Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New guy with a 13 rt-s What problems have you guys had with your 13's

I just bought a spanking new 2013 red rts and so far I love it. I have heard horror stories about them and want to know what you all have experienced?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=jmeyers278;804682]I just bought a spanking new 2013 red rts and so far I love it. I have heard horror stories about them and want to know what you all have experienced?[/Q
    My only problem was a hot right foot.

Spyder Garage

Default Ryde..!!

you need to ryde your roadster and enjoy it. This place has many a tale but most will have nothing to do with you. A few have had problems but the vast majority have not. Read your manual, practice and enjoy...congrats on the new ryde..!! and welcome..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I was actually going to post asking this very question. There have been quite a few issues reported (overheating, switches not working, cruise control issues, etc.) I'd love to see an aggregated list of issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

thanks!...Coming from 2 wheels for a long time it sure is a change but so far me and the admiral love it!.. 90 miles today and 270 miles total so far and only a few concerns.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default We have 2013 RT Ltd

Hi,
    First, Welcome and congrats on a great machine.
    Second, Greetings from Washington State. We bought a 2013 RT Ltd. and matching RT 622 trailer from Lifestyles Honda/CanAm in July of last year.
    Lastly, our only regret--not enough time to ryde.
    Jerry and Loye Kramer
    aka
    SPYDERKIDZ

Spyder Garage

I have had a pretty good experience with my '13 RT L. My biggest complaint is that BRP let 2013 get away from them. I truly appears as tho we 2013 folks got a hybrid, 2014 frame with 2012 mechanics with several horror stories. But here is my experience:
    1. Faulty ball joints. Replaced under warranty.
    2. Faulty heim link. Replaced them myself with aftermarket metal links. Would have been done under warranty.
    3. Recall for heat shielding. I, personally, did NOT have tremendous heat from under the saddle or any melted parts, but I don't recommend keeping chocolate bars in the glove box!.
    4. Waiting to do the service bulletin on the leaky fuse box (no problem yet) and the reprograming of the fuel metering that is supposed to further take care of the heat issue.

That's it. I love riding my 2013. I just think BRP has to up their game of PR and customer service not to mention, R&D. Hopefully they are on the right track with the 2014s, but NO MORE BLUE CURTAINS, OK?? Best of luck with your experience!

Spyder Garage

Default We have a 2013 RT

Welcome and congratulations, the Spyder is unique and so far for us, quite dependable.
    The most recent service bulletin that changed fuel mix made it run a little cooler. That service bulletin also waterproofed the fuse box so it is a good thing to do if it was not completed.
    We bought ours last July, and have about 4,000 miles on it, no problems.
    The one thing I have done to reduce heat is wrap the headers with ThermoTec wrap. There have been posts about that already. It seems to keep it a little cooler. The next thing I plan to do is throw out the cat. The catalytic convertor is extremely hot and those that have already done so report it making the motorcycle run cooler.
    If you look you will find lots of information about this subject.
    Those two modifications are not unique to Spyders, I got the ThermoTec wrap advice from a Harley rider, who did his years ago, and he also pulled the catalytic convertor off his Harley.
    I also put the BajaRon swaybar on the motorcycle, it does not change the ride, but makes it corner better especially with a passenger.
    I think that the first few thousand miles will help you decide what you would like to change and get used to the things you can't change.
    Good luck and enjoy the ryde!

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i have had my RT S SM5 for over a month now no real problem that i know of i have put 1000 miles on it hottest day was about 75 rigth foot i wears Joe rocket ridding boots love 2013 spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These guys can get you answers to anything that you want to know!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyers278 View Post
    I just bought a spanking new 2013 red rts and so far I love it. I have heard horror stories about them and want to know what you all have experienced?
    You heard horror stories and still bought one. Brave man. Now enjoy your new ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kml354 View Post
    You heard horror stories and still bought one. Brave man. Now enjoy your new ride.
    I'm not so brave. Prices on NEW 2013's seem to be discounted quite a bit. More than I expected, but maybe for the reason above. I took a demo ride at Spyderfest on a 2014 RT and liked it, but not the price of course. Wisdom from a couple Spyderfest riders was to look for a 2011/2012 RT if I couldn't find the budget for a 2014. I'm busy researching all I can at this point so hope others will chime in with their experience for the OP's question.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Hunting!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish you good luck with your 2013 and that is all I will say
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

2013 RT-SE, 18,000 miles and no problems. In fact it is the smoothest of all the spyders I have ridden (2010-2012). There is heat that comes from the lower right hole which at times is like a blow torch. I live with it.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I want from a 2009 RS to the a 2013 RT-L (still have the '09) last year and never looked back. I love my '13 and have been told there are good ones and not so good ones. As far as the heat issue yes there is some heat but my '09 has the same issue just maybe not as bad. My best advice for anyone with a ANY Spyder is have a GREAT! dealer and the people that know Sypders. I have a good friend which also has a '13 RT-L which he loves but has had his fair share of problems. It is my opinion and observation as an engineer, most of those are self induced but he does blame the bike. Lets just say there are alot of mods out there and just because it may look cool, sound cool, and has been on other bikes there is a limit LOL! The software Spyders have as we all know are very picky . Loading up circits my not be a good idea. IMO! I think if one is intrested in loading up a Spyder with lights, cameras, radios, etc run eveything to a new fuse box running from the battery. This will insure no feed back overloaded cirects etc.

Please no jump my case this is all just MY OWN OPINION!!!!!!
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeeMaybee View Post
    I'm sure the OP appreciates your wish, but not a very informative comment.
    PM sent...

Spyder Garage

I love my 13 so far. Other than the heat and the sway, I'm good to go!

Spyder Garage

I love my 13 so far. Other than the heat and the sway, I'm good to go!
    The sway bar is an easy fix: BajaRon Sway bar. Get with the Pitbull crew to set you up. The Bajaron sway bar is a lot more stable and it makes a difference when passing semi's on the interstate. Also get the metal swaybar links for added security: the OEM links are made of plastic and there have been a few snap off.

As far as the heat goes, that is something you will need to work with until you get to your comfort zone. Remember you are on top of an engine, so there is always going to be heat. My cure was a Spyderpops upper block off plate, wrapped the exhaust pipes from the engine to the cat, and it worked for me. Recently I got the cat bypass done so the heat has reduced some more.

And I love my 2013 RT-S... almost 13,000 miles on it and the best machine I've had so far!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Just to be clear..i heard about the horror stories AFTER i bought her...lol thanks for all the advice...I only have about 300 miles on her but have ridden her to work every day since I got her (big commute of 4 miles..lol) I really really like it..I picked up an ultimate seat and love it. I was going to have spyderpops put a skid and sway bar on it at spyderfest but I don't think I will be doing any business with them. I was told that they would get to it within an hour. I had the seat installed and 2 hours after I was told an hour I left. An hour later I got a call that said they were ready for me and I had 5 mins to get my bike there..I told them I left to get something to eat and they said sorry, can't wait.

Spyder Garage

I did allot of mods on mine it has made the machine completely different machine.

For riding and handling the single best improvement was the Elka shocks with rebound dampening. The machine stable rides wonderful and handles like a sports car.

I put on Viritka Trike Intake side panels and removed the huge air filter assembly and put on the Kewl Metal one that freed up room for the intake air to move out the hot stale air around the exhaust and engine that dropped the heat under the tupperware by 30% or more as established with my infared digital heat gun. I also put on the "smooth spyder" to rid the machine from the natural frequency issue at certain speed because of belt warble another great ingeniuse product from within the Spyder community. I also did the Cat bypass and wrapped all the headers with exhaust wrap all this had very good impact on reducing the heat of the machine around the operator. No hot rule tank good performance and the updates provided by the dealer all had great performance now I have this machine where it should be and look forward to many stress free miles with wide open smiles.

Spyder Garage

only real problem I've had so far on my 13 RT is I can't keep my ass off of it. too much fun and enjoying it so far. just picked it up in late December and already have almost 3,500 miles on her.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got a good deal on the last 2013 RT Limited at a dealer her in southeast Georgia and will pick it up this Saturday. It does get rather warm down here and the heat issue is a bit of concern. I have read about the modifications, but doesn't doing some of them possibly void the warranty?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 2013 RT Problems??

None really . Did have a bit of a problem with the digital display going AWOL, especially when hot - in S. Florida. Dealer replaced under warranty - no more problems.

Did, however trade it for a 2014. Just had to have that new 3-in-line 1330cc engine and 6 speed . Just had to have them and totally worth it.

IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0005.jpg
    Last edited by tharris30; 05-29-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Add new photo

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've had a 13 RTS for three weeks and so far so good. I have noticed some heat on the right foot but I wasn't wearing sox and had sandals on. Yes I know but it was a short ride. I did add the sway gar and links...needed. All is well. Headed for a 1500 mile trip in two days. Enjoy your bike. Just make sure the "campaigns" are completed.