Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Is This Even Possible??

Big Rattler.jpg A riding buddy sent me this oicture of a rattlesnake that was supposedly shot in Georgia... Over nine feet long, and 14 rattles!
    Fact; or faked?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

gotta be photo shopped, but the kids arm muscles do look like they are working.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

His papa could have been a python...!! with that many rattles must have sounded like a flamenco dancer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have seen them that big in south alablama. so I say fact.

Spyder Garage

http://www.gjhunting.com/t1043-9-foo...k-rattle-snake

While the average size for an eastern diamondback is 5 feet, there have been snakes reported over 7 feet. About three years ago a farmer killed a 7'3" diamondback not far from where I live. The timber rattler is usually bigger. Biggest western diamond back I ever saw was 7' 10".

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have snake phobia. Sorry
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Anything is possible. Did the guy make a trip to the air compressor first?

If that's for real, someone is going to have a really nice snakeskin. Here come the belts, boot decorations, and wallets. Back in the day, we used to sell python skins for about $40 per meter--a big one would go for about $150 bucks.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-25-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Would make a nice seat cover for your new Spyder, Bob.

Enough would be left over to make a matching outfit.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking, "Belts and hatbands", for the entire crew!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I was thinking, "Belts and hatbands", for the entire crew!
    Yes, I left out hatbands, watchbands, vest and seat inlays.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Yes, I left out hatbands, watchbands, vest and seat inlays.
    True----Keep your tent zipped up, they are always looking for a warm spot. There have been larger ones killed both here in Arizona and Texas.

Spyder Garage

Reminds me of the scene in the original Jaws; where Roy Scheider almost gets his arm snatched off by the shark at the back of the boat, and says, "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat!"

In this case it would be; "I think we need a bigger gun!".

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

It would have been much bigger, had the board he is holding it on, been longer . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

If you look at most of these pictures, they are holding a dead snake with a stick or board or something like that. The freaking snake is dead, pick it up with your hands for crap sake. It sure ain't going to bite you.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm going camping to my land in the middle of nowhere for the weekend, i better take some extra underwear in case i encounter something like that!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    If you look at most of these pictures, they are holding a dead snake with a stick or board or something like that. The freaking snake is dead, pick it up with your hands for crap sake. It sure ain't going to bite you.
    There's a generation of real sissies brewing out there...

You just killed it ; pick the dang thing up!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;800296] There's a generation of real sissies brewing out there...

You just killed it ; pick the dang thing up
    On Animal Planet, they said a dead rattler could still invenomate up to four hours.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was shot...
    Put another one in it; disconnecting the brain from the spine, and you could dry your car with it...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Big Rattler.jpg A riding buddy sent me this oicture of a rattlesnake that was supposedly shot in Georgia... Over nine feet long, and 14 rattles!
    Fact; or faked?
    FACT, FACT, FACT!! This snake was killed about 3 miles from where I lived last year, Midway,
    Ga. (No that is not why I moved)
    Also, I was in an antique store near Watkinsville, Ga. last year. The owner of the store, retired professor from the University of Ga, asked me where I was from. I said Glennville, Ga. His face lit up and he told me to follow him back to the front of the store. He then showed me a picture of a gentlemen holding a rattlesnake, on a stick I might add. It was killed in a cabbage patch near Glennville, Ga. The snake was almost 10 feet long with 17 rattles. The picture was several years old.

Spyder Garage

Oh yea....................I forgot my own "near death rattlesnake experience".

1973.................I was unemployed suddenly; looking for work...............got a gig with a local Christmas Tree farmer (MI exports LOTS of Christmas trees out of state/country). It was June or July, and a crew of us were in a plantation trimming trees (plastic leg guard, R handed people walk around the tree counter clockwise, with a long VERY SHARP knife, using a slanted top to bottom slashing motion to cone shape the trees). It was about the middle of the day, and as I'm trimming this tree I hear a funny noise. I stop, and the noise stops as I'm looking around. I start trimming again, and the noise starts again. I stop........noise stops. WTF??!!! A couple of slow test slashes on the tree, and I narrow the noise source down to the base of the tree (grown down to hug the ground very closely). I poke the base area a couple times, and get the funny noise both of 'em. So, I get down on my hands and knees, and begin parting the ground hugging branches with my hands, and as it's pretty dark and shaded inside the base of the tree I've got my mug shoved right up in there to see better (guess where this story is going?). Suddenly!!!!! I'm eyeball to eyeball with the funny noise source; ****ing rattlesnake!!!! It's a Massasauga rattler, pretty sure it's the smallest of the US rattler species. If you get one that's more than 12 inches........................it's a monster. Size didn't matter in this particular surprised panic stricken state though!!!! I jumped to my feet like I was spring loaded and immediately defended my virginity against the 8-10 inch vicious snake aggressor with my knife. Just goes to show you don't always need a Vegamatic from Ron Popeil to turn into very much smaller pieces!!!! Poor snake!!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...fr=yfp-t-295-s

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjoe View Post
    FACT, FACT, FACT!! This snake was killed about 3 miles from where I lived last year, Midway,
    Also, I was in an antique store near Watkinsville, Ga. last year. The owner of the store, retired professor from the University of Ga, asked me where I was from. I said Glennville, Ga. His face lit up and he told me to follow him back to the front of the store. He then showed me a picture of a gentlemen holding a rattlesnake, on a stick I might add. It was killed in a cabbage patch near Glennville, Ga. The snake was almost 10 feet long with 17 rattles. The picture was several years old.
    Thanks for the "Other side of the story".
    So many folks are talented with Photoshop anymore; it's tough to tell where the truth ends...

Biggest snake I ever danced with, was on a seven-foot Blacksnake...
    Delaware Water Gap: 1978
    Big and mean, but pretty darn harmless!
    A whole bunch of us recent graduates from Rider College, were going on a Co-Ed camping trip in the Gap. Us guys were forging on ahead; while the ladies chatted and dragged their feet...
    We see this critter lying in the trail; all coile up...
    He ain't moving out of the way...
    The other guys with me started acting like a bunch of girls; so I just found a forked stick, held his head down, and grabbed him by the ears!
    He coiled around my arm, and wasn't giving a very gentle squeeze... I figured it best to stretch him out, and pictch him down over the bank...
    I ran out of armlength (70" wingspan) LONG before I ran out of snake
    About this time, the woman started getting too close; so I had to give him the heave-ho, before he ruined their festive spirits...
    He was a real beauty!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjoe View Post
    Attending the Rattlesnake Roundup in Claxton, Georgia, made a believer out of me. I was surprised at the number of HUGE eastern diamondbacks caught and displayed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Up here; they're protected!
    You'd probably get in more trouble for killing one of them, than if you shot the DEC Officer; who showed up to arrest you...