Thread: Key stuck!

Spyder Garage

Default Key stuck!

Just purchased a new 2014 RTS, got home after 30 miles or so and key will not come out. I know there was a service issue for some and dealer said they checked mine and should not be an issue. I got home, put it in reverse to backup in my driveway. I did shut it off without putting the emergency break on so it screamed at me. I tried to turn it back on so I could set the parking break but would not turn and would not come out. I didn't want to force it out. After some time, I did get it out so like a moron, put it back in to try to start it again. Again, can't turn the key or pull it out. I've had a lifetime of Kawasaki's and Victory's and never had a problem. Frustrated beyond belief. $30,000 and broken an hour later. This is Saturday and dealer can't look at it until Tuesday because they are closed next two days.
    Any ideas out there?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Just a thought..!!

but if you can spray WD-40 or key graphite around the key and twist and move it about it will lubricate the tumblers and keep it from happening again. When you get the key out spray it and insert it straight in and back out a few times before twisting...good luck..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Happy ending......
    I'm confused......I couldn't do anything with the key.....wife couldn't do anything with the key.....buddy came over and he couldn't do anything and then his Irish wife after a couple cocktails spent two minutes working on it and viola! Luck of the Irish! Out it came and everything seems fine! Pulled it out and put it in and started several times with no issues. Should I risk a long ride tomorrow?! Hell yes! Thanks everybody for letting me bend your ear and wish me luck tomorrow. Happy Mother's Day to you mom's out there!

Spyder Garage

​Boy that Lamont, is he precinct or what??? Three, count them, three months in front of an actual reported problem
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Spyder back side view.jpg So here's my new ride, a 2014 RTS.
    Went on my first extended ride today on it and had no problems. Enjoyed it thoroughly and felt fine until I got home then out like a light for an hour!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should contact your dealer to be sure that you don't need to have your locks replaced. And if you do need them to be replaced, I'd look for a new dealer who doesn't deliver Spyders without checking for needed updates.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This sure sounds exactly like the problem that should have been addressed already...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Response To Key Stuck.

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content.

Spyder Garage

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default key & WD40

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    but if you can spray WD-40 or key graphite around the key and twist and move it about it will lubricate the tumblers and keep it from happening again. When you get the key out spray it and insert it straight in and back out a few times before twisting...good luck..
    Three Things: I have been a locksmith for over 25 years and I have made a living at the beginning with the help of WD40 . It is a alcohol base lubricant, and it is not a friend to lock cylinders.(sorry Gene) The alcohol dissipates and leaves a black gummy residual, worse in cold climates. So works at first but in general not good because of the inner workings of a lock cylinder.

Try and place a finger on the lock cylinder and push in while you pull the key out. Some lock cylinders have a retaining clip and this may help to keep everything aligned.
    Another thing to try if that does not work is while pulling the key work it in a up and down motion while pulling (gently) , this works sometimes. If you do get the key out look at the cuts of the key as if they are peaks and valleys . If the peaks are sharp it will keep the key from pulling easily.

Wish you luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank to read?

Totally off topic but this is in the thread.

Why do two of the responses require me to thank the author to be able to read them???
    The current rides:
    2010 Spyder RT SE5
    2007 VTX1800R
    1999 Valkyrie Interstate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Totally off topic but this is in the thread.

Why do two of the responses require me to thank the author to be able to read them???
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you got the key issue solved for the moment. Lamonts advice is good if it happens again and you are no where near the dealer.

I would recommend the dealer give it a good looking over. It is a warranty issue and should be fixed for you at no charge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Key problem

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Glad to hear you got the key issue solved for the moment. Lamonts advice is good if it happens again and you are no where near the dealer.

I would recommend the dealer give it a good looking over. It is a warranty issue and should be fixed for you at no charge.
    In the middle of a 4K ride the key became difficult to remove. A shot of contact cleaner, a few insertions and removals and it worked fine.