Thread: Look dang it!

Spyder Garage

Default Look dang it!

Took Bruisersbaby's Spyder to the dealer today to have tri axis bars installed. After we dropped it off I wanted to take her to Ray Price Harley to get a new helmet. They had HCI 3/4 helmets on sale at a good price. Most of the trip was event free until we got in to downtown Raleigh. We were in the center of a three lane street when this woman pulled in to our lane right in front of us. I hit the brakes and the horn. I mean, come on woman, look in that little thing called a mirror. As if that wasn't bad enough, she pulled in to the far left lane cutting off another car. When I got up beside her Kris said she had that "deer in the headlights" look mouthed she was sorry.

So we're at Ray Price Harley. Really nice people there. Wish they sold Spyders. Anyway, we get the new helmet, look around a little, I drool over a new 2013 Triumph Rocket III, have a free cold drink, then we're on our way home. So we're on US 70 and I move over to the center lane for merging traffic. And guess what? Here comes a SUV from the merge lane crossing over right in front of us, just missing the front of the Spyder by mere inches. Again, on the brakes, horn, downshift, check left and jump in the left lane. I pull up beside her, yes, her, and give her the two fingers "look" signal. She mouths "sorry" and proceeds on her way.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not picking on women by no means. But this is the third time this week I've been cut off by a woman. I guess I need to stop running with the cloaking device on. Or, paint the Spyder neon green and add flashing lights.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I guess I need to stop running with the cloaking device on.
    Yup - That darned cloaking device will get you every time

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mount some .50s in the fog light nacelles...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Took Bruisersbaby's Spyder to the dealer today to have tri axis bars installed. After we dropped it off I wanted to take her to Ray Price Harley to get a new helmet. They had HCI 3/4 helmets on sale at a good price. Most of the trip was event free until we got in to downtown Raleigh. We were in the center of a three lane street when this woman pulled in to our lane right in front of us. I hit the brakes and the horn. I mean, come on woman, look in that little thing called a mirror. As if that wasn't bad enough, she pulled in to the far left lane cutting off another car. When I got up beside her Kris said she had that "deer in the headlights" look mouthed she was sorry.

So we're at Ray Price Harley. Really nice people there. Wish they sold Spyders. Anyway, we get the new helmet, look around a little, I drool over a new 2013 Triumph Rocket III, have a free cold drink, then we're on our way home. So we're on US 70 and I move over to the center lane for merging traffic. And guess what? Here comes a SUV from the merge lane crossing over right in front of us, just missing the front of the Spyder by mere inches. Again, on the brakes, horn, downshift, check left and jump in the left lane. I pull up beside her, yes, her, and give her the two fingers "look" signal. She mouths "sorry" and proceeds on her way.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not picking on women by no means. But this is the third time this week I've been cut off by a woman. I guess I need to stop running with the cloaking device on. Or, paint the Spyder neon green and add flashing lights.
    Glad you did not get hit. I think that no matter what you do to your Spyder(or probably any other vehicle) there are just some people that do not pay attention. It is a good thing YOU were paying attention!

Spyder Garage

Default Merging..!!

I have found that this is the hardest thing for drivers today to do. It needs to be taught as a main course in driving school and basic part of driving test. Most of our traffic jams, freeway pile ups, near misses and serious accidents are caused by folks that have no clue on merging. Sorry, pulling over at the same time you put your signal on just don't cut it...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrocket View Post
    Glad you did not get hit. I think that no matter what you do to your Spyder(or probably any other vehicle) there are just some people that do not pay attention. It is a good thing YOU were paying attention!
    Check out this article. It's by a Royal Air Force fighter pilot and motorcyclist explaining why car drivers don't see motorcycles, and why we ryders don't always see things coming at us or that we are about to run into. The answer is not negligence, it's biology. Even those with good eyesight are partially blind. Not an excuse for not seeing, but it is a reason.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90471/1211%...de%20Final.pdf
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default AGREED - "LOOK"

We all have to get the awareness up for everyone to see motorcycles -- we are lucky that Spyders are a little easier to see, but people do these things -- just keep preaching "awareness" and defensive rydin' !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is an awesome article! Everyone should read it!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Check out this article. It's by a Royal Air Force fighter pilot and motorcyclist explaining why car drivers don't see motorcycles, and why we ryders don't always see things coming at us or that we are about to run into. The answer is not negligence, it's biology. Even those with good eyesight are partially blind. Not an excuse for not seeing, but it is a reason.

Great article.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Why I got Yellow

I have had similar experiences. That's why I got the bright yellow RT. I thought it would be more visible than the black, although I like the black color Spyder better. Good thing we have the best braking system out there on our bikes. I wish there was a setting so the lights would continually flash like I have seen on some bikes. Does anyone know how we can rig something up like this

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AlEverett View Post
    I have had similar experiences. That's why I got the bright yellow RT. I thought it would be more visible than the black, although I like the black color Spyder better. Good thing we have the best braking system out there on our bikes. I wish there was a setting so the lights would continually flash like I have seen on some bikes. Does anyone know how we can rig something up like this
    You're referring to headlight modulators, right? I put one on my RT. I forgot to take pics while doing but I'll post an explanation in a day or two.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post

Wow....Should teach this when you take your driving tests! Very interesting - learned alot!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    . . . It needs to be taught as a main course in driving school and basic part of driving test. . . .
    . . . these idiots were TAUGHT something? I thought the majority of the drivers in the Washington DC Metro area got their licenses as prizes in cereal boxes! . . . Or, perhaps, the folks who fail driver's school are forced to move to DC!

When I first got orders to the Pentagon, many years ago, a friend from the DC area told me there are two kinds of drivers, there . . . , and people learning to be . . . and he was right.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

That was pretty gentle giving her a 2 finger sign. I would of given her a ...........signal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    . . . these idiots were TAUGHT something? I thought the majority of the drivers in the Washington DC Metro area got their licenses as prizes in cereal boxes! . . . Or, perhaps, the folks who fail driver's school are forced to move to DC! When I first got orders to the Pentagon, many years ago, a friend from the DC area told me there are two kinds of drivers, there . . . , and people learning to be . . . and he was right.
    Hey... I resemble that remark!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!