Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket cruise control options for 2012 RSS?

Hey guys. Pulling the trigger on my first Spyder this week most likely! The RSS does not come stock with a cruise control like the touring models. I'd like to hear what you guys think of aftermarket options that can be mounted on an RSS.

How would it work and are there any good options available?

Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I do..!!

not a fan of cruise controls but there are some good ones out there. Depends on how much you want to spend. I found the the palm cruise to give me the rest when needed..20130108_113301.jpg Available at any bike shop for under $10.00. Could work for you till you decide for a better one if needed..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Kuryakyn sells one for the RS for about $69. I'm actually going to be picking this up for my 08 GS /RS. It's made for our Spyders and its just a lever. My bro has one from Kuryakyn on his Harley and it works great

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSpyder View Post
    Hey guys. Pulling the trigger on my first Spyder this week most likely! The RSS does not come stock with a cruise control like the touring models. I'd like to hear what you guys think of aftermarket options that can be mounted on an RSS.

How would it work and are there any good options available?

Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

You can get cruise on a 2013 RS. You would be much better off just buying a bike with cruise. The throttle locks aren't even close. I've now owned both.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    You can get cruise on a 2013 RS. You would be much better off just buying a bike with cruise. The throttle locks aren't even close. I've now owned both.
    I don't fully understand how they differ? How do these throttle locks work? I was anticipating spending hundreds on a legit, electronic, integrated aftermarket cruise control.

I don't mind spending the money if it works great and is what I'm looking for. Not looking for a cheap solution, although I very much appreciate the posts mentioning such options thus far.

Although I hear you on just getting a 2013...I am working on a killer deal on a 2012 and so that is not an option for me.

Chupaca...you said there are some good ones out there...any leads or links or where I can look? Any idea on what kind of price range we are talking about?

Thank you guys!

Spyder Garage

doc had one on his rs and it worked good he said.so send him a privet mesg and he will tell you what you can do ,now hes the doc with the turbo on his rs.theres a lot of docs on here but none like doc due.the locks only lock the throttle so you can rest your hand but will go faster dowen hill and slower up hill.

Spyder Garage

I don't fully understand how they differ? How do these throttle locks work? I was anticipating spending hundreds on a legit, electronic, integrated aftermarket cruise control.

I don't mind spending the money if it works great and is what I'm looking for. Not looking for a cheap solution, although I very much appreciate the posts mentioning such options thus far.

Although I hear you on just getting a 2013...I am working on a killer deal on a 2012 and so that is not an option for me.

Chupaca...you said there are some good ones out there...any leads or links or where I can look? Any idea on what kind of price range we are talking about?

Thank you guys!
    The ones mentioned so far are friction devices to hold the throttle in a position. Not anything tied to speed. Just throttle position. Audiovox makes one that's electronic and is operated off of vacuum. I looked into those a year ago and they look hokey. The factory cruise is tied into the stability system for added safety. Honestly, if u want cruise get the factory option. Reliable, safe and integrated.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There was an electronic version discussed on this forum that sells for about a grand. You would have to search for it as I don't remember the name.

Spyder Garage

Great posts guys, thanks.

Anyone ever heard of having a BRP factory cruise control installed by a dealer on a model that did not come with one stock?

Spyder Garage

I had a friend put the Ultracruise II 250-1316, on my wife 2011 RS and it works fine. He lives in Lakeland,FL
    Last edited by johnnyg; 05-27-2014 at 06:17 PM.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I think docDoru had an MCCruise that is mfd. in Australia. It used to retail for $1000.

Spyder Garage

I have never really been a fan of cruise either , UK is a bit small , I use the palm paddle thingy on the throttle though , love it .
    I discovered , by accident , if you fit after market bar ends and tighten up the throttle side a bit much it acts like a kind of cruise control , the throttle stays where you leave it .
    Sorry , I know this isn't what you were after , just thought I would mention it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I think docDoru had an MCCruise that is mfd. in Australia. It used to retail for $1000.
    This is the one I mentioned.

Spyder Garage

Default Kaoko

I just got the Kaoko throttle lock installed. I WOULD NOT recommend it. it does what it says, locks the throttle, so if you're in a bind good luck stopping in time with that thing on. I should have gone for the cheaper cramp buster like others have suggested for $10.
    2013 Silver RS SE5
    Mods: 23 in windshield, Zumo 660 and mount, 2go cup holder, BRP comfort seat, throttle lock, alignment, RS-ST handlebar swap
    2700 miles and loving every minute!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I really like the cruise-mate throttle lock. Easy install, super cheap compared to "real" cruise control, and gives your throttle hand a break whenever you need. The friction deal is spring loaded too, so if you get confused or goofed up or whatever you can still rotate the throttle back, no super tight lock. But still tight enough that vibration and bumps wont back it off.

http://mycruisemate.com/can-am-spyder.html

Before that I had the cramp buster, and that made a world of difference too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
    I had a friend put the Ultracruise II 250-1316, on my wife 2011 RS and it works fine. He lives in Lakeland,FL

I put the Rostra 250-1223 one on my wife's 2009 GS last year. Not that hard to do but it does require a little modification to get it to work. She loves it and uses it all the time. This is is an electronic cruise and not a vacuum model. If you have some mechanical skill or know someone who does then it is not a problem to do. If it a manual transmission then you will also need the clutch disengagement switch. Do a search on the site in the RS technical section and you will find the info needed. If you need some help then just PM me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great posts guys, thanks.

Anyone ever heard of having a BRP factory cruise control installed by a dealer on a model that did not come with one stock?
    I think everything that has cruise from the factory is throttle by wire, and everything that doesn't come with cruise is good old fashioned throttle cable controlled, making "dealer installed, as an option" not a possibility.
    I'm sure i'll be corrected if that's not right.

Spyder Garage

I've put several of the Audiovox electronic cruise on and they work quite well. The electronic ones don't use vacuum. It runs about $340 dollars on eBay shiped for a SE. It's about $390 for a SM. the extra cost on the SM is for the clutch switch. There are a couple of brackets to make.they now make a factory sealed flat control panel that is waterproof. If you get one of they're units make sure you get one with the magnetic pick up