Spyder Garage

Default Soon to start a massive audio project on my RT

I have decided to keep my 2013 RT so I am going to carry the audio to a whole other level. I will be installing JL marine grade amp and speakers. I will be making the brackets next week to mount the speakers pictured. I already have JL components in all my factory speaker locations. Can anyone give me the output of the alternator/generator of the 2013 RT? And at what RPM is it making the optimal output? I know there are people that have done this so any links to simular installs would be appreciated. I'm going to be using the complete bullett housing and removing the air deflectors and making a bracket to mount them down in that location. They look pretty good. And on a workbench these speakers seem to move the earth. So i can't imagine what 2 of the 7.7 mounted cans and 4 components will do. Ill post pics as I work on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rabtech; 05-04-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that the magneto is good for 650 watts; I'm just not sure how hard you've got to spin it...
    A couple of years' ago; there was some talk of an 850 watt version that was a direct replacement... but I lost track of it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The 2013 owners manual says 650 watts at 2,000 rpm. The 2013 service manual says 650 watts at 6,000 rpm.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

OK. Thanks. I will just add a capacitor and should be good for spikes. I also wont be cranking it full tilt so I will be good. I am trying to add pics to this thread but taptalk says its disabled by the administrator. Ill upload to my server and then link then. I have new Memphis Audio speakers for the factory holes here now. The JL marine audio brackets are on the way now and should be here by Friday.

Spyder Garage

Still haven't figured out tapatalk to get my pictures uploaded from my phone. here are some of the speakers going into the RT.

speaker3.jpg

speaker4.jpg

speaker2.jpg

speaker1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Can't wait to see what all you do with it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Looking really really good .... where are you installing the other pair of speakers? or am I seeing both front and rear placement installed? I saw what I imagined might be a couple of subs? in the white? just looking for more explanation... This looks amazing
    Rich

Spyder Garage

Pictures say a thousand words. Nice job.

Spyder Garage

Looks awesome!

Spyder Garage

All I can say is Wow. I see your not afraid to tear the Spyder down and work on it. Someday I hope I can be courageous enough to remove some panels.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks awesome! It's too bad that we couldn't get a taste of what it actually sounds like!
    (I'll bet you that the air raid sirens in "War Pigs", would sound... epic! )

Spyder Garage

I have modified a pair of Harley speaker adapters. This allowed me to use the 6 1/2" speaker in the front. It is a tight fit. And you will have to grind half the adapter away. But it will work.

speaker15.jpg

speaker16.jpg

speaker18.jpg

speaker19.jpg

speaker20.jpg

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Woah, very nice on the sub. I'm curious as to how that will sound. Will it be audible when driving...will the be able to take the vibration up there on the frunk?

Very cool project and I'm better it will sound awesome.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I went with a sealed box and to my amazement it doesn't really rattle the spyder. I shakes the frunk hood but in a wicked way. the little aluminum barrel that is on the hood that goes into the latch was the only thing rattling bad. I took car of that with some skillfully placed gorilla tape. It hits pretty hard so I am guessing I will be able to feel it when riding. When riding slow on the strip at the beach or when my childish streak kicks in I can rattle a window or two at a gas station. And who would think it would be a spyder making that kind of bass.!!!! I can assure you the memphis speakers will deafen you from about a 1/2 mile away though. It is one of the clearest and cleanest sounding systems i have heard in a open air environment. I would highly recommend this equipment to anyone that want to hear the speakers running 80 down the interstate. (with a full face helmet and the visor pulled down and ears stuffed with cotton and a diesel with jake brakes beside you) It is so loud and clear it will actually catch you in between songs and scare the poop out of you.

My only unknown is the charging system. I went with the single JL marine 4 channel amp for that reason. If the spyder has an issue with it I guess I could add a second odyssey battery and maybe a capacitor to hold it during long bass runs. I will know more tomorrow. I have a Black and Decker jump Box that I have fully charged and will carry it with me just in case I drain it. And I will ride it most of the day. Or until I can't stand it anymore.

I will say that I don't think anyone would want to keep it wound up over 1/2 volume for a very long time. I know it is in a garage setting but I am positive it isn't going to loose much for the rider and passenger when its in the open.

I also am putting 2 little handles on the the sub so i can remove it when I need the space back. I have quick speaker wire connects on the bottom of the sealed box. The 4 speakers in the standard holes are more than enough for most people. The sub is just icing on the cake.
    Last edited by rabtech; 05-23-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

The JL Marine M770 White speakers y'all saw in one of the earlier post were not used. I went with the Memphis 6.5" and the Memphis 4" speakers and couldn't be happier. On the downside I now have a set of JL Marine M770 speakers and a set of polished aluminum deck mounting brackets totaling 750.00 that are just sitting in my garage.

Spyder Garage

Wowser! That looks like it will be an awesome set up. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Now that you're done with your speakers, come on out and do my Spyder!

I think I'd love some upgraded speakers and amp but would rather have the storage than the ginormous sub-woofer.

Great job!
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've got to give "War Pigs" a run through that Monster!

Spyder Garage

Really looking good. How are you tieing into the radio?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larrymz3 View Post
    Really looking good. How are you tieing into the radio?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am hooking into the front and rear speaker outs. Normally I would have a powered active line level adapter. But here is where the JL (and some others) shine. I can run line level into the RCA inputs and the amp has a input adjustment just for this. I have found the active line level to give me a little clearer sound. But really not enough to justify having another powered device to maintain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
    Now that you're done with your speakers, come on out and do my Spyder!

I think I'd love some upgraded speakers and amp but would rather have the storage than the ginormous sub-woofer.

Great job!

The sub box has two speaker wire spring clips and comes out. The front truck is nearly empty, I still have the 4 speakers running thru the amp.