Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron bar on 2014

Spyder Garage

Default Ron bar on 2014

Has anyone installed or had installed the Ron Bar on a 2014 RTS. Friend of mine is having his done by a dealer and they said it takes at least three hours and they have to take the front end apart. Input???

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Has anyone installed or had installed the Ron Bar on a 2014 RTS. Friend of mine is having his done by a dealer and they said it takes at least three hours and they have to take the front end apart. Input???
    They are ripping him off! From what I have been told, the 2014 RT swaybar is a little bit simpler to replace than the 2013, and the front end doesn't need to be removed.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default No way...

it took me 3 hours to install ron bar on my 2014 RT Limited. I would guess around 2 hours and I did not take the trunk apart. Just have to be able to jack the machine up high enough to get the old bar out and the new bar in the channel. The getting it high enough is what took the most time for me.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehole View Post
    it took me 3 hours to install ron bar on my 2014 RT Limited. I would guess around 2 hours and I did not take the trunk apart. Just have to be able to jack the machine up high enough to get the old bar out and the new bar in the channel. The getting it high enough is what took the most time for me.
    The hard part is getting it high enough, which depends on what you are using. But there is no need to remove the nose unless the dealer wants to make it a lot easier from them and charge more.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. This is a very good dealer so I'm wondering if he might have misunderstood what they were telling him.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

It takes about 30 minutes for Spyderpops to do it, he has done mine and several others. Just get the bike high enough and it slides out. No need to remove front end. They will be doing them at Spyderfest

cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. This is a very good dealer so I'm wondering if he might have misunderstood what they were telling him.
    Or the dealer has never swapped an swaybar before and that is their way to approach it. If he got the swaybar from Ron or Spyderpops, the instructions are in it, and regardless of being a BRP dealer, they can learn a thing or two by reading instructions (I know I have )

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

How high do you need to get the front end off the ground on a 2013 ST?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How high; is high enough?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

It is a lot easier if you remove the frunk etc. but not nesessary at all. The 2013/14's need to be high enough to get the bar in and out. If they feel they can't do it that way check around you will find a shop that will. Once in you will be happy with the change....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye299 View Post
    How high do you need to get the front end off the ground on a 2013 ST?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think 22 or 24"? Somewhere in that range. It is in the instructions. Only took me about an hour to do mine.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, installed BajaRon bar - easy

Very easy to do - here's the post that I put up when I completed mine on my 2014:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64799-One-more-farkle-completed!-Bajaron-Sway-Bar-Install&referrerid=12858

Short answer -- about 20-21 inches from frame to floor to remove bar and replace with new bar. Removing old bar and replacing with new bar takes about 30 seconds at this height. All other work can be at a lower height. Need to raise it up just to get the old bar out and the new bar in.

Happy farkling!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20" to 21"?
    thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I haven't done my 2014 yet, but on the 2010 & 2013 we loosened bolts on the front trunk then slip in a piece of wood as a spacer to move the trunk forward. I believe that that was in the instructions.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I haven't done my 2014 yet, but on the 2010 & 2013 we loosened bolts on the front trunk then slip in a piece of wood as a spacer to move the trunk forward. I believe that that was in the instructions.
    We didn't use a spacer on the 2013 RT. You have to loosen the radiator cover and remove the bottom pans, but no need to loosen and space out the frunk. However, you do on the RS/GS.

Previously owned:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I was installing my Ron Bar on my 14 RT-L I couldn't get it to go into the channel. Had the bike high enough to remove the old bar out the right side. Tried to install the RB from the right side...would not go. After several attempts I said to myself, let's try inserting it from the left side, and walla in it went.

Mentioned this to Ron and he said the slot for the bar is offset on some bikes and since his bar is thicker than the OEM it may have to be inserted in a particular direction. He also said he would add this info to the installation instructions.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

There are several install methods depending on which Spyder model you have. It's not a 1 approach fits all.

2008-2012 GS/RS/RSS - Removing the Front Trunk (Frunk) is a viable approach but not necessary. You only need to get the front high enough to get under the Spyder.

2010-2012 RT (all models) - Do Not remove the Frunk! Bad Idea! You only need to get the front high enough to get under the Spyder

All 2013/14 Spyders - Do Not remove the Frunk! Bad Idea! I have been told that the shop manual says to remove the Frunk for a sway bar install. I have no idea why. Not only is it time consuming but it provides no advantage and runs the risk of damaging all that Tupperware.

If the shop is not familiar with this process they will want to follow the shop manual, do all this extra, needless work and charge you for it.

You need to get about 21" of clearance between the bottom of the frame channel and the floor. This is not the same as how much lift is needed as the frame is already 4"-5" off the floor. So you'll need about 16"-18" of actual lift. This only applies to the 2013/14 Spyders.

Getting this much lift is the hardest and most time consuming part of this install. The dealership can do this in about 2 minutes on a lift.

My instructions detail each method appropriate to the bar kit shipped. Some have been able to get dealerships to actually read them.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-18-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Instructions were great for BajaRon Bar Install

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are several install methods depending on which Spyder model you have. It's not a 1 approach fits all.

2008-2012 GS/RS/RSS - Removing the Front Trunk (Frunk) is a viable approach but not necessary. You only need to get the front high enough to get under the Spyder.

2010-2012 RT (all models) - Do Not remove the Frunk! Bad Idea! You only need to get the front high enough to get under the Spyder

All 2013/14 Spyders - Do Not remove the Frunk! Bad Idea! I have been told that the shop manual says to remove the Frunk for a sway bar install. I have no idea why. Not only is it time consuming but it provides no advantage and runs the risk of damaging all that Tupperware.

If the shop is not familiar with this process they will want to follow the shop manual, do all this extra, needless work and charge you for it.

You need to get about 21" of clearance between the bottom of the frame channel and the floor. This is not the same as how much lift is needed as the frame is already 4"-5" off the floor. So you'll need about 16"-18" of actual lift. This only applies to the 2013/14 Spyders.

Getting this much lift is the hardest and most time consuming part of this install. The dealership can do this in about 2 minutes on a lift.

My instructions detail each method appropriate to the bar kit shipped. Some have been able to get dealerships to actually read them.

Hope this helps.
    Ron, thanks to help clarify for folks. When I installed on my 2014 RT L , absolutely NO PROBLEMS! Easy install...you just have to plan how you are going to safely raise the bike for the bar swap outs.

Your instructions were excellent and clear!

A few pics of the install on this link: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64799-One-more-farkle-completed!-Bajaron-Sway-Bar-Install&referrerid=12858
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 04-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

When all is said and done.. The main thing to remember is that the SWAY bar is a great ride enhancer even on the 2014 so is well worth it...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Update?

Spyder Garage

Default Ron Bar

Took about an hour on my 2013. But, beware. Get the BajaRon heim links too. I just broke a BRP link in a curve and crashed. Bent frame and may be totaled. $15,000 in damage. So far.

Spyder Garage

Bruiser, I had one installed along with an aftermarket trailer hitch and the cost was $107. My dealer charges around $90 per hour to give you an idea of time. And no, they did not pull the frunk.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Bruiser, I had one installed along with an aftermarket trailer hitch and the cost was $107. My dealer charges around $90 per hour to give you an idea of time. And no, they did not pull the frunk.
    1 hr - 1.5 hrs. labor at a dealership for the sway bar install is reasonable. The 2013's (All) and 2014's (All Except the RT models) are the most time consuming install of the sway bar.

Spyder Garage

He picked up the RT last Friday. Not sure how long it took to install the bar. He had his heated comfort seat replaced, the heat unit was protruding through the padding making it feel like sitting on a boulder, his words. He also had the bump skid installed. IMHO, I don't think it took more than three hours for all of it. The salesman and I told him the handling would be different with the sway bar installed. When we got back to his house he said he couldn't believe the difference. This week he'll be taking his wife's RT in for the bump skid and sway bar.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

just did mine in about 1 hour on my 2013 RT S SM5 will try it tomorrow