Thread: Thank You J.T.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You J.T.

I've got some great news as I close out day three of my nine-day planned outing to North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and back to Georgia. As a reminder, this is my first outing of the year after getting the Spyder back together with mods and upgrades. One upgrade was J.T.'s breather mod. I've got enough miles to report the following:

1. Crotch heat is nearly non-existent. When moving, the air-flow is so good that the plastic around the glove box is cool. When stopped with the engine running the heat builds up quickly, so keep moving.
    2. Foot heat issues on the right side are improved. There is still heat coming out of the unblocked vents, but not as hot given the increased air flow over the engine.
    3. Noise is increased and I must say that I immediately thought about reverting to the air box/resonator without giving the breather a chance...but after the first two days of riding, it's not so bad. As a matter of fact, I like it and have learned through my driving habits how to limit the really loud occurrences, i.e. throttle, gearing, rpm.
    4. Finally, gas mileage is the bomb! Frequent acceleration hitting the twisties and high speed highway stretches caused me concern based on my experiences during my first year of driving with the stock set-up; however, after 813 miles I hit an average of 33.45 MPG. This is really good for me and my style of riding.

Thanks J.T. This kit is a keeper. ...Don

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

that does look like a sweet kit he puts out a lot of people have nothing but good things to say about it i am just waiting to see if i have heat problems

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

can't wait to get one installed

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When you say the "breather kit" are referring to the air filter that he sells or is there something else that I don't see on his website. I need help with heat on my 2013 RT-s

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The noise is my main concern. As it is now I can barely hear my radio when I'm doing 65+ MPH, and I have upgraded front speakers. If it gets any louder I think it would really make the ride less enjoyable.

The potential for less heat and added MPG does make this enticing though... Hmm, what to do, what to do...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Loudness..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    The noise is my main concern. As it is now I can barely hear my radio when I'm doing 65+ MPH, and I have upgraded front speakers. If it gets any louder I think it would really make the ride less enjoyable.

The potential for less heat and added MPG does make this enticing though... Hmm, what to do, what to do...
    The increased noise is mostly in the powering up senarios...cruising the noise is minimal. I guess you have to love the sound of an fine tuned machine..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default As you see it..!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlEverett View Post
    When you say the "breather kit" are referring to the air filter that he sells or is there something else that I don't see on his website. I need help with heat on my 2013 RT-s
    All the parts needed to mount the round air cleaner to the throttle bodies..here's a photo installed on my RS
    20140406_122724.jpg right side 20140406_122336.jpg left side..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The increased noise is mostly in the powering up senarios...cruising the noise is minimal. I guess you have to love the sound of an fine tuned machine..
    Hey Chupaca, have you tried the Kewl Metal air filter kit as well, or just the K & N replacement filter for the airbox? In either case, could you provide opinions on whichever one you had?

Thanks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I tried to edit my post above to add this, but it wouldn't let me, so here's another question:

I live in an area where sand in the air is part of life. I've been caught while driving in sandstorms, and I've come outside after a sandstorm and found what looked like buckets of sand thrown all over my Spyder. It takes hours to clean it both inside and out as there is sand in the engine compartment also. That being said, I've heard paper filters are notorious for letting sand in particular get into the engine. I imagine the K&N filter wouldn't be much better. So this leaves me wondering... what are my options? Would keeping my stock airbox and just buying a better filter be best, or should I risk it on the air filter mod?

...what to do indeed.
    Last edited by Dat Guy; 05-27-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

I tried to edit my post above to add this, but it wouldn't let me, so here's another question:

I live in an area where sand in the air is part of life. I've been caught while driving in sandstorms, and I've come outside after a sandstorm and found what looked like buckets of sand thrown all over my Spyder. It takes hours to clean it both inside and out as there is sand in the engine compartment also. That being said, I've heard paper filters are notorious for letting sand in particular get into the engine. I imagine the K&N filter wouldn't be much better. So this leaves me wondering... what are my options? Would keeping my stock airbox and just buying a better filter be best, or should I risk it on the air filter mod?

...what to do indeed.
    If you have heat issues at all, I would do the JT filter mod. And a double kill for you would be adding the K&N, it will help w the sand situation and I also hear it lowers that extra noise significantly. Best of both worlds.

Another option for the sand situation is adding a precleaner. I ordered one of these just to help the filter last a bit longer since it's hard to get to. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...?Prod=E-3530PY

Personally I love the sound the filter adds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AlEverett View Post
    Machined base, machine screws (bolts), filter, machined breather cap, and replacement hose.

Spyder Garage

Default Air Cleaner

...what to do indeed.
    We winter just south of you in Desert Center. Replaced the OEM system with JT air filter. Yes, sand is a never ending problem but with the JT system I get better cooling around engine. The OEM setup was very difficult to change the filter but very simple with JT's. Back in MN now and no sand. Took a 6xx plus ride last week to pick up a trailer and mileage was around 35 mpg down and 32 mpg back with the trailer and headwinds. Never a heat problem. Took off the tupperware and checked the filter. Tapped out some sand from this winter and washed everything down. I like the ability to get to everything on top of engine now.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

gnirtsnod how was the removal of the stock box how long did it take you ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    gnirtsnod how was the removal of the stock box how long did it take you ?
    It was a challenge to get everything out. The top of the air box was easy. Disconnect the hose connecting the air box and resonator then start working on getting the base of the air box out (had to make one small cut in a upward extending, albeit useless protrusion). We actually took off the frunk to get at the two bolts located at the front - six bolts, two screws, and about six harness connections. It was a lot easier than it sounds but don't do it alone. Loosen the two frame connector bolts on the left side and slide out the resonator. The frunk has a tab at the top to begin the hanging process for reassembly. One person under the frunk to support it and one on top making the connections and you are ready to reassemble. Good luck. ...Don

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    Thanks J.T. This kit is a keeper. ...Don
    Thanks Don, and for those of you waiting I expect to have them back in stock this week.

Thanks
    JT