Thread: Brakes

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

Hey you spider pro's my brakes are very soft. I have a 2009 RS and the dealer say's that all I need to do is a brake fluid flush only takes about 3hr to complete. I have almost 11,000 miles on my spyder so for this service cost will be app $400.00. Is this a rape job?? Also where can I find the for sale section on spider lover's needing some highway pegs and a trailer hitch??
    satchmo60

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$400.00 just to bleed the brakes????? No I don't think so there may be something more to your brake pedal
    Softness. or you are being raped. that just my thoughts good luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

you should have the fluid changed periodically. Check your manual. You can do it yourself but they also involve the buds program.
    If you go to forums towards the bottom you will see " for sale by owner WTB" ...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Also check that your parking brake is properly adjusted.

Spyder Garage

Default brake fluid

Quote Originally Posted by sachtmo60 View Post
    Hey you spider pro's my brakes are very soft. I have a 2009 RS and the dealer say's that all I need to do is a brake fluid flush only takes about 3hr to complete. I have almost 11,000 miles on my spyder so for this service cost will be app $400.00. Is this a rape job?? Also where can I find the for sale section on spider lover's needing some highway pegs and a trailer hitch??
    satchmo60

In addition to getting my 9300 mile service done, I am also asking that the dealership replace the brake fluid since it has never been done. I was told it would take 3 to 4 hours to do and cost $400 to $500 dollars. I am staring to think this might be about the going rate. Anyone else have experience on this?
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

I've never heard of replacing brake fluid as part of routine service. Is this something that should be done predicated on mileage?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This sounds weird to me.. I have ridden three Spyders approx 100,000 miles and never replaced the brake fluid. The level was checked but just as part of normal maintenance.. I replace the rear brake pads when I replace the tire but never had any braking problems AND I RIDE HARD AND STOP FAST....

Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

On page 3 of the updated maintenance schedule for 2008 - 2012 all models (Service Bulletin 2012-12) it states "Replace every
    22,500 km (14,000 mi) or 2 years (whichever comes first). The fluid in my bike is 4 years old. I know that if it turns dark it needs to be replaced, however, mine is still clear. Do you all think that this is something I should not worry about?

Spyder Garage

Default brake fluid

with modern fluid unless its black you should never have to change it unless for some reason you over heat it but on a bike thats rare but if its black its possible you have a seal going bad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brake fluid IS hygroscopic so it does absorb moisture and really isn't designed to be a lifetime fluid. Its a good idea to swap it out once in awhile.
    However, 14k miles or 2 years is silly IMHO.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

satchmo60
    Hummm? Softness with brakes is not something that makes me feel comfortable so you are right to want to correct it. This makes me think that some air is in the lines and not a breakdown in the brake fluid itself. It could be that the only way to get the air out of a linked braking system is to go with a rather involved flush. As for rape? In my opinion, yes. I doubt that it will take a seasoned technician anywhere near three hours to perform the flush, but they are going to charge the book rate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Runner,

Re: I was told it would take 3 to 4 hours to do and cost $400 to $500 dollars.

Last Fall I heard about this type of pricing. I called the closest dealer to me and was told it was because of the ABS system & that it took two people to do it.

And that is about what I was quoted.

Jerry Baumchen

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In the end you need to have confidence in your brakes! The final call of what to do is yours.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I flushed my own brakes and it did not take 3 hours.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Brake fluid does absorb moisture so it is a good idea to replace it every so often. Like many other maintenance items, manufacturers probably recommend more maintenance than might be necessary but I assume that their recommendations are based on the worst conditions. I think the 2 year time requirement is much more relevant than the 14,000 mile requirement. If you are in a more humid location, it might be necessary to change the brake fluid more often than if you are in a dry location. Also, my guess is that the brake fluid is more likely to absorb moisture when the bike is sitting than when it is being ridden. So, I wouldn't really worry about the mileage requirement unless it was to make sure that the warranty would still cover brake problems. The brake fluid was changed in my 2010 RT during routine maintenance at 12,000 and 24,000 miles before the spec was changed to 14,000 miles. But I had paid for a maintenance agreement when I bought the RT. Quite honestly, I wouldn't have changed it otherwise.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

The cost does seem high, but if you break it down to the standard shop rate of $100/hour, then maybe not so much. Plus, shops all base their individual costs on what BRP says it takes for time, not their own estimates. Unless, you are going to an independent shop, then they can wing it. All manufacturers when estimating time for jobs, include a substantial cushion, ie: profit for the dealer. That really is an industry standard for all cars, motorcycles, ATV, etc.

So, if you consider removal of the rear body work and seat, removal of the brakes from all 3 wheels to inspect before bleeding, and then adjusting the parking brake when done, reassembly and test ride, plus fixing a minor and unforeseen issue; then maybe the time estimate is not too far off.

Another thing to consider on this topic, and is the first tip I got from SL that was EXTREMELY useful. That was to replace the rubber cap liner on the master cylinder with one from an auto parts store (from a Dodge, IIRC). That was because the OEM cap liner had a very large hole in the top to allow air to enter and escape as part of the normal operation of the system. That hole, actually a slit, was too big and it allowed fluid to leak out and maybe more importantly in the long run, it allows too much air and moisture into the system. Brake fluid does absorb a tremendous amount of air, water, and dust, so by doing this yourself, you can save yourself a lot of grief.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

I really appreciate all the feedback and information from everyone. I take the bike in tomorrow morning to get the 9300 mile service done and I have decided to get the brake fluid replaced. I think it would be good to get the brakes checked out thoroughly since I am actually getting close to the 10,000 mile mark.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake fluid change?

When was the last time you ever changed the brake fluid in your car or truck? Now if you have repairs made or damaged system yes replace. Oh when was the last time your car brake fluid changed?

Spyder Garage

Default going rate?

[ if they follow brp procedure it is 3-4hr job supposedly this work thfluid through the vss module and all but my personal opinion is if you leave the key off bleed the brakes the old fashion way and refill the mastrr cylinder i think you would be fine QUOTE=sachtmo60;804683]Hey you spider pro's my brakes are very soft. I have a 2009 RS and the dealer say's that all I need to do is a brake fluid flush only takes about 3hr to complete. I have almost 11,000 miles on my spyder so for this service cost will be app $400.00. Is this a rape job?? Also where can I find the for sale section on spider lover's needing some highway pegs and a trailer hitch??
    satchmo60[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

For those that want to do their own flush, check this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Bfluid%2Bflush

Spyder Garage

satchmo60
    I have done the brake fluid change 2 times you do not need the buds you can do it like a car ,it is easy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years and that's the same for your car or truck as well.

If they have the machine that flushes the fluid, takes about 15 minutes

If their gravity draining it might take hour or longer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talked to a certified BRP tech at a dealer in SC about brake fluid change. He said it is one of the tasks that no tech likes to do because of the time and intensity of the task. BUDs is required to verify the correct system pressure and sensor operation. It does take two people and at least three hours. It was done on my wife's 2010 RT and cost $300.00. That was labor and materials (brake fluid).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What makes the brake system on the spyder any different than any other modern day car with abs and vss?