Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RT in crosswind

Spyder Garage

Default Front tire pressure

I know several others have said your tire pressure is about right. But I had similar issues with cross-winds on my '13. I lowered the front tires to 14.5 lbs and I noticed a drastic improvement when encountering cross-winds. For me, this helped.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderdale View Post
    Thanks everybody for your input, I will try many of your suggestions such as gripping more with my knees and trying to relax my grip more. I am aware of the white knuckle grip causing problems and thought I was past that but maybe not ? Never thought of the vented windshield helping, heck whats a few more dollars on top of the amount I already have invested in this thing. Not sure yet if the heat problem is fixed or not as have yet to ride in upper 80's and 90,s temps.
    Try lowering the windshield first before you spend the money on the vented one. I always ride with mine about 1" from the bottom and I don't mind the wind at all.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default RTS Se6

14 handles great.. If I don't relaxed my grip and shoulders I get beat up a little bit. is steady as a rock and Kansas has some very strong, continuous cross wind.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) BigLegMac's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default crosswind on 2014 RTS

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarPlayer View Post
    My 2013 RT-Ltd is stable in a cross-wind. The blows me around but the Spyder stays pretty steady. When we rode to Spyderfest a couple of weeks ago, we had a 25-30 mph cross-wind the entire 450 miles.

Tony
    I EXPERIENCED THE SAME THING GOING TO SPYDERFEST. THE WIND WAS SCARRY BUT THE SPYDER ALONG WITH MY TRAILER HELD FAST. I WAS BEING BLOWN AROUND BUT THE SPYDER WAS STEADY. EVEN MY BUDDY RIDING BEHIND ME ON HIS GOLDWING TRIKE WAS IMPRESSED. HE WAS BEING BLOWN AROUND. I jUST HAVE THE BAJARON SWAY BAR AND FACTORY SHOCKS. LOVED THE BIKES PERCORMANCE IN THE WIND.

Spyder Garage

Remember, you might feel the wind, but it absolutely will not tip the Spyder over.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wind buffeting

Quote Originally Posted by DLewis View Post
    Where are you in SC? Hope that the swaybar helps you to change your mind. I have one, and it made a world of difference!
    I live in Socastee- half way between Conway and MB on Hwy 544. Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterJeff View Post
    I know several others have said your tire pressure is about right. But I had similar issues with cross-winds on my '13. I lowered the front tires to 14.5 lbs and I noticed a drastic improvement when encountering cross-winds. For me, this helped.
    Thanks for the tip, I was thinking about going to 20 psi in front, just maybe I'm going the wrong way. I will try it.

Spyder Garage

Major crosswinds through Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma on way to Spyderfest. Rt handled it well. Even with Mini Trailer on behind. Main problem was oncoming trucks on two lane roads. Some cattle haulers would really bounce you around. But byke was very stable.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default cross winds

Quote Originally Posted by DLewis View Post
    Where are you in SC? Hope that the swaybar helps you to change your mind. I have one, and it made a world of difference!
    Hey I want to add my 2 cents worth, From day 1 of having my Spyder Rt SE5, I get in crosswinds , I get behind trucks to have the excitement of being blown around, I ride my Spyder like I stole it , I dont have the sway bars on it , or the shocks everyone is putting on , my advice to you is RELAX, and go with the flow, the spyder is the safest ride on the road , I ride with one hand most of the time , crank up some ZZ Top, and im groving Dude, most of all im having fun, its like im 16 in a 58 year old body, i havent rode in 4 years, when I started back on the spyder , I had a Goldwing and dropped it 5 or 6 times , now if i fall over its my Fault LOL, all I can tell you is to give it the gas and hang in there ,
    Midnightbreeze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by midnightbreeze50 View Post
    Hey I want to add my 2 cents worth, From day 1 of having my Spyder Rt SE5, I get in crosswinds , I get behind trucks to have the excitement of being blown around, I ride my Spyder like I stole it , I dont have the sway bars on it , or the shocks everyone is putting on , my advice to you is RELAX, and go with the flow, the spyder is the safest ride on the road , I ride with one hand most of the time , crank up some ZZ Top, and im groving Dude, most of all im having fun, its like im 16 in a 58 year old body, i havent rode in 4 years, when I started back on the spyder , I had a Goldwing and dropped it 5 or 6 times , now if i fall over its my Fault LOL, all I can tell you is to give it the gas and hang in there ,
    Midnightbreeze
    You dropped your wing five or six times? Were you stopped or moving? Five or six is a lot....
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Try lowering the windshield first before you spend the money on the vented one. I always ride with mine about 1" from the bottom and I don't mind the wind at all.
    I ordered the Honda Goldwing vent today, cost about $50.00. Some of you guys are saying the vented windshield really helps. Anyway it will only cost me $50.00 to find out. I dont have a problem cutting the hole and installing it as I have worked with a lot of lexan.

Spyder Garage

Default dropping my wing

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    You dropped your wing five or six times? Were you stopped or moving? Five or six is a lot....
    I was sitting still, one time with my wife on back , she feels safer on the spyder now, so do I , that wing was heavy, dont have to worry about that now, Gave it away, thing is Now the trouble I have is she wants to go everywhere when I crank it up, o well thats a good thing , We love our Spyder, only time Im not riding is when its raining, or Im a sleep, LOL

Midnightbreeze

Balance Problem

Spyder Garage

Default YIKES!

Reading some of these posts is making me feel uncomfortable about a 5000 mile west coast trip I am about to take in mid June. I've ridden 2 wheels through 40-50 mph sustained cross winds on my way to Glacier Nat'l. Park, with an occasional 60-70 mph gust........not fun. Actually, and the same weather all the up the mountain....ugh. I hope it is not worse on a Spyder. I only have ridden mine for 900 miles. It is a 2012, with now, 3300 miles.

Smile & be happy, don't take life too seriously….
    Life moves pretty fast. Don't miss it!
    2016 F3 Limited , Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wind and Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    Reading some of these posts is making me feel uncomfortable about a 5000 mile west coast trip I am about to take in mid June. I've ridden 2 wheels through 40-50 mph sustained cross winds on my way to Glacier Nat'l. Park, with an occasional 60-70 mph gust........not fun. Actually, and the same weather all the up the mountain....ugh. I hope it is not worse on a Spyder. I only have ridden mine for 900 miles. It is a 2012, with now, 3300 miles.
    Trust me ...having ridden over 150K on two wheels in the past and now with nearly 8K on the Spyder .... I can safely say it is MUCH BETTER on the Spyder. The key is to relax your grip just enough so that the wind buffeting that you receive does not get amplified and transferred to the Spyder. Yes, it is a bigger "target" for crosswinds than a true motorcycle. However, since the Spyder has a larger contact patch with three on the ground instead of two, the machine itself is more stable in wind than a two wheeler.

Best Regards .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __