Spyder Garage

Default EPA acknowledges that ethanol damages engines

The following is from the AMA web site.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...s_engines.aspx

EPA acknowledges that ethanol damages engines

April 21, 2014PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has publicly acknowledged that ethanol in gasoline can damage internal combustion engines by increasing exhaust temperatures and indirectly causing component failures, the American Motorcyclist Association reports.

The EPA statements are found in a rule proposal issued by the Federal Trade Commission regarding a new label for pumps that supply fuel blends high in ethanol.

According to the EPA, "[e]thanol impacts motor vehicles in two primary ways. First ... ethanol enleans the [air/fuel] ratio (increases the proportion of oxygen relative to hydrocarbons) which can lead to increased exhaust gas temperatures and potentially increase incremental deterioration of emission control hardware and performance over time, possibly causing catalyst failure. Second, ethanol can cause materials compatibility issues, which may lead to other component failures.

"In motorcycles and nonroad products [using E15 and higher ethanol blends], EPA raised engine-failure concerns from overheating."

These EPA statements, contained in the FTC document, back the long-held position of the AMA.

"The American Motorcyclist Association has fought the distribution of E15 fuel blends in an effort to protect motorcycle and all-terrain vehicles from the damage that ethanol causes," said Wayne Allard, AMA vice president for government relations. "Now the EPA acknowledges that ethanol itself is harmful to emissions hardware and other components on all motor vehicles. It is time for the federal government to pause, take a hard look at this product and change its entire approach to ethanol in fuels."

E15 is a gasoline formulation that contains up to 15 percent ethanol by volume.

None of the estimated 22 million motorcycles and ATVs currently in operation can use fuels with blends higher than 10 percent ethanol. Doing so could void the manufacturer's warranty, in addition to causing damage to the vehicle.

The AMA applauded the EPA's decision in its proposed rule to roll back the requirement for wider distribution and use of E15 under its Renewable Fuel Standard.

The AMA also is concerned about the continued availability of E10 blends and E0 fuels -- gasoline with zero ethanol content -- if E15 is allowed to permeate the marketplace.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does E15 even exist yet?
    I've only heard rumblings about trying to get it up and into production...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Yes it does!

Here in minnesota we have pumps that have e15 e30 e50 e85. You choose your poison.

Don't get me started!

Gary

All I want to do is ride!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd have to assume that those pumps are for flex-fuel vehicles only?
    Aren't current vehicles limited to only a 10% mix?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

harder and harder to find non-E gas in South Dakota... but we have a few pumps still. I refuse to put ethanol in the Spyder or anything with a small engine...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

And it took them how long to figure this out..??...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

As far as I am concerned they can put as much ethanol in as they want. But I want the choice to be able to buy gas with 0% ethanol. This crap of driving up to a pump and not knowing if it has ethanol in it or not because they don't have to tell you up to 10% is just BS.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

We can't get ethanol free gas in The People's Republic of California. I wish we could.

That being said, I am surprised that the EPA said anything which really makes sense. Maybe one of the bureaucrats there actually drives a car. I don't know.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default SoCar

here in SoCar, we have plenty of REAL GASOLINE.... ZERO "corn juice"...
    HOWEVER........... it's usually $0.35 higher in price.... when in fact, it should be CHEAPER.... the "E" fuel needs to be transported via 'trucks'.... versus, very cheap PIPE LINES delivery systems for REAL GAS....

PEOPLE, WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF @ EVERY TURN.....
    keep electing the same people, and you'll never see REAL CHANGE....

Spyder Garage

We need to get rid of ethanol as a fuel period. It is proven that it makes a larger carbon foot print to grow the corn and turn it into ethanol to be blended with gasoline than if we still had regular straight gas. There are a few places that I can get o-ethanol but it is usually not 93 octane, which is what I use with 10% ethanol. Just saying.....
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Spyder Garage

everything here has some ethanol... cannot locate real gasoline. I don't think they ever exceed 10% here though. My Buick is a flex-fuel vehicle.... but I worry about the bikes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    We can't get ethanol free gas in The People's Republic of California. I wish we could.

That being said, I am surprised that the EPA said anything which really makes sense. Maybe one of the bureaucrats there actually drives a car. I don't know.

I dont think we have have ethanol free gas in Virginia either other than 110 and 115 octane at $7 to $8 a gallon.

Spyder Garage

News Flash!!!!

Ethanol Damages Engines, Pollution Control Devices, is more expensive, less efficient and Harms the Environment MORE than Gasoline!

Smoking is Hazardous to your Health!

The Earth IS NOT FLAT!

The last 2 truths have been known only a little longer than the 1st.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

E10 everywhere here, think I can remember seeing E85 a couple of places. Sucks the bikes already with running lean have a high internal combustion temp already, without adding a alcohol to it.