Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I start mine by turning on the key, wait for the display to wake up, then flip the run/stop button down and yell "CONTACT". It gives the fuel pump noise some meaniing....saw that in a movie once...but I think it was a plane they were starting up. Anyway sounds like they all do it. I would rather it make some noise than not and have to walk home. Nature of the beast...

Spyder Garage

Ours turned from a flop-flop-flop to a whine just like the APU of the commercial jet planes at about 450 miles!
    So is the dealer or BRP going to say its normal on all the 2014 RTs?
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Ours turned from a flop-flop-flop to a whine just like the APU of the commercial jet planes at about 450 miles!
    So is the dealer or BRP going to say its normal on all the 2014 RTs?
    Yep, pretty much. They told my dealer to only replace my fuel pump if it was more noisy than other 14s they have or have serviced. Dealer said mine is about the same as all the ones they have checked out. Just hoping it doesn't decide to crap out on me when I'm on a long trip. Supposedly the fuel pumps are not faulty, just noisy.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like BRP got a bad batch of fuel pumps, are going to wait it out, roll the dice, and hope they don't crap out.....

I think we all have owned a good amount of vehicles with electric fuel pumps. There is nothing special or unusual about the one in the spyder. Sorry guys, but IMHO a noisy pump is a faulty pump.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sure makes you wonder what is going on with it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Metal to metal contact within the pump is not a good thing. Possible Shavings?

Spyder Garage

Default Come on guys.

I am thinking that the ST for 2015 may have the 1330 engine. So I am counting you lab rats to have the problems solved before I go out and buy one. This problem seems to be taking a long time to get fixed so hurry up.
    Last edited by billybovine; 07-24-2014 at 07:38 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Is the 1330 pump different from those used in pre-14's? Those didn't whine and go wah-wah-wah when cruising! Haven't heard yet of any failures so it may just be something we have to live with!

Edited: Checked the fiche for '10-'14 fuel pump and they all "look" the same and all are priced the same ($460.99) but the part number for the '14 is different: 709000088 (10-13) and 709000090 for '14.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 07-25-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I'm at almost 6K miles on my RT-S. The fuel pump always made a smooth start up sound, and was sometimes noticed when pulling up to a stoplight. However, a couple hundred miles ago the startup noise is very rough. Also, the noise is now noticeable while cruising at lower RPMs. I am wondering if there is going to be a longevity issue with the pump. I'm going to keep a well trained ear on it to see if it gets worse over time. If it gets worse than it is now, then I'll be taking the RT-S to see if they will replace it. I'm hoping that BRP won't require a full failure before they replace it; otherwise that will be much more troublesome and expensive.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

Had the fuel pump replaced on my 2014 RT Ltd last week. I have 4000 miles on it, and the pump was getting louder and louder for the last 2000 miles. It seemed to run OK, but the noise was certainly noticeable. The replacement pump makes no noticeable noise.

The dealer replaced the pump under warranty. Took about 4 hours. .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimFoy View Post
    Had the fuel pump replaced on my 2014 RT Ltd last week. I have 4000 miles on it, and the pump was getting louder and louder for the last 2000 miles. It seemed to run OK, but the noise was certainly noticeable. The replacement pump makes no noticeable noise.

The dealer replaced the pump under warranty. Took about 4 hours. .
    Geez, I really like your dealer. Most dealers just say "they all make that noise" and that's the end of it.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

I had the CB system replaced last week. I rode it for the first time since then and now the AM/FM radio cuts in and out. I drove to the dealer and believe it or not, it cuts in and out in front of the service advisor. I made an appointment for next week to drop it off. I also asked what that loud noise was and he said it's the fuel pump, they all make that noise. He said they will replace it it quits working.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default Is it possible to insulate that pump?

I know its mostly inside the gas tank, and that's about all I know, but is it something that perhaps could be muffled with some sort of insulation? What tupprware has to be pulled to get at it...the two top side panels?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Geez, I really like your dealer. Most dealers just say "they all make that noise" and that's the end of it.
    My dealer is Louis PowerSports in Greenville, Texas. They do a great job both on sales and service.

The BRP tech guy at the Durango Owners Event listened to my bike and said it was the fuel pump and that it needed to be replaced. I passed that info on to Danny, the service manager at Louis, and he did the replacement with no problem.

It might be my imagination, but it seems like my 2014 RTLtd has a little more power since the fuel pump was replaced.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just found this thread while searching about noisy fuel pumps.

I've had my Spyder RT-S for a couple of weeks now. My fuel pump started to get noisy at about 600 mi. Seems quiet when first started, but gets noisy after the bike is ridden for a while.

Contacted my dealer and set up a warranty check for next week. Got the usual "haven't heard of that before". Reminds me of my BMW dealer. LOL

I'll point out this thread to him.

This will be a good test of what kind of dealer I have. So far i'm not too impressed with the service writer…………….doesn't seem too interested in the problem.

Other than that I really like the bike. We've had both a Goldwing 1500 and 1800 trike. The Spyder is much more fun!

Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you can capture the sound of it...
    Bob, do notice any noise at all with yours? Sounds like something is going on with a batch of fuel pumps
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim T View Post
    Just found this thread while searching about noisy fuel pumps.

I've had my Spyder RT-S for a couple of weeks now. My fuel pump started to get noisy at about 600 mi. Seems quiet when first started, but gets noisy after the bike is ridden for a while.

Contacted my dealer and set up a warranty check for next week. Got the usual "haven't heard of that before". Reminds me of my BMW dealer. LOL

I'll point out this thread to him.

This will be a good test of what kind of dealer I have. So far i'm not too impressed with the service writer…………….doesn't seem too interested in the problem.

Other than that I really like the bike. We've had both a Goldwing 1500 and 1800 trike. The Spyder is much more fun!

Jim
    Do you use "Powersports"? Keep me posted, cause I'll be next in line.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Do you use "Powersports"? Keep me posted, cause I'll be next in line.
    I sure will. I'm scheduled for next Thursday.

Spyder Garage

My 14 is really noisy, but only sometimes. Mostly it's fine, but every now and then it gets real loud. It's been so intermittant I am unable to pin point a possible triggering event. So, I'll just wait and see.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

OK, it's Friday now.....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=rf5;908577]Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

Yes, it is a faulty fuel pump. It's a known issue. Your dealer will replace it for no charge.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=JimFoy;908780]
    Quote Originally Posted by rf5 View Post
    Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

Yes, it is a faulty fuel pump. It's a known issue. Your dealer will replace it for no charge.
    The problem is that I have seen in this forum that some owners have already replaced the fuel pump and the noise is still there... I believe there is a batch of faulty fuel pumps and there is a possibility to get a faulty replacement as well... I think I will wait a little bit until BRP officially recognizes the issue. Until there, I hope it doesn't stop in the middle of the road...

Spyder Garage

Damn! I've just traded up from a 2013 LTD to a '14 RT-S because I love the new power train, and hated the stalling and clutch rattle on the old bike. Now I have a fuel pump that sounds like a jet engine to look forward to? BTW, the dealer said of my earlier issues "They all do that". As I've said before, would you accept that on a 30K car?
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

My dealer has just ordered a replacement pump for my RT-S MY 2014 . When dealer called the BRP Tech guys here in Brazil, they did not make any question and promptly approved the warranty. This shows that it is a known issue by BRP and for those who are complying, they are replacing the pump.