Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Need some help/advice.

My 08 RS-5 has been running great for a long time, but, after hauling it back from Texas this week, when I started it up to drive it out of my pickup bed, the chain tensioner won't stop clattering. Usually, when I start it up, cold, it'll clack a couple of times and then build up and quiet right down. This time, I let it idle for ten-fifteen seconds, shut it off, and re-started, and it still clattered. Shut it off, re-started, and drove it down the ramps and shut it off again. Started it again, and it still won't stop clacking! So, what to do? Is this common? Is there some access port that I can get to, to bleed the line, or some other simple solution? Scares the crap out of me to hear it rattle like that, though Cow Town guys told me, back a year ago, that the hydraulic cam-chain tensioner would sound off occasionally.

Any, and all advice will be appreciated.

DW

Spyder Garage

Sorry, but in my opinion it needs to be opened up and looked at.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

depending on a lot of things you may have to let the engine warm up a bit longer. Being hydraulic it may have to charge back up. Have not heard anyone with this problem. When working with the original kawasaki vulcans I had to ride new units 2 miles or more till the valve clattering would stop after the hydraulic lifters charged up. Hope oil levels and condition is good and don't rev it up could jump a tooth and bend a valve. Next best thing is have your shop check it out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    depending on a lot of things you may have to let the engine warm up a bit longer. Being hydraulic it may have to charge back up. Have not heard anyone with this problem. When working with the original kawasaki vulcans I had to ride new units 2 miles or more till the valve clattering would stop after the hydraulic lifters charged up. Hope oil levels and condition is good and don't rev it up could jump a tooth and bend a valve. Next best thing is have your shop check it out...
    The valves are not hydraulic on a 991 engine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

► 1:22► 1:22

10 Nov 2008 - Uploaded by Ronald Miller
    Aprilia Mille R Ticking Noise .... I had the same problem after my Aprilia RSVR sat for a while ...
    Hope this helps , it's the 5th comment that hints at a solution .
    Last edited by Mike X; 04-23-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ooops , that didn't help much , sorry .
    on U Tube one of the answers to the problem was to remove the cam chain tensioner from the offending cylinder and manually re-fill it with oil ???
    Sounds very involved , might be better to take her to the shop after all

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for responding. Haven't had time to try it again, and, well, it's been too dang cold, too. Still hoping that someone from the MoGang, or Cow Town will chime in. I do know that it's quite definitely the cam chain tensioner. It's always picked up oil and quieted right down within a few seconds, before. One thing's for sure, my engine always starts instantly, not like the Aprillia in the video. And, it's probably getting good oil pressure, instantly, too, since the dash lights go out very quickly, too.
    I'll keep checking in, here, and wait a few days before I get really serious about this.
    Thanks, again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Call off the hounds! Yesterday, I bit the bullet and fired her up and let it idle. Took about 4 minutes, plus, but it finally built up pressure and quieted down. I let it warm up for a few minutes more and then went for a ryde. It's running like the proverbial charm. Thanks, all for your responses.

I seem to recall that Len, or his mechanic told me that this issue will pop up, once in a while and that (sometimes) it may take quite a while for the pressure to build up and the noise to go away, and not to be so paranoid about it. Still, it's a hard thing to ignore. I'll change oil and filter, right away, and hope to not have to listen to it again for more than a few revolutions after start-up.

DW

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it has quieted down, and is co-operating for you!
    It's probably just pouting; from being ignored!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black