Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone replaced their own Master Cylinder?

I have an '08 GS that is going in the shop for a new Master Cylinder. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has done their own Master Cylinder replacement, and if they would rate the level of difficulty for the repair. I do my own basic maintenance, but have never done a Master Cylinder. On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is it? Should I just pay the $540 and have the shop do it? Thoughts...opinions?
    Last edited by Spyder Tony; 04-17-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

That price you quoted is for the clutch and master cylinder..?? Is the master cylinder for the clutch or brake system or is it the slave cylinder at the clutch..?? Now as to changing the master cylinder, it is not that hard. Bleeding the system can be a pain. The fluid is corrosive so a lot of care has to be taken. Depending on the price and they are doing the clutch I would have them do it. Check parts price and labor costs and see if it's worth it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I understand that u can't effectively do the bleeding without being on buds. I would highly recommend this being a dealer task.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    I understand that u can't effectively do the bleeding without being on buds. I would highly recommend this being a dealer task.

follow the steps in the service manuel and you can do it without buds.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    That price you quoted is for the clutch and master cylinder..?? Is the master cylinder for the clutch or brake system or is it the slave cylinder at the clutch..?? Now as to changing the master cylinder, it is not that hard. Bleeding the system can be a pain. The fluid is corrosive so a lot of care has to be taken. Depending on the price and they are doing the clutch I would have them do it. Check parts price and labor costs and see if it's worth it....
    Whoops...I just noticed that I typed clutch in the 1st sentence (but I edited it just now). The quoted price is just for Master Cylinder replacement and labor. I believe the MasterCylinder is for the braking system. I say this because I intermittently get "Brake Failure". I read posts on the subject and topped off the clutch fluid...but still get the "Brake Failure" message. Was at the dealership for unrelated business, and they took a quick look & said my Master Cylinder is failing, and that at my mileage (41,000) that was about right. I have to say that I trust the shop, but do my own work on the '08 unless it is beyond me, or warranty/recall repairs. The '13 ST-L goes in the shop for everything since it is fully covered under warranty.

Thanks for the information!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    Whoops...I just noticed that I typed clutch in the 1st sentence (but I edited it just now). The quoted price is just for Master Cylinder replacement and labor. I believe the MasterCylinder is for the braking system. I say this because I intermittently get "Brake Failure". I read posts on the subject and topped off the clutch fluid...but still get the "Brake Failure" message. Was at the dealership for unrelated business, and they took a quick look & said my Master Cylinder is failing, and that at my mileage (41,000) that was about right. I have to say that I trust the shop, but do my own work on the '08 unless it is beyond me, or warranty/recall repairs. The '13 ST-L goes in the shop for everything since it is fully covered under warranty.

Thanks for the information!!!
    What code are you getting I just repaired my brake failure with out the buds my code c1282

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You didn't say how your brakes were functioning. It may be low brake pressure which should show that error message. I have never heard of a life expectancy on the MC BTW. Has anyone else?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank You...

I want to thank all of you who replied with info/suggestions. I am sitting in the waiting room of the dealership as we speak. I opted to have it done professionally this time around. I just didn't feel comfortable doing it myself this time around. Done it on cars before many times, but have to do more research (YouTube vids) b4 doing it on the Spyder myself.