Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Brake Failure - need info

Hi Gang,

I have a 2008 GS with 3400 miles and I got a "Brake Failure" message after work the other day. Brakes feel fine and I was able to ride home. Checked the brake fluid and it's right at the top but I added a couple tablespoons to each reservoir for good measure. Also checked the parking brake - that's OK too.
    But the "Brake Failure" message persists. So here are my questions:
    • If the problem is cleared up, will that message go away by itself?
    • If not, is there a non-BUDS way to clear it?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Maybe take off the right side Tupperware and check the master cylinder area?
    Take to dealer!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Could be the brake pedal is not returning completely, or a bad switch.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pull the right rear fender cover and you will see the two black sensors on the bottom of the reservoir. Push them out from the bottom of the reservoir and let them hang loose. Fire the bike up and see if the fault goes away.
    This will eliminate one area for a potential fault....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

Check the brake pedal switch for one. You topped off so your covered there. Check park brake switch as well. Sometimes if you rest your foot on the pedal too long it will throw brake failure codes. Don't know how long it takes to clear and go to storeage. Next would be to have the dealer check it out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The floats in the reservoir can become fluid logged and not float as well as they should. This along with the ridiculously high fluid level that's need to keep the warning lights off can be something to take into consideration.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The floats in the reservoir can become fluid logged and not float as well as they should. This along with the ridiculously high fluid level that's need to keep the warning lights off can be something to take into consideration.

I agree with this, adding just a little fluid will probably solve your issue. Did with mine.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

I find it to be a yearly thing. My Black Widow gave me the sign on Friday. Topped off the brake fluid res. and no problems driving the twisties and mountains on Saturday.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've gotten that prompt since I swapped out my stock pads for EBCs from Baja Ron last year. My fluid level is fine, the prompt is intermittent, and has not gone away.......................I'm good at ignoring like that.

PS: I'll check the plugs/leads on the bottom of the master cylinder though.....................didn't know about them until I read this thread. TY! electronics!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    I've gotten that prompt since I swapped out my stock pads for EBCs from Baja Ron last year. My fluid level is fine, the prompt is intermittent, and has not gone away.......................I'm good at ignoring like that.

PS: I'll check the plugs/leads on the bottom of the master cylinder though.....................didn't know about them until I read this thread. TY! electronics!
    I finally got tired of messing with the brake fluid level. I pushed the sensors out from the bottom of the master cylinder and have them zip tied up and out of the way.
    I've never owned a bike that checked brake fluid level so it wasnt a big deal for me.

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2008 and have had a brake failure. That required replacement of the master cylinder. If you have seal floor boards you might want to check the brake pedal. I had to have it modified; first with a spring and then had the pedal width thinned and heightened.

Also fluid level is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by cstall View Post
    Hi Gang,

I have a 2008 GS with 3400 miles and I got a "Brake Failure" message after work the other day. Brakes feel fine and I was able to ride home. Checked the brake fluid and it's right at the top but I added a couple tablespoons to each reservoir for good measure. Also checked the parking brake - that's OK too.
    But the "Brake Failure" message persists. So here are my questions:
    • If the problem is cleared up, will that message go away by itself?
    • If not, is there a non-BUDS way to clear it?

Thanks!
    ("It is a great day for hockey." Bob "Badger" Johnson)

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

2012 Bronze RT-Limited Spyder ///SOLD///
    Inspector Gadgets Floorboards $150 & Highway Pegs $65, BajaRon Bar, Corbin Seat & Armrests

2008 Yellow GS SM5 Spyder ///SOLD///
    Corbin Seat, Seal Floorboards, 3" risers, CalSci windshield, DWG Speakers, Spyder front and back decal, passenger foot peg extensions.

2015 Yellow Chevy Camaro Convertible

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default update

Well, here's an update on my troubleshooting efforts:

• Brake switch is OK because brake lights work
    • Park brake switch is good because display indicates when park brake is set
    • fluid is topped to proper level
    • Removed and tested both fluid level sensors - both are good
    • checked master cylinder for leaks - none found

But I still get the "Brake Failure" message when I turn the key on, even with the fluid level sensors removed from beneath the reservoirs.

From what I've been reading, the message should go away by itself IF it was caused by low fluid.

So what else is the computer checking in the brake system which would throw a "Brake Failure" message?
    Is there way to clear the error (without going to dealer)?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's a shot in the dark since I'm not acquainted with anything other the '13 RT. Have you checked to see what codes are in Nanny? Can you see the codes like you can with the RT by holding in the Mode, Set, and Turn signal buttons simultaneously?

Since you've checked all the obvious possibilities you may have no choice but to go to the dealer. There's more to the brake system than what you've checked. I had my RT back wheel jacked up and started it and ran it for a bit. I then hit the brake pedal to stop the back tire. The fact the back tire was turning and the front ones not, threw an error code after pressing the brake. I had both an ABS code and an EBS (electronic brake distribution) code, so I take that to mean there is a pressure controller that varies the brake pressure between front and rear wheels. The passenger seat switch also has an input into the braking system from what I read. So this is all to say that there is more to the braking system than what you've checked. There's an encoder disc on the rear wheel, and brake pressure switches in the system.

The manual for the RT says BUDS is used to clear fault codes after bleeding, so you may not have any choice but go to the dealer to clear your fault.

HTH, at least a little.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I finally got tired of messing with the brake fluid level. I pushed the sensors out from the bottom of the master cylinder and have them zip tied up and out of the way.
    I've never owned a bike that checked brake fluid level so it wasnt a big deal for me.

Good to know also.................thanks again!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with my 08 also. Turned out to be the brake fluid. The fluid needs to be flushed and refilled every 2years or 12,000. Dealer wanted 8.5 hrs labour which came to over $600 bucks. I took it home and followed the service book on bleeding the brakes without Buds. It took me about 45 minutes and a $5 bottle of brake fluid.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swrafey2000 View Post
    I had the same issue with my 08 also. Turned out to be the brake fluid. The fluid needs to be flushed and refilled every 2years or 12,000. Dealer wanted 8.5 hrs labour which came to over $600 bucks. I took it home and followed the service book on bleeding the brakes without Buds. It took me about 45 minutes and a $5 bottle of brake fluid.
    That's great info! I'll try bleeding the brakes when i get my service manual.
    Did the "Brake Failure" message go away by itself after you bled the brakes?