Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS slight wobble

On my RTS, when I drive between 54-65, my bike has a slight wobble. The handlebars twitch side to side a tiny bit real fast. My windshield also dances very fast side to side. It is not a problem to keep the bike in a straight line, just kind of bothersome, and I think my windshield brackets are not going to last at this rate. I asked the dealer to check tire balance and that wasn't it. It goes away after you get above 65 or below about 53 MPH. It seems more noticeable on a real smooth road. I don't remember it doing this last fall either. Any ideas other than driving faster?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dslim View Post
    On my RTS, when I drive between 54-65, my bike has a slight wobble. The handlebars twitch side to side a tiny bit real fast. My windshield also dances very fast side to side. It is not a problem to keep the bike in a straight line, just kind of bothersome, and I think my windshield brackets are not going to last at this rate. I asked the dealer to check tire balance and that wasn't it. It goes away after you get above 65 or below about 53 MPH. It seems more noticeable on a real smooth road. I don't remember it doing this last fall either. Any ideas other than driving faster?
    did they check belt tension.. frequently vibration problems occur from too loose or too tight belt.. my 2010 RTS used to vibrate at 52 to54 mph
    regularly until adjusted.. your range does seem unusually wide.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Mine was caused by front tires Only difference was mine was 47-50 MPH. Several others have had the same thing, once I replaced the stock tires with others it went away and has not returned.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Wobble

You may have multiple events going on.

1. Tires with bad internal components
    2. Out of front end alignment
    3. Slightly worn ball joints (try wiggling them for being loose or worn)
    4. Unbalanced air pressure
    5. Bent slightly rim so that it is not running in a straight line

If you were me I would do the simple things one at a time an see if you find it. Alignment is expensive so is replacing worn ball joints.

my RTL does a dance at 42 MPH only when the ambient temperature is between 42 & 45 deg F and it is a true function of temperature of the tires. If I warm the tires up by zig-zagging them at low speeds before getting up to 45 MPH they won't do it. But if you park it and let them cool down and run up to 45 MPH you can recreate the wobble.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My 2013 RTS would vibrate around 55 to 60 MPH. I thought the windshield brackets were going to break. Took it back to the dealer. He replaced the front tires. Problem solved. Mine did this when I first bought it. I knew something was wrong. Good luck!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles do you have on the tires? They could be cupping and that would cause the wobble at that speed, or it could be your alignment too.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Potensa RE92

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    How many miles do you have on the tires? They could be cupping and that would cause the wobble at that speed, or it could be your alignment too.
    I have 3 thousand miles on it now. I'm just afraid I'm going to have a windshield in my lap!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    Mine was caused by front tires Only difference was mine was 47-50 MPH. Several others have had the same thing, once I replaced the stock tires with others it went away and has not returned.
    Mine was caused by an out of round tire. Tire replaced, problem went away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderdale View Post
    Mine was caused by an out of round tire. Tire replaced, problem went away.
    Just got back from the dealer today, he warrantied both front tires, problem solved!!