Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel pump replaced and noise has gone!

Quote Originally Posted by rf5 View Post
    My dealer has just ordered a replacement pump for my RT-S MY 2014 . When dealer called the BRP Tech guys here in Brazil, they did not make any question and promptly approved the warranty. This shows that it is a known issue by BRP and for those who are complying, they are replacing the pump.
    The fuel pump module was replaced in my 2014 RT-S by the dealer under warranty and the noise has gone!!! . BRP in Brazil has already recognized that some units have a faulty pump and may be replaced in any dealer at no charge.
    So, for those who believes the loud noise is normal , good luck... Someday the Spyder may stop suddenly in the middle of road...

Happy New Year!

Spyder Garage

Default Comments after fuel pump replacement

The fuel pump module was replaced in my 2014 RT-S by the dealer under warranty and the noise has gone!!! . BRP in Brazil has already recognized that some units have a faulty pump and may be replaced in any dealer at no charge.
    So, for those who believes the loud noise is normal , good luck... Someday the Spyder may stop suddenly in the middle of road...

Happy New Year!
    I would like to share some important changes I have noticed after the fuel pump replacement, besides of the silence:

• fuel line pressurization is faster;
    • startup screen is also coming faster;
    • engine startup is easier;
    • fuel mileage has improved about 1 km/liter (13.5 to 14.5 km/l);
    • acceleration is clearly better than before.

For me it was easy to compare before/after fuel pump replacement, as I did not ride any other RT-S 1330 before I purchased mine. So, I suspect the faulty pump was delivering less fuel than needed and this was causing a poor performandce and could cause some engine damage over the time.
    Last edited by rf5; 01-05-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

The only thing you're suppose to ear is a really quiet ''wisss'' when you turn the key on and then it almost stops .
    If it is a winning or high pitch ZZZZ sound when the key is on, and you can ear it even when the engine run, this meens the pump is going away... the dealer have to change it, no argument .
    In my case , I could ear the wizzz and winning sound even when the engine was running , that's when I've decided to go at my dealer to have it check and he told me that I was lucky it didn't quit on me !!!!
    Anyway, if you are not sure...have it check at your dealer ...it's their job.

Spyder Garage

BRP authorized my dealer to replace the fuel pump due to noise issue. OMG! The sweet sound of silence. It even appears to run smoother and everything rf5 said in his post. I'm sooo happy. Thank you Malcolm Smith Motorsports and BRP Customer Support.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 02-07-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    BRP authirized my dealer to replace the fuel pump due to noise issue. OMG! The sweet sound of silence. It even appears to run smoother and everything rf5 said in his post. I'm sooo happy. Thank you Malcolm Smith Motorsports and BRP Customer Support.
    For those of you who have had the pumps replaced on your 2014, can you post the production month please?

Thanks.
    Last edited by HIspyder; 02-07-2015 at 07:00 AM.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

Mine makes this same sound. Time to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The only "Whine" that I hear ... Comes from the back seat!
    Dangerous ground I would not go there

Spyder Garage

Had mine replaced last week, fixed my issue. Dealer said it sounded fine, I pushed for a case with BRP got it with ease. Got new pump, installed and no more whine.

Spyder Garage

Try a Harley, it does EXACTLY the same thing.

Sorry to disagree with the crowd but since the advent of fuel injection etc. sounds NORMAL to me!

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    Mine makes this same sound. Time to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    I can not hear my fuel pump at all
    The only sound I hear is the engine running
    same on my 2014 RT...

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Beside Bob I have seen you sitting..dejected.. on a flat bed before so you are experienced. Thanks for being a test pilot..again

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post

Sorry to disagree with the crowd but since the advent of fuel injection etc. sounds NORMAL to me!

AJ
    No, the harley buzzing on the new bikes is a rattle from the regulator, only happens when the switch is first turned on (not while running), and generally only when cold out.
    Also, mention it to the dealer and they will swap it out under warranty. Takes about 15 min to do.
    Been there, done that.....lol.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If anyone asks me what that whining sound is, I just tell them it's the turbocharger. If they don't believe me, I'll point to the 200mph on the speedometer and say, "That number is there for a reason."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Beside Bob I have seen you sitting..dejected.. on a flat bed before so you are experienced. Thanks for being a test pilot..again
    True... but that was the 2010...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine started making the same noise as when I turn the power on - all the time! Tech agreed it's the fuel pump & it's in being replaced right now. Will let you know if that alleviates the problems. It drives me crazy!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

AJ
    My husband's Harley does NOT make this noise!

Spyder Garage

Default Another Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Cheribrun View Post
    My husband's Harley does NOT make this noise!

My friends F/I Harley does not make that noise.

We should be glad that the fuel pump is fairly easy to change----unlike most modern autos----where the pump is IN the fuel tank. What a fun job that would be.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

AJ
    How could u hear the whining with those damn loud harley pipes...lol

Spyder Garage

Default Noisy fuel pumps

Are any 2015's having the noisy pump?
    My 2014 does and dealer says BRP won't do anything saying they are not defective, just noisy.

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

I would be willing to bet that BRP never included a noise spec when they put the fuel pump out for bids. Sometimes it's convenient to be hard of hearing. JMO
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default fuel pump replacement

I had my fuel pump replaced - under warranty - last week. What a difference! It is quieter when first powering up and I can't hear it at all when riding. If you're still under warranty, & your pump is noisy, I suggest you ask your dealer/mechanic to replace it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Damn! I've just traded up from a 2013 LTD to a '14 RT-S because I love the new power train, and hated the stalling and clutch rattle on the old bike. Now I have a fuel pump that sounds like a jet engine to look forward to? BTW, the dealer said of my earlier issues "They all do that". As I've said before, would you accept that on a 30K car?
    INSIST your dealer replace it! They don't all do it & they're NOT supposed to!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I would be willing to bet that BRP never included a noise spec when they put the fuel pump out for bids. Sometimes it's convenient to be hard of hearing. JMO
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS whine

OK, just came back to this thread. Traded a 2012 RT for the 14 RTS last July. Love everything about the 14 except for the whine noise. On mine, it comes and goes; some days / rides the noise is prevalant even at highway speed. Other times, the ride is sooo quiet. I had come to the conclusion it was the fuel pump. Some times, after start up, while idling, you can hear the pump whine. Other times you cannot. Just like to intermittent noise while riding.

I've had the bike to 2 dealers ast summer / fall; Atlanta and Denver, and they both have told me that it's operating as it should. Neither would acknolwledge that they can hear anything.

This thread is vadation that if not crazy and I'll bring up again. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    For those of you who have had the pumps replaced on your 2014, can you post the production month please?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    My friends F/I Harley does not make that noise.

We should be glad that the fuel pump is fairly easy to change----unlike most modern autos----where the pump is IN the fuel tank. What a fun job that would be.
    Kaos
    Add me to the list of replaced fuel pumps -- now enjoying the sound of silence. When the bike is "booting up" and the gauges are doing their sweep, I can barely hear anything. Before it was very loud and obnoxious. Embarrassing as well as discomforting. I had brought it to the dealer's attention when I took delivery of the bike a little over a month ago. After a quick four thousand miles, I told them the pump had to go. Dealer and BRP had no qualms about replacing it. Except that the first one BRP sent was damaged and they priority shipped a second one.

My 2014 was built in April 2014. "Easy" is a relative term. The fuel pump is "in" the top of the tank but removable. The flat rate shows 3.0 hours for this job so BRP considers it pretty extensive -- look at what all they expect from the 2013 heat recall in only 3.6 hours. The official procedure is to completely remove the tank which takes some effort and pumping out all the fuel as well. My tech fortunately said you can get the pump out without totally removing the tank but you do have to slide it over to the right as far as you can. Even with that, he admitted it was a pretty big job.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces