Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The search for perfection!

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find an introduction forum so I decided to post this over here. Feel free to call me Siara, I'm a 26-year old 'girl' from Belgium. I currently drive a BMW F800GT which is kind of brand 'sparkling' new thus starts my shame trip. I've previously ridden a whole bunch of Kawasaki's which I still love to death but I felt I needed a change so I sold those to get my Beemer.

The stupidity here is that I actually wanted to buy a Spyder first instead of the Beemer but the fact that there are so much negatives connected to buying one here I decided not to and I can honestly say I already regret it even though I know it wouldn't be a smart move. To be honest I can't find a single logic reason why I should switch from my two-wheeler to a spyder but my heart cries out for one. I do have CVS/ME but I'm not at that point in time yet where I can't drive a two-wheeler anymore. Pfff...you can understand I'm quite frustrated with myself!

Could you guys and girls perhaps comfort me by sharing your experiences on the matter? I'm calling the closest dealer for a test drive by the end of this week to check when they have an opening. I already went there once to check out their models and if I do make the leap it will probably be one of the ST models. The first time I crawled on the basic ST-model of 2013 I felt so happy it made my heart skip a bit. This might sound stupid but I loved it from the first moment I crawled on it. My partner in crime however who also rides a Beemer thinks I'm nuts for liking the spyders since 'they're too expensive for what they are.'

How is the fuel economy on these beauties on average?

Can you also use them for commuting to work or are they better off being used for fun roadtrips?

If you had to pick 'options' on these beauties, which one couldn't you live without? (For example: heated handgrips, side bags, ...)

Could I drive one of these for like 'eternity' if I don't replace them? :P Life span of atleast 6 years?

Will I be able to keep up with my partner in crime on a two-wheeler?

Also please share your beauties with me I love seeing pictures of Spyders so feel free to also let me know why you chose to ride one!

Spyder Garage

Default The search for perfection!

Hi I 69 years old and I went from two wheel to the I fell in love with it when I first saw it , it was the way for me to go.after having open Heart surgery twice ,shoulder surgery,knees surgery on both knees It was getting so hard to hold two wheel up. and I love to ride so the was the way to go ,I don't regret it for one moment.
    I get about 32mi. per gallon on my bike.

IMG_3866-s.jpgIMG_3846.jpgtry it you'll love it......

Spyder Garage

Hey btcherm,

Thanks for your input! I'll be sure to try it out once they get a demo model ST in again. They currently sold the demo model so I have to wait for the next one to come in before I can take it out for a ride.

Your ride looks absolutely beautiful ride it and be proud, I wouldn't mind being seen on that one at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Welcome Siara!!

I'm in the UK and have an RS-S....IMG_0282.jpg IMG_0285_1.jpg That one!
    I sold my last bike a couple of weeks ago. It was a R1150R.... 163955.jpg This one!

I too am no longer able to safely ride on two wheels (bad back and 'unreliable' right foot!) so the Spyder was
    an attractive choice for me. It will happily keep up with all but the fastest BMW riders!
    Of course you can't drive between lines of cars but neither will it fall over!
    I get around 6-7litres/100km, so not very economical but acceptable.
    It's nothing like a motorcycle to drive and you need 1000km to really get used to it. Then it's great FUN!!
    I have ridden at well over 160kph and the Spyder is stable....the max speed is restricted to around 200kph.
    I would happily commute on mine (if I still worked), car drivers seem very polite when confronted by a Spyder!
    I would think that they would be even more polite to a lady on a Spyder!
    Options: I have the sportier model so no heated grips or BMW-like nice toys but I have colour-matched BRP side bags web-TR3_4021.jpg (Not me!)
    and a Corbin seat plus a higher MRA screen, made in Germany. It's nice to be able to ride with no helmet in town
    in the summer when it's hot and sunny.
    Life span.....If you look after your Spyder there's no reason why it shouldn't last more than 10 years.

Oh! Congratulations on your very excellent English!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I love my ST Limited. Has "all of the options" and is very comfortable to ride. My last bike was a Harley Davidson Electraglide. I have no problem keeping up with other bikes. When you test drive, go out for the day. I fell in love after a couple of hours on the Spyder, came back to the dealership and bought one.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife always wanted to ride her own bike and after I test rode one in 2012 I told her about it. Well after her test ride in the dealer's parking lot she was hooked. Got the bike after thanksgiving that year and she got her license in the spring of 2013. Two months later we were off on a 1200 mile road trip to West Virginia. Fuel mileage is high 20's to low 30's for us. About 140 miles before the fuel light comes on. On the keeping up with a two wheeler this can be done with some small mods like a heavier sway bar. I am considering getting a Spyder when my wife's gets paid off later this year. The Spyders are very good machines and should last just fine with regular maintenance. So far my wife has 8900 miles on her bike and loves it. I am 57 and my wife is 49 and we have given up on a lot of the peer pressure stuff. Get what YOU want. I don't see why a spyder wouldn't be great for commuting. Good luck on your choice and WELCOME.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Welcome, Now if comfort or mileage is at the top of your list, be sure to check out the new 2014 RT. Had a 2012 RT and have to say that the bigger engine, 6 speed transmission, better suspension make for a great ride, a step above the previous years. You have to get the 2014 RT to get the bigger motor and 6 speed. I am getting around 35-37 mpg on my 2014 RT Limited.

Good luck with your shopping.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

@OJ UK: Thank you for the input I enjoyed reading it. Glad my English is more than acceptable and nice to know there are people from all over the globe present here. 6-7liters/100km on the fuel department is indeed not very economical seeing I get about 4,5 on my two-wheeler at the moment and around 5 on my old car. That's indeed something to consider when purchasing one. The RS-S is beautiful and was my initial choice after browsing the web but in real life the ST seemed to suit me better. I still think they're gorgeous and look quite able with the side bags attached as well. Did it take long for you to transition from those two-wheels to the current three?

@03hdjill: I believe the dealership will let me lend the spyder for about 2 to 3 hours so I should get a picture of the general handling by then. Off course adjusting will probably take longer so I am keeping that in mind as well.

@Highwayman2013: Thank you for the warm welcome! I am most certainly going to get what I want (I'm stubborn like that) but my partner is not amused seeing I just recently bought the Beemer (including loan). I'll most certainly have to sell the Beemer first before I can afford a Spyder of any kind and he hates to deal with all that hassle. He also thinks it's stupid to trade in my beautiful top-of-the-line two-wheeler for such an expensive toy with less options that the current and more expensive gas mileage. I'm sure he's right but I'm one of those free spirits that follow their hearts instead of their common sense, haha~

@warp10: Thank you! Glad to be here. I've heard that the 2014 editions have better gas mileage but I'm probably going to be able to get a better deal on the 2013 editions over here right now. Such tough decisions. First I'm going to be sure to take a ride on one and see just how much I enjoy it~
    Last edited by Siara; 04-21-2014 at 06:47 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Siara!

These bikes will open up new Worlds to you!
    But; they don't feel like bikes!
    Since they corner "flat"; the ride is more closely related to that of an ATV, or a snowmobile... if that helps!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME...

I spotted a Spyder at a motorcycle Rally in Lake George NY four years ago and was intrigued! I was riding a Yamaha V-Star Silverado 1100 and loved it... but... starting to feel heavy.

I test drove a and that was it... I was "bitten". We eventually sold our 2-wheelers and bought a 2012 Magnesium Metallic RTS-SE5 planning to ride two-up. However, I wasn't happy as a full-time passenger and the leg room didn't fit my husband... so he bought a beautiful HD Tri-Glide and I inherited the .

I have never regretted making the switch from 2-wheels... love my Spyder! Gas mileage - around 30... can't speak to keeping up with 2-wheelers since we usually ride as a 'group' of two bikes. I haven't added pictures to the forum yet so I won't try now.

Welcome again...
    Gina

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Siara!

These bikes will open up new Worlds to you!
    But; they don't feel like bikes!
    Since they corner "flat"; the ride is more closely related to that of an ATV, or a snowmobile... if that helps!

In curves you may have to shift on the seat and lean your upper body to the inside. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

OJ UK - I was initially surprised by you comment about Siara's English skill. Of course, it's excellent. But we Americans presume that everyone speaks English!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Siara View Post
    Hi everyone,

....I currently drive a BMW F800GT which is kind of brand 'sparkling' new thus starts my shame trip. I
    If you had to pick 'options' on these beauties, which one couldn't you live without? (For example: heated handgrips, side bags, ...)

Will I be able to keep up with my partner in crime on a two-wheeler?
    Hi Siara - You have the bike that I would own if I wasn't mostly riding 2 up. I think you made an excellent 2 wheel choice. My must have Spyder options are a windshield and passenger back rest. The Spyder will have no problem keeping up with your 2 wheel friends.
    Last edited by xinu; 04-21-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    2012 RS-S Can Am Red SM5, Back Rest, Touring Windshield and Custom Dynamics risers.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your great input! I am enjoying your feedback so very much.

I do love my current ride whom I dubbed 'The White Knight' but the Beemer just feels wrong. I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would since BMW is such a high-rated brand. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely a perfect machine. I can't find a single flaw and it rides like a charm but I'm feeling more and more confident that it's not meant to be for me.

I've never ridden an ATV or snowmobile either so I can't compare. I'm totally excited to try one out. It's going to be a long week before I can call. *sigh*

Be sure to keep the personal experiences coming!

As for the languages Belgians pretty much have to suck it up and study since in our country we have to be able to speak Dutch, French and German as our native language and if possible add some English and Spanish to the mix. Education here is very language oriented in general which comes in handy on forums like these~

By the way, is there any difference between the 2013 and the 2014 model of the Spyder ST?

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

This is an amazing site for everything spyder, but unfortunstely not for the shopper. Sorry you saw the site before the test ryde or you could have seen it in a different light. Sold my goldwing and all things motorcycle pior to moving here and resigned myself to being bikeless. My wife bought me the RS and I had only seen one on a commercial. Never test rode one or sat on one. Joined this place two months later. What you see here as to negative aspects is but a drop in the bucket compared to the positive. If you ask for positive feedback you will get tons. She could not have made a better decision, I would not trade back for anything out there.

I ryde most everyday which could be considered commuting... We have the advantage of being able to ryde all year so we have put a lot of miles on our roadster. On average we get 33 mpg but with as low as 27 and as high as 40 mpg so not great but decent. I ryde with quite a few others and have seen 2008 models with close to 70,000 miles on them and are going strong. They have not been around that long but I see them lasting a lot longer.

As for what to add it will come down to choices. I am old school and have no luxury added just safey and performance. You will see here all that is available and our sponsirs have them all. As for keeping up, you will have no problem. Granted there will be those faster but for fun and pleasure you will kerp up with the best. The add safety feature will keep you on the road at all times.

The test ryde will answer all your questions. When you do decide to join us on the open road or around town you will not regret it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT LTD and a I love it. I have rode 2 wheelers in the past, but when my wife and I saw the Spyder we fell in love. The ride is very different from a 2 wheeler, the main thing to realize is you need to relax your grip when riding. This will make the world of difference. My wife would not ride on a two wheeler and she feels very safe on the Spyder, me well I just love knowing I won't drop my very expensive toy! As with all my vehicles I will drive it until it no longer runs, hopefully a while. It is best that you try one out, maybe even rent one to make sure it is a good fit for you! They are not for everyone, but everyone can ride one, which makes for a great bunch of people who do ride them. There is lesser us mentality with Spyderlovers, they tend to be a very welcoming bunch! Good luck and have fun riding no matter what bike you stick with!As for negative posts, I think they are just as important as positive ones, to allow for us to do further research an make an informative decision. That being said, as mentioned above, there will always be more negative posts on a forum (people looking for answers to their issues), as the people with positive posts are too busy riding?
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Netminder; 04-21-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the replies everyone, I'm learning so much here.

I'm a little worried about all the issues I've been reading here such as overheating issues and even things catching on fire. I'm scared to death about those happening because Murphy (Murphy's Law) absolutely loves me...

Do you guys have any heating issues? The dealer assured me that the models here in Belgium have no such issues but off course he might just be trying to sell. He seemed like an honest enough guy but I never trust someone completely. Dealers in Belgium have also never heard about that laser alignment system thingy I keep reading about over here. What exactly is that anyway? o__o

I'm aware that any vehicle can have issues but can-am seems to have had trouble with fire-igniting issues more than once and not just on their spyders...I really don't want to see a € 20,000 or up vehicle go up into flames...

Spyder Garage

Siara,

The major difference in the 2014 ST compaired to the 2013 is the new vented side panels. The 2013 ST's tend to be hot when riding and CanAm adressed this with an software update (recall for the 2013) and these vended panels. We really liked our 2013 ST-L (in my picture) and averaged about 32 MPG.

This year we made the trade for a 2014 RT-L with matching RT622 Trailer as I sold my Harley are only using the Spyder. Fuel mileage is nice, but that has never been the reason I have purchased any motorcycle or Spyder.

Good luck on your decision and your course of action.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Siara,

Quote Originally Posted by Siara View Post
    Thank you for the replies everyone, I'm learning so much here.

I'm a little worried about all the issues I've been reading here such as overheating issues and even things catching on fire. I'm scared to death about those happening because Murphy (Murphy's Law) absolutely loves me...

Do you guys have any heating issues? The dealer assured me that the models here in Belgium have no such issues but off course he might just be trying to sell. He seemed like an honest enough guy but I never trust someone completely. Dealers in Belgium have also never heard about that laser alignment system thingy I keep reading about over here. What exactly is that anyway? o__o

I'm aware that any vehicle can have issues but can-am seems to have had trouble with fire-igniting issues more than once and not just on their spyders...I really don't want to see a € 20,000 or up vehicle go up into flames...
    I have a 2012 RT-S SE-5 Ride alot two up an go about 220 km's on a tank full. It is a bit different to ride the your bike , but a light touch on the handlebars will help. You have to steer these unlike the bike. You will enjoy it trust me on that. vI lost my right arm but still ride an have a 1977 Honamatic 750a that i changed the throttle over to the left bar an still ride it. The one thing you will have to get use to if an when you buy it is all the questions that you will get asked when you stop anywhere. As for keeping up you can with a little bit more work but you will never have to worry about dropping your Spyder unlike a bike.
    2012 RT-SE5 , MAD wires an NGK plugs bLUE

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Siara

Nice to hear from a European Neighbour

I went from a BMW K100LT to my Spyder RT-S In Dec 2010

I have been to Scotland once and Germany Twice passing through Belgium both times In fact I stayed at a Youth Hostel in the Centre of Liege

Everyone is so friendly and I am planning to return In Aug this year and hope to stay in the same Youth Hostel whilst on my way to Germany again

Not sure if you are aware of a Spyder Club in Belgium - I came across this

http://spydertv.net/en/spyder-club-belgium/

Going to the Spyder was the best move I made I can ride all day in Safety and in Comfort

If you get a chance go for a test ride and try the different models RS ST and RT
    I am sure you will find one you like

Best of luck

Eddie
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Most of the above posts cover pretty much everything that I could say in answer to your questions.

I have owned four 's so far and soon #5. All have been great and I would not hesitate recommending the brand to others.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You guys and girls are truly wonderful, I enjoyed reading my share of replies today once more. Wonderful to see the variety in riders on these machines.

I'll be sure to 'force' the boyfriend on the test model when we're taking it for a spin. He is absolutely fascinated by it but he refuses to admit it since they're known as 'machines for the weak of heart' here? Not sure how the dutch word translates properly to english without swearing so I'll refrain from doing so, haha~ I couldn't care less what someone else thinks though but his male ego seems a bit more sensitive to such matters.

I've already got the 'need for speed' vibe out of my system with the Kawasaki's so the Beemer was already a step-down being an attempt at a touring bike that's not too heavy. I'm sure the Spyder will do just fine for my current needs in that case. I've tried looking for a dealer that does both but to no avail. I'm afraid I'll have to try and sell my pretty Beemer to an individual and hope for the best. Oh well...we'll see what happens after the first test drive.

I would really prefer a 2014 regarding the heat issues but since you guys let me know that not all older models have such issues I might be much better off finding a nice second-hand through the dealer. Might be a better bang for my buck in the long run. I'm already playing with nice custom designs in my head since all your spyders look so beautiful.

@Eddie: Nice to hear you enjoyed Belgium, it's not too bad over here. I wasn't aware of any clubs here in Belgium so I'll be sure to check out the page you've sent me.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Siara;
    We had a very active member on this forum, a couple of years ago. She was from Brussels and her handle was "Dol". Maybe, you could PM her and see if she answers back. She is still on the members list.

Spyder Garage

Welcome. My RS, then RT Spyder have about 40 thousand miles with no problems.
    I had to go to three wheel because of old age and I would say the spyder was 90 % as much fun as two wheels (long time rider)/ Now I think the Spyder is more fun. I have had trouble keeping up with about anybody.
    Your english very good. If you do not mind answering, Do you speak more then english and Dutch ( I think you indicated that). I drove School bus here in Ohio and there was a student that was "forced" by the school system to take enlish as a second langauge (ESL). I talked with a lot since she was only one on the bus at the time. She spoke, dutch, Flemish, english and one more, The ESL teach said, she spoke all of them very well. Most American speak only one.
    Good Luck and Safe riding
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the tip, I'll be sure to try and contact 'Dol' as well in that case.

Nice to hear your RT is going strong, oldmanzues! I do speak more than English and Dutch but I do have to say those two are my favourite languages by far. The Dutch dialects are an art of beauty and the English language sounds so fluent and full of emotions. I hope that I'll still be holding strong and riding a Spyder when I get to a blessed age like yours.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default hi S

Siara,

some things you buy by Head ( BMW ) and some by Heart ( Spyder ) - that's what i've done and never looked back
    to date i was able to out ride every 2 wheeler - some times on 2 wheels only myself - that's probably why they call me lunatic. However , i want more power and higher top end still

Since you're in Belgium with somewhat worse weather than we have here in Ireland, you probably use Heated grips and Handlebar pockets, Side bags? - personal preference but frank alone gives you at least as much room as 2 saddle bags combined, never needed them and they also make Spyder ugly and it looses it's sportiness in my opinion. Get as many lights as possible ( no not literally )on both front and back - helps a lot in challenged visibility/weather to be seen by others.
    One of the many beauties about Spyder is that you can go full throttle and also hit full breaks whenever you like which you just can't do on 2 wheelers and this comfort alone makes you the fastest bike on the road once you master it.

Sure send me a PM if you feel like

RS SE5,
    Lordy
    Ireland