Spyder Garage

Thumbs up DragRacing and a "New Clutch"

On Tuesday, April 29th, while on the way to Springfield, Missouri for SpyderFest 2014, I noticed our 2010 Spyder RT (with trailer), did not seem to have the pulling power, that it normally had. I made sure it was in the “with trailer mode” and continued on. Traveling through East Arkansas is pretty flat. Not many hills along the way. A few small hills as we got closer to Springfield. We made it to the hotel without incident, checked in and got ready to enjoy the upcoming five days!

On Thursday night, we went out to the Ozark Dragstrip where the Spyders were invited to drag race. Having taken third place last year in the “Spyder with Trailer class” (I know, there were only three entries, lol), I decided to have some fun with my traveling buddy, Rudy Doyle.
    We raced about 5~6 times, with me losing each time. Our 2010 Spyder RT just did not seem to want to get up and go…… (That was my excuse and I’m sticking to it.)

When we left the drag strip that night, the bike was running "okay", but along Highway 60, on the way back to the hotel, we stopped at a redlight. When we took off, the rpms went up, but the bike did not go. Made sure it was in gear, and tried again, Only to get up to about 30 mph, with the engine at around 7000 rpm.
    NOT GOOD! Transmission or clutch problem? No error messages....yet. Hmmmm..... The little voice in my head telling me I burnt the clutch up drag racing.
    Time to panic!!!!….How will we get home? How will I get it fixed? How long will it take to fix? What will this cost me? How will we get it back to the hotel? Or to Pitbull Powersports? Or Lamonster Garage? Its dark out here. Who will see us and stop to help?

I was about to hit the kill switch and roll to the shoulder, when three Spyders pulled up in front of and behind me with flashers on. We all pulled off to a safe location, and discussed possibilities.

Oil level? It was good. Leaks under bike? None. Strange odors? None. Removed the key and walked away from the bike for a while. Still no good. What now? Since we had not yet seen any error messages, we decided to try to make it back to the hotel. We had only travelled about 500 yards when the check engine light began to come and go, and the big screen showed CHECK TRANSMISSION. We again pulled to a safe location, and started making phone calls. First one to Rickylen Damouth. He'll know what to do.....He suggested we take it to the BRP tent at the Fairgrounds the next morning.

Well...., we waited for my friend Rudy to bring his 16’ trailer to load up our Spyder. Then a phone call to Erick DelToro. He dropped what he was doing, and rode out to pick up our CanAm trailer. And we finally got back to the hotel after midnight.

The next morning, I was at the fairgrounds by 9:00am, and found the BRP technician truck and tent. As embarrassing as it was, I explainedthe situation, including the fact that I had been drag racing just a few hours before it broke down. The rep told me they would check it out and get it fixed for me. Now, I’m thinking “this will take the rest of the week”. So…I asked him how long will I wait before they knew what was wrong with it? He says to check back in 20 minutes. So I got a cup of coffee, walked around Vendor Village, so much there to see, and headed back to the BRP tent. They already had the bike broken down and were replacing the clutch! WOW! These guys are good! I watched for awhile and found the tech that was working on my bike to be one of the best I’ve ever seen! He treated my bike like it was his own, taking special care as he re-assembled the custom painted panels! In less than three hours, I was on the bike headed back to the hotel…. with a new clutch!

At times, BRP has caught a lot of grief from Spyder riders about a lot of things. BUT….these tech guys are awesome!

We give thanks to our Lord that this happened at SpyderFest, among 1000 friends and family, and not on the trip back home!

We also want to say a special "thank you" to RickyLen Damouth, Lamonster, Erick and Leira DelToro, Rudy and Jan Doyle, JR and Christie Doyle, Noah Doyle, the Spyder Riders who stopped to help and then stayed with us, and last but not least......the BRP service rep and the BRP Technician! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

On a Special Note: I have now officially retired from drag racing!

Last edited by PeacefulBen; 05-05-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    2010 RT , Custom air brushed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!

there have been many stories on how brp has come through for the customers at spyderfest. Glad you were well taken care of they are trying to bridge the gap. To bad you missed running full power..!! There will be another running of the spyders...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Did you get any pieces of the Old clutch, as a tophy for your hard work?? )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

(Did you get any pieces of the Old clutch, as a tophy for your hard work?? )

No....but I got an earful....
    Does that count?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

nice to see BRP step quickly to get you back on the road!

and for those of you who don't know … Peaceful Ben won 1st place in the Bike Show! The man has a great looking ride!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One our friends had throttle body problem and BRP changed it at no charge.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulBen View Post
    No....but I got an earful....
    Does that count?
    Under the circumstances...

Spyder Garage

Nice! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

The BRP techs and Pitbull Powersports and Lamonster Garage helped a lot of folks during Spyderfest.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch?

Through this whole thread, I could never detect whether the transmission is SE or SM?
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Through this whole thread, I could never detect whether the transmission is SE or SM?
    SE5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUTCHES / TRANNY'S

This is my History .....while at Spyderfest I had " check Transmission " code issues......The BRP tech checked it out and confirmed I had 252 reports on file in the computer ........Then I went DRAG RACING .............It didn't even code once and I took about 35 runs in all ...........and got a 1 st place Trophy to boot .............Mike .................and this was accomplished with two bad exhaust gaskets

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike...
    Please don't take this the wrong way...

But,
    Your bike is either:
    Too Tough,
    or Too Dumb,

to die!!

Did you use Honda Gaskets, when you replaced them?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEAR BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike...
    Please don't take this the wrong way...

But,
    Your bike is either:
    Too Tough,
    or Too Dumb,..........................................I can't believe you said this ! ! !

to die!!

Did you use Honda Gaskets, when you replaced them?
    .............Of course, I'm not " DUMB " .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The "Genesis" of that saying...
    We once had a Poulan chainsaw that always started and ran pretty well...
    ...We HATED it!
    It was heavy, poorly balanced, and very tiring to run...
    My Dad managed to try to kill it just about every way possible...
    And it continued to run!
    Finally; a close family friend remarked that it must be, "too dumb to die".
    and that remark stuck around!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ben,

Glad they got you fixed up fast. Did they charge you? Just curious.

Dan, the other Dan I mean - with the Blue 2012 RT in the bank lot that night... Had his clutch act up (SM5) dragging me at the strip then it seemed to clear up. The next day on Friday we went down RT 125 and on the way back his clutch started slipping bad. Limped into Pitbull at 6:30pm and they pulled it over to BRP in the am. Had a new clutch installed on Saturday and he was good to go.

Nice meeting you and your wife.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Ben,

Glad they got you fixed up fast. Did they charge you? Just curious.

Dan, the other Dan I mean - with the Blue 2012 RT in the bank lot that night... Had his clutch act up (SM5) dragging me at the strip then it seemed to clear up. The next day on Friday we went down RT 125 and on the way back his clutch started slipping bad. Limped into Pitbull at 6:30pm and they pulled it over to BRP in the am. Had a new clutch installed on Saturday and he was good to go.

Nice meeting you and your wife.
    Dan,
    I'm glad to hear they fixed up Dan's RT as well. As far as what they charged....All I can say is... BRP took very good care of us,
    and had me back on the road in three hours! I have a new found appreciation for the company!
    Ben

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulBen View Post
    Dan,
    I'm glad to hear they fixed up Dan's RT as well. As far as what they charged....All I can say is... BRP took very good care of us,
    and had me back on the road in three hours! I have a new found appreciation for the company!
    Ben
    There was a reason I asked. They took very good care of Dan too.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Steve from BRP got my 2012 RTL right in and fixed my burnt wiring..Had me going in app 1 hour..They rocked that weekend!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I take full responsibility for Ben's clutch incident. Might as well. I talked him into drag racing last year

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad 7.5 using Tapatalk HD