Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED A TRAILER

Spyder Garage

Default NEED A TRAILER

1. Considering the purchase of a 2014 RT Limited from Central Florida Powersports, but the logistics of getting it home has me concerned. I could drive it, but having never driven a Spyder before has me a little concerned. For a price, the dealership has offered to trailer it back to Pensacola for me. This is me just ranting that it would be a good time to own a trailer.
    Still looking for our first Spyder....

Spyder Garage

Default Don't be concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by woolfski1713 View Post
    1. Considering the purchase of a 2014 RT Limited from Central Florida Powersports, but the logistics of getting it home has me concerned. I could drive it, but having never driven a Spyder before has me a little concerned. For a price, the dealership has offered to trailer it back to Pensacola for me. This is me just ranting that it would be a good time to own a trailer.

You'll be just fine driving it home. Take a few minutes in their parking lot to get the hang of it and you'll be good to go. It's not as difficult as you think.

Let us know what you do.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

How often would you need one..? You could go down take some time to get used to the roadster and have a great ryde back. Take the back roads and side roads. If not comfortable have them trailer it for you or rent a trailer and take it back yourself. Now question is have you driven much with a trailer..? Could be harder to deal with that than ryding your new baby home...congratulations on the new ryde and welcome to the roadster world. Your going to love it..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No better time to get to know your spyder then a nice Ryde home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that buying a trailer seems a bit "extreme"; but no more, than taking off on an unfamiliar ride!
    Perhaps if you let them trailer it back to home base; it would be the best choice. You can then get more comfortable on it, on more familiar roads.
    But.... make sure that they fully review the controls and operation of the bike , before they cut you lose!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I can fly down there and drive it back for you. That's just how we SpyderLovers take care of each other.

Kraig
    2012 RT SE5
    2010 RT-622 trailer
    2013 Triump Bonneville T100
    1971 Honda CT70
    1972 Honda CT70H

Spyder Garage

I was in the same boat.. I had never ridden a spyder and I bought a brand new 2013 RT Limited in August. I had a 20 mile ride home on the highway t contend with. I just took it easy and didn't get out of my comfort zone. It was a fun ride and I felt pretty comfortable. The BIGGEST mistake you will make is holding the handlebars to tightly. The steering is sensitive and a death grip will make the spyder a little squirrely.. relax your grip and enjoy the ride. Congrats
    Jonny
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

And no one said you've got to take the freeway home.
    Find some back way there and make a day of it.

Just an opinion.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Go For it!

HI,
    We bought our Spyder last summer and I rode it home with the trailer attached. The ride was about 45 miles with both side roads and some freeway riding. BTW our dealer [Lifestyle Honda] was very helpful and the five minute explanation of the trailer and the correct mode for trailer was very helpful. After a short demo ride--off I went. You can do it and you'll love every minute. Smile a lot cuz you are gonna be a Rock Star
    Jerry

Spyder Garage

Appreciate the vote of confidence displayed in the responses of fellow Spyder riders. The journey from Kissimmee, FL to Pensacola, FL is probably a good 8 hour drive in a car and 10 hours on a bike. Maybe I will just take a leap of faith and drive it back. After all, what is the worse that can happen??
    Still looking for our first Spyder....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Appreciate the vote of confidence displayed in the responses of fellow Spyder riders. The journey from Kissimmee, FL to Pensacola, FL is probably a good 8 hour drive in a car and 10 hours on a bike. Maybe I will just take a leap of faith and drive it back. After all, what is the worse that can happen??
    You will be fine. I can think of a lot of bad things that can happen towing a trailer! I rode my first Spyder home 600 miles by myself through Chicago freeway traffic and I'm still here to tell about it!

Go for it!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Adventure

This is what we would do.......make a mini overnighter out of it. You and your significant other drive there to pick it up. Then she can follow you on the way back. Stay off freeways. As stated before take scenic less traveled roads. That way you can pull over whenever you want and stay in your comfort zone. Some might say two vehicles means more gas $$, but you get to enjoy the experience together! An adventure

Spyder Garage

Not sure if they're wide enough for a Spyder, but U-Haul rents a motorcycle trailer for about $15/day. Of course you'll need a hitch. But that's what we did when I got back into biking in 2011 and bought a bike in NC and needed to get it back to Fl. If not their motorcycle trailer, they may have others that will work.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The worst that can happen is you will enjoy the ride so much you will not want to stop when you get home. Driving a Spyder is not like the first time on a motorcycle. True the steering my feel a little squirrely at first, that is because of the power steering but relax and it will feel OK quickly.

Spyder Garage

You might want to set your GPS to"Avoid highways" that way you'll stay off interstates
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Red face You can do it.

My first ride on a spyder was 1600+ miles. Louisiana to So. Cal. Somewhere near Phoenix I added a trailer. Total trip time including trailer hitch install was just over 48 hours.

Go for it. Just go at a pace that feels comfortable to you.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Ride it. Take your time. In a few hours, it will feel like the most natural thing, and you will enjoy yourself. Then get home, pack a bag, and come to Spyderfest!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel like such a sissy...
    When I bought my 2010; I had never even sat on it, before takng off on only a 60 mile ride home...
    The first two miles; I was sure that I had just made the biggest mistake of my life!
    Everything worked out just fine!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We had the same dilemma. Bought a 2013 RT-S last year and had never driven a bike before. The dealer was 1 1/2 hours away. The dealer was kind enough to trailer the bike to our home. Once there we took our time and got comfortable with the bike on familiar roads. Took the MSF trike class to learn more. We got our M licenses and we have never looked back. We traded the 13 in for a 2014 RT-S at CFPS. Great dealer. We know the Florida roads very well having lived here for 25 years. I don't worry about the roads as much as I do about Fl and tourist drivers. Florida roads can be hazardous and you need to be on your game at all times. I would have the dealer trailer your bike to your house and get comfortable from there. We also bought the Ultimate trailer to tow our bike between our 2 homes and for long distances. Handling a trailer too takes practice. Just take your time learning the bike. You will fall in love in no time!

Spyder Garage

Red face U-Haul request

Quote Originally Posted by FiFi View Post
    Not sure if they're wide enough for a Spyder, but U-Haul rents a motorcycle trailer for about $15/day. Of course you'll need a hitch. But that's what we did when I got back into biking in 2011 and bought a bike in NC and needed to get it back to Fl. If not their motorcycle trailer, they may have others that will work.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/
    Unfortunately U-Haul doesn't have a trailer the spyder will fit. Yet?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default uhaul

the uhaul motorcycle trailer

is 5x9 with a 950 weight limit the width of the spyder will not fit

Spyder Garage

The only thing making it a motorcycle trailer is the built-in chock, v-nose type set up. Other then that it's just a flat utility trailer with sides. If a Spyder will fit in a 6 x 12, this one will work. But I remember someone saying they need a 7 ft wide trailer.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=HO

Spyder Garage

Brought mine last May , drove it home , week later brought a trailer and took a 9,000 mile trip! Best time of my life!! Yes yes.
    Oh this is the trailer I brought for my bike , heehee
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397849830.108394.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397849846.139795.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTs

I am not sure if you would be interested, but I have a 2014 RTs pearl white with 327 miles, Baja ron sway bar, and nelson riggs cover, sorry to say the wife has a spine, tailbone problem and cannot ride so I am selling for $26500 which is a real fair deal, located in Ocala, Silver Springs area, could also work out something to get it to you. Jym

Spyder Garage

Default Joy Ride

First I would make it an overnight adventure. Second take some time in a parking lot to get use to the bike and trurning the handle bars. Lean a little with the ryde. Remember to force yourself to get off every hour and stretch your legs. Most important part of the break is to have plenty of litarutre to pass out to anyone who wants to talk about the ryde. Set the timer on watch for 15-30min so you don't talk to long . Get back on and smile about the decision to buy this wonderful machine.
    Welcome aboard.