Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for some advice

I called my dealer today to see about getting a Baja Ron sway bar put on my 2014 RTL. He informed that he wouldn't do it because it would void my warranty.

True / Untrue. I got in on a deal for a free 2 Year extension (4 years total) so I'd hate to loose that.

Spyder Garage

Dealer is full of it and trying to ply you with a line of BS about the warranty.

Most likely does not want to do the job for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't know the answer but from what I read there would be a lot of voided warranties...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you had the sway bar installed and then you had some kind of problem that was caused by the sway bar then you could void your warranty for that repair. Just having a non-stock item on your Spyder does not void the warranty.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    I called my dealer today to see about getting a Baja Ron sway bar put on my 2014 RTL. He informed that he wouldn't do it because it would void my warranty.

True / Untrue. I got in on a deal for a free 2 Year extension (4 years total) so I'd hate to loose that.
    Whether it voids your warranty or not, I wouldn't let that dealer do the work; he's basically saying he doesn't want to. The only part of the warranty that may be voided is as it relates to the front end suspension. But, then it has to be proven that the sway bar was at fault. You just cannot arbitrarily void a warranty because you installed an aftermarket part. Once again, find someone else to install the bar.

Ooops, I see SpyderAnn01 already answered your question.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If you had the sway bar installed and then you had some kind of problem that was caused by the sway bar then you could void your warranty for that repair. Just having a non-stock item on your Spyder does not void the warranty.

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The back of your manual has all the info on your warranty

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

If you check here you will see there have been a great number of ryder that had the BajaRon bars installed by dealers as well as the hiem joints (which brp was recalling some). You have to find someone else to do the work and rest assured that you will never have a problem with this bar. Even brp is offering a better sway bar and shocks for the 2013's...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I think he's saying

maybe he's not familiar ,, with Baja Ron's sway bar,,

OR AS

I noticed in the new catalog (yes I finally got it too) that with the fox shocks (after the fact) they are offering an improved sway bar for around 400..for both... kinda makes one wonder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Installed Sway Bar

My dealer recommended the Baja Ron sway bar for my 2013 RT Limited and installed it for me without a problem. When I traded in my 2013 RT on a new 2014 RT I had them put the sway bar before I picked the bike up. I asked about the warranty and was told the installation would not void any part of the warranty.

Spyder Garage

Dealer is full of you know what. IMO Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

If you install an aftermarket item, the aftermarket item is not covered by OEM warranty.

If you install an aftermarket sway bar, the only items that will fall off of warranty is the sway bar and the connecting bolts.

There is a federal law about this, but I don't remember the code section number....maybe some else remembers it.

Edit: here is a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 04-22-2014 at 10:55 PM.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Guys. I guess I'll just have to find someone else to service it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post

My dealer installed mine.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This link from the Federal Trade Commission addresses your question. It explains, in layman's terms, the Magnuson-Moss Act.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

Note the section about after market parts; which is what you are referring to.

Keep in mind, what the language fails to be very specific about is whether an aftermarket part needs to meet the original part's specifications. Just for the record, it does have to meet the specifications, and most often the language in the warranty states something similar to that fact; which is allowable by law (and only makes sense -- otherwise consumers could do anything to a product and then try to make a claim).

However, regarding an aftermarket part not meeting the exact specifications or specific language of the warranty; the Magnuson-Moss Act will limit your liability to the exert of the aftermarket part itself, and any related damage/failure it may have caused. All other parts the warranty covers remains in effect. And the act requires the warrantor to prove the aftermarket part caused the damage.

A manufacturer proving the extent of the damage, its cause, and its limitation of liability can sometimes be difficult to do; and when these cases get complicated and sticky (due to a severe situation); typically a large corporation has deep pockets and a staff of attorneys ready to take the case to its fullest length -- requiring you to defend yourself in court and wait for the process to come to its conclusion.

Most often when the situation gets to that point you are without your vehicle (or product) and spending money on legal fees while waiting. That is when you hope for some sort of "out of court settlement" to occur if you are in a hurry; otherwise you are in for the long haul whether you are right and protected by law or not.

So, when people quote the Magnuson-Moss Act, keep in mind, there is not a steadfast form of resolution to a problem. In other words, there is not a "800-Magnuson-Moss-Act-Complaint-Hotline" you can call to demand the manufacturer come to a resolution immediately.

It is not often it goes this far, but when it does, it becomes a real hot-mess (as my son would say); and since you asked, I felt obliged to let you know all the potential circumstances.

All in all... I would find someone to put the sway-bars on and go about enjoying your Spyder.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 04-23-2014 at 06:42 PM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default A Wealth of Information!!!

THIS is the reason I come to the SL Forum before I do anything to my Spyder!!!!

A load of THANKS to all the true contributors to this site!!!!
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium