Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT safety - I'm Impressive!!

Last Thursday I hit a deer in Co. going at least 60 mph. The only reason I am writing this tonight is because of the safety features in the Spyder, I believe! When the deer hit me it rolled over the front and off my helmet and rt. shoulder into the ditch. The engine shut off on impact and the suspension must have kicked in to keep me from rolling. I had plastic a football field length from impact to we're the Spyder stopped. I was wearing full leathers. I walked away with skin torn on my rt. arm, a sm. bone in rt. wrist broken and a slight concussion. I realize I'm very fortunate but feel even more assured it is one of the safest ride on the road, plus the most fun! Going for a couple of deer whistles to decorate my new, newer one!
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oh my God Glad to hear your ok (mostly) and hope you're back on the road quickly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Glad it was not more serious! Have hit three with a car, but none so far with the Spyder! Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Terry L View Post
    Last Thursday I hit a deer in Co. going at least 60 mph. The only reason I am writing this tonight is because of the safety features in the Spyder, I believe! When the deer hit me it rolled over the front and off my helmet and rt. shoulder into the ditch. The engine shut off on impact and the suspension must have kicked in to keep me from rolling. I had plastic a football field length from impact to we're the Spyder stopped. I was wearing full leathers. I walked away with skin torn on my rt. arm, a sm. bone in rt. wrist broken and a slight concussion. I realize I'm very fortunate but feel even more assured it is one of the safest ride on the road, plus the most fun! Going for a couple of deer whistles to decorate my new, newer one!
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    GLAD YR OK!!!

Spyder Garage

So glad to hear that you are okay with only minor injuries. Could of been a lot worse !!!

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Wow. Those deer can be upon you in an instant. Glad you're mostly OK.

Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok.

BTW, deer whistles don't work...

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So happy to hear that you are okay
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Glad your OK , The Spyder is the Safest bike on the road, I hit a pothole going 70 and ,Blew the left tire , and was able to hold it last year, Again I'm Glad your O.K.

Midnightbreeze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

God wink! Glad your fine

Spyder Garage

Default Deer Whistle ,

Quote Originally Posted by midnightbreeze50 View Post
    Glad your OK , The Spyder is the Safest bike on the road, I hit a pothole going 70 and ,Blew the left tire , and was able to hold it last year, Again I'm Glad your O.K.

Midnightbreeze

Has anyone herd of a pothole Detector , I need 1 here in GA, LOL

Midnightbreeze, Just havin FUN!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Such great news

image.jpgimage.jpg
    first that your injuries are minimal and second that the Spyder performed so well. Check with Reggy Tan owner of TricLEDS..he showed me some remote operated deer whistles...not just the air activated that are questionable if they really work. Certainly worth checking out. I live in high deer population country. TricLEDS is a SLovers sponsor.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you'll be ok. Looks like quite a bit of damage there. Have to agree that the Spyder is the one to be on when a deer is hit.
    Looks like you got hit approx. the same place I got hit, 4 yrs. ago. He hit me in the left hand, and knocked my thumb out of joint. Since I was on my GS manual shift, took me 1/4 mile to get it stopped. Had to pull clutch in with what I thought was a broken hand. ....$3000. damage.
    Keep us informed on how well the insurance and dealer work with you. Wishing the best for you. Take care.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!

Thankful to God you are o.k.!
    -iSpyder
    2014 Spyder RTS - Cognac

2012 Spyder RTS - Blue (17,700 miles)

Current Mods:
    BRP Backrest

ISCI Hand Brake w/ cup holder

ISCI center screw RAM mount w/ universal holder

ISCI driver and passenger floorboards

FZ-1 fuse block

Powerlet 12-volt socket installed in front speaker grill

Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn

Hopnel dash bags and saddle bag nets

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

saw your post on FB but still gotta say good thing you were on a roadster. Heal well and be safe out there..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Glad to see your able to post this. To a speedy recovery for both you and your Spyder.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default GRACE

and full leathers! glad you're ok! was it a buck or a doe?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Terry L;817366]Last Thursday I hit a deer in Co. going at least 60 mph. The only reason I am writing this tonight is because of the safety features in the Spyder, I believe! When the deer hit me it rolled over the front and off my helmet and rt. shoulder into the ditch. The engine shut off on impact and the suspension must have kicked in to keep me from rolling. I had plastic a football field length from impact to we're the Spyder stopped. I was wearing full leathers. I walked away with skin torn on my rt. arm, a sm. bone in rt. wrist broken and a slight concussion. I realize I'm very fortunate but feel even more assured it is one of the safest ride on the road, plus the most fun! Going for a couple of deer whistles to decorate my new, newer one!
    image.jpgimage.jpg[/QUOTE

]glad you are ok. What time of day was it, and do deer whistles work?

ron

Spyder Garage

It was a buck, knocked the horns off. Not sure where they went..

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It was a buck, knocked the horns off. Not sure where they went..
    Horns? Up in the northern Rockies the deer have antlers! Horns are what you see on cattle!!
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like an awful lot of busted Tupperware...
    Were any of the mechanical systems compromised?
    How about the frame of the bike?

Glad that you came out the other side of that critter is decent shape!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Grateful you're doing alright.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

First, good to hear you are relatively unscathed, and insurance takes care of the rest .

Oke...this is what is really gotten me off of two wheels on the street. I'm not worried about deer in the woods, I'm making too much noise on my KTM for them.

August of 2012 I hit a deer, about the same speed (55-60) with a 08 Kawi Concours. Hit deer and while trying to avoid, caught big divot in edge of asphalt (country roads), with front wheel, bike flipped, we flew through the air and bike landed on me. Crushed the collarbone, lots of ribs broken, knee and hip messed up, back is permanently screwed.

Bought a new Concours while I was still awaiting surgery to get a plate put in the collarbone. My usual 15 - 20k yearly motorcycle street mileage is now a grand total of 8800 for about 18 months.

I am so glad to hear my decision to get a is the right one. I've hit 3 deer in the last 4 years, 2 with motorcycles, and literally dozens of near misses. Looking at the damage and the report of your injuries, you could have done worse in a small car.

As to deer whistles, I spent the bucks after that last wreck on an 'active' electronic deer whistle. Can't say if it is effective, I've had close calls since then, but it has the added feature of alerting pedestrians since it sounds like an annoying siren. It does appear to get a deer's attention, but you never know which way one of those critters will leap. I'll be putting that doo-dad on the spyder though as soon as I get it home Sunday.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Horns? Up in the northern Rockies the deer have antlers! Horns are what you see on cattle!!
    Heh...around here we get flat tires from shed. Little bucks dropping them spiky antler bits right in the road, will equalize the tire pressure outside air pressure in nothing flat (pun intended).
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Glad you're ok.

BTW, deer whistles don't work...

Also, Glad your OK.

I've had a few close calls, and got Deer whistles. I complained to a friend that I still keep seeing deer, and he said the deer whistles are working. They are designed to confuse the deer to "keep them where they are" and not to be running in front of you. So far, so good.

PS - don't use the sticky pad from the deer whistle package, they will vibrate off. Use Crazy Glue and apply them for good. I put them on the inside of the wheel cover (they look OK, and don't stick out).