Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Ok, I spoke too soon. Now the headlight will not go on when I press the override button.

I tried boosting it will my battery charger, it has a 110amp boost option on it and the bike went crazy with the lights flashing and extremely bright. I am now getting messages scrolling across the screen like 'check engine', 'limp home mode', 'ABS fault', 'check transmission', 'VSS fault' and 'EDB fault'. I am thinking that something major has taken a crapper like the computer.

When I was checking connections I did find that one of the terminals on the starter solenoid was loose, I tightened it but it made no difference. The ignition switch connector was only clipped in on the one side. I clipped in the other side but this made no difference. All the other connections were fine.

We have an appointment at the dealer for Thursday but they told me that they are running a week behind. Only thing to do now bring it in and wait.
    I hope we don't get nailed for too much but I think that is wishful thinking.

I will report back when I know what has happened.

Thanks again for all your help.

Brian

Spyder Garage

Make sure you tell them you want estimates before any work is performed so they don't just try to stick it to you.

Spyder Garage

Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Spyder Garage

I had the same thing happen to my RT 2012. Rode it one day and everything was fine----went to ride it the next day and it was totally dead. I trailered it to the dealer and they found that the main ground wire to the frame was loose. They tightened it up and everything was fine. Give it a try and see if that's the cause.

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE - good news...well cheaper news anyways.

OK, here is an update.

My cousin, who is a mechanic, came over today and had a look at the bike. He disconnected the battery and hooked up his booster pack. The bike fired right up. My brand new Odyssey battery caused the problems. Apparently, they can cause problems on bikes with high loads on them. My wife's Gerbings jacket and gloves must have been too much for the battery as well as her additional lighting on the bike. After doing some reading on the web about these batteries, if the power gets too low on the battery you have to charge them with 15 amps of power and not with just any charger. Odyssey has a list of approved chargers that work well but mine is not on the list. I guess if her bike was stock it would not be a problem but it is far from stock these days so we are going to buy a good Yuasa battery now.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Brian

Spyder Garage

Default Great..!!

always hard to believe but we tried to point it out. Batteries are devious at times. Can show all good but in reality they're shot. I have always stuck with Yuasa and never failed me. These machines are rough on batteries and with all the electronics folks add your lucky they last as long as they do...well all is good with the world once more..did enjoy the thread lots of action...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    You can also switch the relays around in the front fuse box for some quick troubleshooting....I believe there are 4 of them which are all the same. You already know the headlight relay is ok since the override works, so try using that one in other locations?
    Didn't know they were all the same (allowing trouble shooting switching); thanks for the info!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    OK, here is an update.

My cousin, who is a mechanic, came over today and had a look at the bike. He disconnected the battery and hooked up his booster pack. The bike fired right up. My brand new Odyssey battery caused the problems. Apparently, they can cause problems on bikes with high loads on them. My wife's Gerbings jacket and gloves must have been too much for the battery as well as her additional lighting on the bike. After doing some reading on the web about these batteries, if the power gets too low on the battery you have to charge them with 15 amps of power and not with just any charger. Odyssey has a list of approved chargers that work well but mine is not on the list. I guess if her bike was stock it would not be a problem but it is far from stock these days so we are going to buy a good Yuasa battery now.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Brian
    Glad to hear that the culprit was found and punished!

This may be one more reason to NOT stray too far from "Team Yuasa", when it's time to replace the battery...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black