes.