Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT HEAT ISSUE AND GAS SMELL

how many bikes out their really have this problem i wonder i have a 2013 RTS SM5 we rode yesterday for about 100 mile temps where 76-80 never smelled fuel and no heat issue so my ?? is out of the 10000 of RT's out there how many have this problem i imagine if it was all 2013 RT BRP would have to do something their has to be a fix for it
    Last edited by mastertek2000; 05-12-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Can't answer that question. Gas smell is not unique to the "13's". All have experienced the gas smell. As far as heat there appears to be two issues there. The right side lower torch hole on the "13" AND more significantly underneath the tupperware. I personally think the heat has always been there on the right side lower torch hole. It's just that with the "13's" having floorboards and your foot position is slap dab next to that hole, that we are experiencing that heat. In earlier years we had foot pegs which were located higher. As to the tupperware heat issue I can't explain that one. Far be it from me. I just know that for me it is not an issue. For others it has been.

Chris

Spyder Garage

They ALL have the problem, Its a design defect, not a bad part. You just have not ridden in the combination of circumstances that set it off.

Get stuck in traffic for an hour or so on a 90deg day and then stick the spyder in your garage and come back. Ethanol in the gas helps too.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    They ALL have the problem, Its a design defect, not a bad part. You just have not ridden in the combination of circumstances that set it off.

Get stuck in traffic for an hour or so on a 90deg day and then stick the spyder in your garage and come back. Ethanol in the gas helps too.
    but you have to understand most bike would not fair good in them conditions heck most Harley's would be on the side of the rode waiting to cool down LOL yes and some one would say the honda wing would do great and yes i do agree but i think if you took a wing and wrapped it in plastic is also would not fair so well

Spyder Garage

Default Boiling gas and gas smell

I have a 2011 RTs. Temperatures while riding in Minnesota never brought out a heat problem except the gas smell. During the winter we head south and the higher temperatures in the desert SW plus maybe different gas formulations caused boiling gas and gas fumes. First fix was the change in gas caps that BRP sent out. Remember that? I did not notice any difference. Lived with it for 3+ years. This spring JT came out with the new air filter arrangement. Removed my air filter and resonator and installed the replacement air filter. First ride in 90+ temps and no gas smell and no boiling gas in the tank. Only put about 1000 miles on since the switch and am back in Minnesota now but I believe the increased air flow under the tupperware made the difference in the hot weather. One thing I noted is the amount of hot air coming out of the two vents under the mirrors is very noticeable now when riding. Another side effect is slightly better gas mileage. Before my low fuel light would come on and stay on around 127 miles. The last ride on Friday was 160 miles and the low fuel light did not show up until 143 miles. Of course this was with better Minnesota gas and cool temperatures. Will continue to check over the summer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    FWIW when I spoke to the guy who posts here under BRPcare he said a fix for the 13’s is in the works and almost ready to implement.
    I don’t know what that fix is but the way he talked it was a lot more than tinfoil.
    Has anyone attempted to contact this guy and see what and when the fix will be... And when?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default when i spoke to brp

to be honest when i say my bike is very hot and others say they feel no heat i wonder if i am going nuts. when i spoke to BRP they told me my bike is one of the ones that is running hotter than normal. after all the work i did to my bike and the new software update i had done i really felt it was going to be a great combination for the heat i felt at that time.

but after yesterdays ride in close to 80 degree temps i got totally fed up with my bike. even with the vents i put on and the block off plates the vents have, also cutting the plastic behind the vents to allow air from the radiator fan to move into the engine compartment to allow more air flow to get rid of the heat in the compartment, i now have heat where i never had it before. right now the inside of both my ankles feel very hot, also my seat had become a heated seat and i never felt that before plus i could smell gas fumes with less than 1/2 a tank of gas and i have never smelled gas since i owned the bike, even when the evap canister was fill of it and needed to be replaced.

i am waiting for steve from BRP to call, and he always does after a e mail from me, i guess because they don't want anything for us to have in writing, and i am going to ask him to take my bike and for as long as it takes to find the problem with it. right now i won't ride it in the nice weather because of the heat and with the gas smell yesterday i now feel like i am riding a Molotov cocktail and i don't move fast anymore if i need to get off the bike fast.

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    FWIW when I spoke to the guy who posts here under BRPcare he said a fix for the 13’s is in the works and almost ready to implement.
    I don’t know what that fix is but the way he talked it was a lot more than tinfoil.
    sounds to me like a we are working on it and you can't blame us because we are trying, but how long can they say the same thing
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say..!!

there are not as many as it would seem. From recent posts it would seem there are stages to the problem. You have those with no problems, some where changes brp made fixed the problem, some have made additional changes (on their own dime) and it fixed the problem and those where nothing helps. There is also the heat affects people differently. Those used to bikes and have ryden for years on hotter than these models adapt better. Those who have never ryden on top of an internal combustion engine will find it most uncomfortable. I hope brp can come up with changes that will reach all the ryder...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They ALL have the problem, Its a design defect, not a bad part.
    Nope...
    My 2010 never smelled of raw fuel... no problem!
    Same deal with my 2014...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Was out today riding - 78 degrees and my RT was hotter than a pistol. Temp gauge 3/4 of the way up, radiator fan running almost constantly, lots of heat from the front of the seat. No gas fumes this time, wonder of wonders. I have had them in the past to the point that I left the bike outside until the fumes dissipated. This C**P about overfilling the gas tank is what is causing the fumes is just that - C**P. Parked the bike in the garage and raised to seat to let the heat escape. The backbone of the frame was so hot that I could only touch it for about 2 seconds. If BRP has a fix - and having the ECM upgrade done didn't do it - I wish that they would stop screwing around and sticking their heads in the sand and just fix the damn thing. I'm sick of getting nothing but B.S. from BRP about this problem. Just get it done already!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Was out today riding - 78 degrees and my RT was hotter than a pistol. Temp gauge 3/4 of the way up, radiator fan running almost constantly, lots of heat from the front of the seat. No gas fumes this time, wonder of wonders. I have had them in the past to the point that I left the bike outside until the fumes dissipated. This C**P about overfilling the gas tank is what is causing the fumes is just that - C**P. Parked the bike in the garage and raised to seat to let the heat escape. The backbone of the frame was so hot that I could only touch it for about 2 seconds. If BRP has a fix - and having the ECM upgrade done didn't do it - I wish that they would stop screwing around and sticking their heads in the sand and just fix the damn thing. I'm sick of getting nothing but B.S. from BRP about this problem. Just get it done already!
    i couldn't agree more
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nope...
    I have had no problems with that on my 2 spyders,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Same here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    how many bikes out their really have this problem i wonder i have a 2013 RTS SM5 we rode yesterday for about 100 mile temps where 76-80 never smelled fuel and no heat issue so my ?? is out of the 10000 of RT's out there how many have this problem i imagine if it was all 2013 RT BRP would have to do something their has to be a fix for it
    Are you talking about a hot foot or heat under the tupperware? My 2013 had melting parts and I never felt any excessive heat from it. They are two different things. Also, the gas smell can be caused by operator error, overfilling the Spyder, or as was the case with mine a bad purge valve that caused fuel to fill the evap canister. Eventually the heat under the tupperware caused the evap canister to melt and dump the fuel on the exhaust manifold.

BRP issued a recall on all 2013 RT and ST so they must have thought that the problem affected all of them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Post count me in

FOR the BBQ foot and stench of gas - - gas smell only occurs on HOT days . I can ride all all day -all week -all year if the weather temp stays at 65 or bellow.
    have to assume that all spyders will get hot and gas smelly if they were ridden in 100+ temp in STOP n GO scenerios.
    I ride the 2012 RT Se5 and had this issue from the get go!
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    FOR the BBQ foot and stench of gas - - gas smell only occurs on HOT days . I can ride all all day -all week -all year if the weather temp stays at 65 or bellow.
    have to assume that all spyders will get hot and gas smelly if they were ridden in 100+ temp in STOP n GO scenerios.
    I ride the 2012 RT Se5 and had this issue from the get go!
    Well... here in Texas... that will let ya ride in November, December, January, and part of March..... Do ya park it the rest of the year?

Spyder Garage

Default NAW

I deal with it- tank top -shorts and floppers I ride all year rain or shine to work busting my chops...
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nope...

Only speaking of 2013s.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne;808585[B
    ]They ALL have the problem,[/B] Its a design defect, not a bad part. You just have not ridden in the combination of circumstances that set it off.
    The "All" got me confused...

Sorry...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Me to Bob.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

They ALL have the problem, Its a design defect, not a bad part.
    No they don't. They ALL got the recall, but not all of them had melted parts. The ones with melted parts have the problem. I routinely ride in the heat and yes, I do get stuck in traffic and everything was perfect under the hood as well as no excessive heat.

Spyder Garage

Default texas

I'm with JC, it might be ok in New York, but as has been said we ride all year here, and after May it's bad. If I pull in my garage after riding home from work at 2 am, even, if the tanks not full, have to park a box fan in front of it or garage stinks. I added 6' of fuel line in the line between the tank and the canister and routed it up over the airbox for now, and it seems to help, but it's been cool so far this spring. Just depends on your climate...
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    I'm with JC, it might be ok in New York, but as has been said we ride all year here, and after May it's bad.
    No doubt the southern states get more heat over the course of the summer, but in the northeast we get plenty of 90+ degrees days with high humidity. How long does the bike need to run in that environment before you feel the heat? I would say hours, not days or months. Certainly the problem should be seen everywhere if it was truly an "ALL" problem. Also, not all of the Spyders with melted parts were from the south. If so, then that theory would hold water.
    Last edited by stewartj239; 06-22-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT LTD. I have never smelled the gas as many of you have, but I certainly feel the heat around the seat and get the right side Hot Foot.

Here in good ole NC in the summer we routinely have 90+ temps and it is very uncomfortable riding let alone stopped in traffic.

I have to ride with my right food on the passenger footboard to tolerate the excessive heat from the lower vent hole and have gotten the upper vent blockoff from SpyderPops.
    However, because of their suggestion to cut holes in the bottom panel, I hesitate.

How many of you have done this to your 13 RT and did it really work out or did it cause problems?