Spyder Garage

Default ok folks i need a lil help

i had the bike apart to see if i could get the brake lights to stop sticking, i put grease on everything and i think i fixed it. now my question is where is the brake light switch. i found a plug right under the right lower panel and when i unplugged it the lights didn't come on so i tapped into the red and white wires and ran the 2 wires up to the dash for a LED i bought to show me if the lights stay on. i did the led last and never checked to see if it worked right b4 i put the bike back together, live and learn, so now when i hook up the LED it stays on and when i hit the brakes it goes out, just the opposite of what i wanted it to do. being i am going out in the morning i am not taking the bike apart again today, and monday it goes in for the update so not doing that day also.

other than going back to the brake lights and hooking it up there does anyone know where i can get a feed for the led to come on when the brake switch is hit. THANKS
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

We are taking a break while out riding, but I tapped the brake light wires back by the battery (on our 2011's). I think it is the same harness that is used for the trailer lights. If no one posts the wire color before we get home in a few hours I will update with the wire color.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

There are 2 brake wires... Right Brake is Red and Left brake is Orange. in the harness back by the 2011 battery location anyway. I am guessing that the harness is the same on the 2013's.

On the harness, it will have Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green and Blue. If you tap the Black for ground and the Red or Orange, you should be good to go on your LED.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

led's are polarity sensative. You just have to reverse the wires and you should be fine. If it is easier do it at the light...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i had the bike apart to see if i could get the brake lights to stop sticking, i put grease on everything and i think i fixed it. now my question is where is the brake light switch. i found a plug right under the right lower panel and when i unplugged it the lights didn't come on so i tapped into the red and white wires and ran the 2 wires up to the dash for a LED i bought to show me if the lights stay on. i did the led last and never checked to see if it worked right b4 i put the bike back together, live and learn, so now when i hook up the LED it stays on and when i hit the brakes it goes out, just the opposite of what i wanted it to do. being i am going out in the morning i am not taking the bike apart again today, and monday it goes in for the update so not doing that day also.

other than going back to the brake lights and hooking it up there does anyone know where i can get a feed for the led to come on when the brake switch is hit. THANKS
    The brake light switch makes and breaks a hot lead going to the brake light. If you tapped into the red/orange and white wires you simply connected the LED across the brake light switch terminals. When the switch is open the LED completes a circuit from the red/orange hot wire through the taillights to ground, thus being lit when the brake is off. When you close the switch by pushing the brake pedal you short circuit the connection to the LED thus turning it off.

You need to connect the LED between the white wire, which it down stream of the switch, and a black ground wire somewhere else. I think all black wires in the bike's harnesses are ground. Then when you push the brake you feed voltage to the LED and from there it goes to ground. That'll cause the LED to light up whenever the brake light is lit.

Does this explain it good enough, or should I make a copy of the wiring diagram at the switch?

LEDs are polarity sensitive but that's not your problem here. You will need to switch the leads at the LED when you move the wire from the red/orange switch wire to a ground connection.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-20-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)