Spyder Garage

Default Digital Compass and Temp Guage

Has any one replaced the fuel gauge after disconnecting it with a digital compass/thermometer? I saw an add for one that appears to fit in the hole but it requires 2" of depth. It is an expensive gauge (several hundreds of dollars) but it would be helpful used in conjunction with my Garmin and given that I can't read the outdoor temp on the bike screen.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your garmin should have a compass
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gauge replacements

After removing the fuel and temperature gauges on my 2010 RT I first replaced these gauges with an analog Volt and an Oil pressure gauge. Within a few months I switched these out for digital Voltage (left) and Ambient temperature gauges (Right). I spliced into the original "switched" gauge wiring, using Posi Taps, for power and ground and ran the temperature sensor down to the front air scoop to get the best readout for outside temperature.
    2013 04 10_0485_edited-1.jpg
    For the digital solution, rather than spending hundreds of dollars on waterproof gauges, I simply purchased standard 2" digital gauges (cost about $30.00 per gauge) and applied some clear silicone to the inner edge of the bezel to prevent water from penetrating the gauge. The silicone also acts as an adhesive. Finally, I added chrome bezels to the outside of the gauges for looks. If I remember correctly, I had to shave out a bit of plastic behind the gauges to allow for more clearance for the deeper gauges that I purchased.

I put on over 20K in all kinds of temperatures and heavy rain without an issue. These digital gauges were very easy to see in bright sunlight and gave a pleasing glow to the dash area at night. The LED displays are available in a variety of colors (red, blue, green etc....)

Note: I recommend placing the temperature sensor in an area that places it in direct contact to the outside air for best results. Simply locating the sensor beneath the tupperware will give you false readings because quite a great deal of engine heat is trapped beneath the plastic on your machine. Hence my location in the front air tunnels.

If you chose this method of sensor mounting I would also suggest that you add a quick connect/disconnect to the temperature sensor wiring so the front trunk can be removed when servicing without disturbing the connections to the gauge.

Complexity: "Easy" - Mounting gauges and tapping into wires on OEM Cluster
    "Medium" - Removing tupperware to run temperature sensor to the front air tunnels.

Caveat: There are many choices when it comes to gauges and I have seen other Spyderlovers mount high end gauges on their Spyders and they look very, very good. My "temporary" inexpensive solution did the job for me, and I never had the need to replace them with a permanent solution. Just lucky I guess.

Good luck on your project.

Spyder Garage

Nice job !

Where did you found your Gauges ?
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaffe View Post
    Nice job !

Where did you found your Gauges ?
    http://www.egauges.com/UltraGage-Dig...ck-s/21170.htm

was my source for the Cyberdyne Gauges. Ask around locally and maybe an automotive or marine shop might carry them. If you buy from egauges just make sure you ask them to ship by US Postal Service so that you do not have brokerage fees. There are Canadian distributors but unfortunately you end up paying at least double the price.

Note, as mentioned in my original post, these are not certified waterproof gauges. If you install them in your Spyder you need to add silicone to the edges of the gauge when attaching them to the dash pod so moisture will not penetrate the internals of the gauge.

The chrome Gauge Visor should be available from an automotive or trucking specialty place. They fit over the bezel of the gauge and were attached by silicone adhesive.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Thank you NorthStar...

I allways the same problem with brokerage fees... Now it's USPS or nothing.

Last edited by Lagaffe; 05-17-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...