Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

The 2013 issues seem to have gotten over blown. After wrapping my tank and the mods in my signature it seems as good as any year and they all had issues too. No year was perfect. I have a solution for the right foot heat too and that is getting a $28 right grille from the 2014 and cut to fit so the bottom is a flap that pushes the hot air down and away. I only have 3500mi and did have some dealer prep issues at first.
    Last edited by Magdave; 05-30-2014 at 01:22 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    The 2013 issues seem to have gotten over blown. After wrapping my tank and the mods in my signature it seems as good as any year and they all had issues too. No year was perfect. I have a solution for the right foot heat too and that is getting a $28 right grille from the 2014 and cut to fit so the bottom is a flap that pushes the hot air down and away. I only have 3500mi and did have some dealer prep issues at first.

Went down and ordered my grill about two hours ago. Thanks for the reminder Dave. I may have to get back with you on the install. I do remember you had a post and will look first.

Chris

Spyder Garage

on your new ryde. The complaints have diminished quite a lot on the 2013's. Do not ryde in fear--enjoy your new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What is the part number of the grill?

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Went down and ordered my grill about two hours ago. Thanks for the reminder Dave. I may have to get back with you on the install. I do remember you had a post and will look first.

Chris

Only thing I might have done different is leave more on the lower left side I have a gap there that is no biggie with my Seal DLX FBs. That would have pushed it out more.Here is a pic before I filed it and put heat shield on

In the end the honeycomb shoots it outward more on top. I was out in shorts today and felt very little heat at the stop light. It is not a complete solution I would say 80 % reduction. There is a tab on the middle right side I might have left too you could drill and put a push pin in but the air keeps it sealed anyway.
    Last edited by Magdave; 05-30-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I certainly would jot say the issues were overblown by any means.

They are correctable and the mods I did have reduced heat near the fuel tank by 40% and the heat by the right foot you can use a deflector to push the heat out and around your toes.

The differences I made were extensive and expensive.

heat taped the headers.
    removed the air box and replaced with Kewl Metal air cleaner.
    put Viritka Trikes new Intake air panels on.
    removed the CAT replaced with a y-pipe and wrapped that assembly
    applied 1500 degree heat shield around the fuel cell.

I ran yesterday with the trailer fully loaded and my wife on the machine in 94 deg Ambeint heat and at fuel stop could hold my hand on the fuel cap area I was cool to the touch yes cool to the touch. So the heat can be mitigated but it costs money to it. admittedly I am not "do just enough to solve the issue" kind of guy. I take engineering approach identify the issue attack the issue and pull dat to verify the issue is resolved completely and fully.

I will add the glove box was cool as it used to cook what ever was in there.

So "overblown" I think not fixable ............... yes.

but that does not excuse the approach or attitude that BRP took on this entire situation.

But that said I am really enjoying my Spyder now....
    Last edited by Ramjet; 05-31-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You had a pretty thorough thread about all of the modifications; can you dig it out, and bring it back to the top of the pile for us?
    Your approach was very thorough, and I think that it could REALLY help anybody who has a 2013 with a serious case of the "hots".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Try to concentrate on the positive and forget the negative. These sights get visited most by the people having problems and looking for an easy solution. A little common sense and a visit to your (or any) dealer when your having a problem should alleviate your fears. We worry about things that only 10% ever come true. Stop looking to have problems and enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

Well for those experienced the "hot" issue their is little that is positive. Reality at times is not a great experience so with all due respect it is often we find ourselves searching for answers and that journey can be negative. Nice thing about the site is if you think the thread or post is going that way stop reading it.....

The experience of working through these issues cannot always be remedied by the dealer because they are beholden to certain requirements and regulations or contractural obligations. So even though I understand what you are saying at times to minimize the finically impact and to get quick and complete resolution you have to take the issue on yourself.

My point is simple if I had not taken this on and attacked it myself that machine would be sitting in my garage or I would have taken a very significant monetary loss and never owned another Spyder again.

So to talk about it exchange ideas and vent is all part of the process.

For or me it put my Spyder back on the road with me in the seat that machine is better than it ever was or could have been prior to my modifications. I suspect it runs significantly cooler than those who do not and the long term effects of heat on wiring engine components and body parts is significant with the current design.

So the negative part is BRP did nothing to mitigate the heat problem or satisfy me as customer and I had to spend allot of money above the original purchase price to make this machine what it can be.

Positive part is it NOW runs fantastic and runs cooler than any Harley or Victory I have owned.

Spyder Garage

Just because one person who never owned a Spyder complains and does some mods to it does not make them "issues". They have been hot from day one all years some people learn to deal with it some change things. As with all motorcycles you are sitting on and engine and are going to get some heat from it. What is excessive? Depends on the rider. At this point I do believe most of, if not all, the 2013 issues have been resolved. Even the 2014 is having some teething pains.

Spyder Garage

Not if you have one that has them.

By the way when is last time you allowed your machine to idle as though you were riding in the city caught in traffic and took heat gun and shot the tank area next to the rear exhaust header pipe?

I did I know what those temps are they would make your potatoes fry.

I also know what they are after my mods........potatoes will not fry.

Some some of us speculate some of us have hard engineering data to back up our statements.....

Well Dave we agree to disagree then.......
    Last edited by Ramjet; 06-01-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Not if you have one that has them.

By the way when is last time you allowed your machine to idle as though you were riding in the city caught in traffic and took heat gun and shot the tank area next to the rear exhaust header pipe?

I did I know what those temps are they would make your potatoes fry.

I also know what they are after my mods........potatoes will not fry.

Some some of us speculate some of us have hard engineering data to back up our statements.....

Well Dave we agree to disagree then.......
    If you care to search my posts you will find all the data and temps I took LAST summer before the updates and mods. I ride in Myrtle Beach and it is a big parking lot most of the summer. I was one of the first to use IR to post temps. My bike runs as cool as it is going to with just a DEI tank wrap and some selective shielding total cost ~$100. Having my own engineering deg and working in the auto industry for 30yrs I know a little something. My gas cap is cool too as well as the seat front and glove box. Take a shot of any combustion engine exhaust they will all be nearly the same. The point is the 2013 is very little different than previous years and DID have some issues that I believe (and hope) are behind us. Running around saying the sky is falling is so last summer.

Spyder Garage

but you did mods so the problem did exist

point taken

Spyder Garage

So... What is the part number of the grill the folks are buying from the 2014 models to put on the 2013?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk