Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone here who came from a GL1800 Trike?

If there is anyone here that came from riding a Gold Wing Trike to the Spyder, I would love to have your thoughts.

I am 70 and have ridden bikes most of my life. My last was a 2005 GL1800, that we rode out west and back from Ohio. In 2006 we had it converted to a CSC Trike and in 2008 rode it to Alaska. We loved it but my wife was out sick all of 2009 and I sold it. So we have been bikeles/trikeless for 5 years. Now the itch off openness is getting to us both and because of cost, I am considering the Spyder. Probably a 2011,12. We test rode a 2014 and while it was nice, the seat was not as comfortable as a Wing and it felt "twitchy" on the straightaway and "mushy" in the corners. We only rode 15-20 minutes so I will have to have another test ride of at least an hour - with I-75 time - so I can get a better feel.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Don in Hamilton Ohio

Spyder Garage

Hey Don. I have sent you a PM
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum.
    I actually went from a Spyder to a Wing, but here is a link to a post I had last year about my feelings about both machines. Both machines have pros and cons and I tried to honestly relate my personal experience with both. Hopefully you will find it helpful to some extent.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post689017

Spyder Garage

I went from a CSC wing trike to a 2014 RTS Spyder. Wife and I are very happy we did. The seating is a little cramped on the Spyder compared to the wing. But you get used to it. The Spyder is quicker IMO. And 350 lbs. lighter. And the Spyder is light years a head in suspension. The suspension has a plush feel to it. Braking is much better on the Spyder. Maintenance costs are about the same, around $300 for a service. Except when you need a valve adjustment on the Wing. A drawback to the Spyder is the dealer network. Some dealers don't have highly trained techs on staff. Some don't understand that motorcycle dealers, for the most part go out of their way for someone broke down on the road. And their are the dealers selling Spyders just for the money, and have no clue about the service side. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Most former two wheelers find a 500 to 1000 mile "learning curve" on the . I did not have a GL 1800 but drove a lot of big iron. Vulcan 2000cc, Nomad 1500, Voyager 1200, etc. I was not comfortable with until about 1500 miles. The new riders I have taught (no two wheel experience) had it figured out in 250 - 500 miles.

Give it a try--I am sure you are going to be just fine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Beastie!! I remember well your daily posts and pics from your Alaska trip. I attended one of your Cracker Barrel lunch runs over in Indiana.

Do you remember George Lewis from the 1800 trike board? He's here on this board too and has both his 1800 trike and his spyder. Maybe he will chime in.

I didn't have an 1800 trike, but I'm on my second spyder.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

[Partial Quote] We test rode a 2014 and while it was nice, the seat was not as comfortable as a Wing and it felt "twitchy" on the straightaway and "mushy" in the corners. [Partial Quote]

I would bet money that the "twitchy" you experienced on the 2014 was because it has not had the "laser alignment" .

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Twitchy Steering

When I first rode a Spyder it was darting all over the road until I learned to let go of it. The tighter you hang on to the bars, the twitchier it is.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Hi Beastie!! I remember well your daily posts and pics from your Alaska trip. I attended one of your Cracker Barrel lunch runs over in Indiana.

Do you remember George Lewis from the 1800 trike board? He's here on this board too and has both his 1800 trike and his spyder. Maybe he will chime in.

I didn't have an 1800 trike, but I'm on my second spyder.
    Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Granpa, Maybe I should have registered here as "Beastie" but I am glad you remembered "Beauty and the Beastie" and our Alaska adventure. Which CBTC gathering did you come to? Was it Harrison or Kokomo, Indy or where? I would love to meet (which I could do almost anytime) and talk to you at length about the Spyder. We could meet for breakfast or lunch and chew the fat and the rag.

You know, after riding since I was 16, I had my GL1800 converted when I was 62 and rode the trike for the next 3 years. The Alaska trip was the best vacation we ever took and Tina, to this day, would rather go on a trip on the Wing trike than ride in a car. She absolutely loved that throne from the first minute and it was just the stock saddle. On trips, we have ridden as much as 15 hours in a day and she was not worn out from the saddle. She was not thrilled at all with the Spyder saddle but as someone said, maybe an Ultimate or Russell saddle would be the answer. the problem is that I don't want to spend $20k+ to find out she doesn't like it, 'cause "When mama ain't happy..."

I would like to go back to the dealer (and none of you inspire me with confidence about the dealer) and take one out for at the very least an hour ride, including I-75 if they would let me. I PM'd Lamonster and he said the 2012 was one of the best and that might be more within my budget. After owning a lot of motorcycle over the years, going to a trike was a major thing. But, I had ridden many trikes at dealers and Wing-Ding and other get-togethers...and we would still be riding our Wing that we were used to...and I knew for Tina, as passenger, it really wouldn't be that different. If anything, for her, it would be more stable and comfortable.

As to maintenance I don't know. I could do almost everything on the GL1800, including valves. In 5 years, I never took the GL1800 to the dealer for anything, warranty or otherwise, except for the trike conversion. I did take the trike to the factory twice. Once for adding the adjustable shock and once for the newer straight line drive mod.

Now, as to SteveMac...you almost make me want to forget the Spyder and concentrate on finding a good used Wing trike again. One thing is for sure, i am not going to rush into this.

Oh, I almost forgot Granpa, I do remember George Lewis and I saw on GL1800riders.com that he still has his Wing trike and also a spyder. I never met George nor did i ever go to the Texas Trike Reunion although we were planning to go when Tina got sick. We did correspond a lot though back then. let me know if you'd like to meet. We might even be able to get some of the old gang together. Remember, it was the Cracker Barrel Trike Club and was for any and all trikes.

Thanks again for all you comments guys.

Don